Welcome Guest!
 austin-bikes
Clear channel stations inciting anti-bike violence  Lane S. Wimberley
 Oct 21, 2003 14:01 PDT

I don't recall having seen this come across the list (unless I missed
it somehow). Either way, I imagine some of you have heard about
this. Disturbing, to say the least.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/chi-0310140066oct14,1,6358088.story?coll=chi-leisuretempo-hed

Requires a free subscription (username/password) to Chicago Tribune
website.   Here's the first paragraph or two...

Cyclists fail to see the humor in deejays' calls for assaults

By J. Michael Kennedy
Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times
Published October 14, 2003

Kevin Bray was, well, shocked, when he heard that shock jocks were
urging their listeners to run bicyclists off the road. He was
horrified when he found out it had happened at least three times since
July, in each case at stations owned by radio behemoth Clear Channel
-- first in Cleveland, then Houston and finally at a station in
Raleigh, N.C. To Bray, an avid cyclist and veteran North Carolina
highway patrolman, there seemed to be an ominous pattern developing.

"All I can say is, `Who's next?'" said Bray, who has filed a complaint
against the Raleigh station with the Federal Communications
Commission. "What these people are doing is some sort of sick
marketing ploy."

-Lane

Lane Wimberley             8303 N. MoPac, Suite A-300 Austin, TX 78759
Wayport, Inc.                512.519.6195 (voice)    512.519.6200 (fax)

"One does not climb to attain enlightenment, rather one climbs
because he is enlightened." - Zen Master Futomaki