Welcome Guest!
 austin-bikes
Clear Channel DJ's call for assaults on cyclists  David Dobbs (Realtime)
 Oct 22, 2003 01:39 PDT

--============_-1145313162==_ma============

Re: Attached story from Los Angeles Times and complaint by Kevin
Bray against Clear Channel Communication radio station WDCG-FM in
Raleigh, NC.

Dear FCC Complaint Section:

Like Kevin Bray, below, I, too, am an avid cyclist. I log 50 to 60
miles a week on Austin streets often in difficult traffic conditions
with impatient aggressive drivers who regularly break the law and are
frequently intolerant of other travelers, particularly those of NOT
in an automobile. Daily drivers hurl insults at me from passing cars
without any provocation whatsoever even when I am riding on
sidewalks! They also habitually encroach on my space and fail to
yield when I have the legal right-of-way.

Given that drive-time radio is heavily patronized, the FCC needs to
come down hard on radio stations and disk jockeys that incite
violence on our streets and encourage individuals already so inclined
to maim and kill others.

This is NOT free speech but clearly a case of "clear and present
danger." As Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes observed "The most
stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in
falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. It does not
even protect a man from an injunction against uttering words that may
have all the effect of force. The question in every case is whether
the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a
nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring
about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent. It
is a question of proximity and degree." (SCHENCK v. UNITED STATES 249
U.S. 47).

In this case, Congress has empowered you to act and therein prevent
grievous personal and public harm by sending a clear message to the
offenders here, and others so inclined, that the public air waves
cannot not be used legally for "uttering words that may have all the
effect of force..." given the circumstances in question.

Apologies in this matter are simply not enough. These DJ's were
advocating cold-blooded murder.

Sincerely,

David D. Dobbs
9702 Swansons Ranch Road
Austin, Texas 78748
(512) 282-1149

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

re-priinted from the Los Angeles Time, October 7, 2003

Cyclists fail to see humor in DJs' calls for assaults.

By J. Michael Kennedy, Times Staff Writer

Kevin Bray was, well, shocked, when he heard that shock jocks were
urging their listeners to run bicyclists off the road. He was
horrified when he found out it had happened at least three times
since July, in each case at stations owned by radio behemoth Clear
Channel - first in Cleveland, then Houston and finally at a station
in Raleigh, N.C. To Bray, an avid cyclist and veteran North Carolina
highway patrolman, there seemed to be an ominous pattern developing.

"All I can say is, 'Who's next?' " said Bray, who has filed a
complaint against the Raleigh station with the Federal Communications
Commission. "What these people are doing is some sort of sick
marketing ploy."

That thought has also occurred to Patrick McCormick, director of
communications for the 40,000-member League of American Bicyclists,
an organization dedicated to preserving cyclists' rights. He said his
group has been deluged with complaints now that three major radio
markets have been beset by the same anticyclist comments. "We're
still contemplating what we're going to do as a national
organization," McCormick said.

The incidents have stirred rage in the cycling world. In each
incident, disc jockeys derided cyclists and encouraged listeners to
run them down. In the latest example, at Raleigh station WDCG-FM,
disc jockeys Bob Dumas and Madison Lane began their rant against
cyclists on Sept. 22. In the course of the program, listeners flooded
their telephone lines to vent about cyclists, including one woman who
boasted that her father intentionally hit one while they were on the
way to church. One of the DJs promoted the joys of hitting cyclists
with Yoohoo bottles.

When patrolman Bray heard about the program, he wrote an e-mail to
the shock jocks, warning them they were instructing the motoring
public in how to commit assault with a deadly weapon - their cars.
Bray also informed them that he was reporting them to the FCC.

"I don't know much about radio broadcasting," he wrote. "But I have
enough sense to know that these acts are either illegal or contrary
to the code of ethics you should be bound by when the FCC allows you
to go on the air."

The station's initial response came from station manager Kenneth
Spitzer, who referred to the show as "animated banter." But after a
demonstration outside the station and the threat by advertisers to
pull out, Spitzer issued a public apology on the air Thursday.

The first of the anticyclist diatribe occurred last July in
Cleveland, when WMJI-FM disc jockeys suggested cyclists be rammed off
the road. One of those who got on the phone to defend cyclists was
Lois Cowan, who co-owns four bike shops in the Cleveland area.

"I was repeatedly called a buffoon, an idiot and a PMS sufferer who
couldn't take a joke," she said. "Then there were three hours of
calls from people saying, 'Yeah, you guys are right.' "

The session left Cowan in tears, but she immediately swung into
action, helping engineer a bombardment of calls and e-mails to the
station. In the end, the station called a truce and agreed to, among
other things, hundreds of public-service announcements about the need
to share the road.

The Houston incident also took place in September, and the timing of
the show infuriated the city's cycling community. On Aug. 30, a woman
driving a pickup truck had lost control and slammed into a 20-bike
pace line, killing two riders and injuring eight others. Three days
later, the disc jockeys at station KLOL-FM went on their antibiking
rampage, setting off another round of protests.

"When you incite people to violence, you've crossed the line,"
insisted Houston cyclist Frank Karbarz, who helped organize against
the station. "They did it almost like a tutorial. It wasn't humorous.
It was how to hurt someone."

Cowan doesn't believe that Clear Channel, which owns more than 1,200
radio stations in the U.S., is encouraging the anticycling venom. She
said it's more probable that word spread among disc jockeys that
knocking cyclists is sure to push emotional buttons with their
listeners.

Clear Channel, for its part, said through a spokesperson that each
station was "operated and produced independently," and "each station
is working to correct the problem in their city."

But noted cycling writer Ed Pavelka said he felt the three incidents
have at least the makings of a trend. "First it was Cleveland, then
Houston and Raleigh," he said. "Either someone's not getting the
message, or someone's doing it with intent."

In 2001, 728 cyclists were killed in accidents involving motor
vehicles in the United States. And an additional 45,000 cyclists were
injured.

Legally, cyclists are afforded the same rights as motorists. Lawyer
Gary Brustin, who specializes in cycling cases, noted that some
motorists just don't like sharing the road with bikes. "They just
don't like them."