Welcome Guest!
 Aceh list
Aceh to Ban Sales of Tight Clothing  Tapol
 Jun 07, 2012 09:36 PDT

From Joyo

[Women continue to be the target of repressive measures in Aceh. TAPOL]

Deutsche Presse Agentur
June 7, 2012

Aceh to Ban Sales of Tight Clothing

by Ahmad Pathoni

Banda Aceh. Shops in Indonesia’s Aceh province, where Islamic law is
in force, will soon be banned from selling tight-fitting clothes, an
official said on Thursday.

The announcement was made after religious police in the provincial
capital, Banda Aceh, stopped and reprimanded more than 50 women and
three men for violating the Islamic dress code, including wearing
tight clothing and shorts.

Samsuddin, the head of enforcement at the agency overseeing compliance
with Islamic law in Aceh, said his office would issue a circular
banning shops from selling body-hugging fashion items.

“We will soon send letters to shop owners,” Samsuddin said. “The newly
elected governor very much supports the enforcement of Islamic law.”
Zaini Abdullah is due to be sworn in as Aceh’s new governor on June 26
after winning an election in April.

Shariah police in Aceh regularly carry out patrols to enforce the rule
of Islamic modesty and a ban on unseemly contact between unmarried
couples.

Officers recorded the personal details of those behaving in an
unseemly manner, lectured them, and told them they could be detained
or lashed if they were caught again.

Samsuddin said his officers had netted 300 women who violated the
Islamic dress code in the past two months.

Munway, one of the three men stopped for wearing shorts in Thursday’s
operation, pleaded for leniency.

“I’m a construction worker and I’m laying bricks,” he told a woman
officer who asked him to show his identity card. “I’m outside because
I’m going to buy some paint.” Munawar said he agreed with Islamic law
but men should not be arrested for wearing shorts.

Under Aceh’s Islamic law, the sale of alcohol is banned across the
province and gamblers are punished by caning.

The law was imposed in 2001 as part of special autonomy granted by the
central government to pacify a clamor for independence in the province
on the northern tip of Sumatra.

The separatist conflict killed an estimated 15,000 people, mostly
civilians, before it ended with the signing of a peace pact between
the government and the Free Aceh Movement (GAM) in 2005.

--
Get Short, Timely Updates - Follow us on Twitter: @JoyoIndoNews

-- Get Short, Timely Updates - Follow us on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/JoyoIndoNews - @JoyoIndoNews and join us on Facebook:
http://facebook.com/JoyoNews