Welcome Guest!
 austin-bikes
RE: [RE: Clear channel stations inciting anti-bike violence]  Herb Stark
 Oct 22, 2003 14:48 PDT

Two people killed and it does not appear to have made the Houston Chronicle.
Can anyone give a link to this story from a legitimate news source?

Herb with a Big Grin
BOOF #2
BMW K1200LT "Das Tier"
TerraTrike 3.4 "Terror Trike"
www.texasblueberryfarm.com

Herb Stark

Stark Outdoor Advertising
2038 Centenary Circle
Longview TX 75601
903-736-7591
903-553-9940fax
Http://www.herbstark.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Thorne [mailto:jeffrey-@usa.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 12:49 PM
To: phil.ha-@analog.com; austin-@topica.com
Subject: Re: [RE: BIKE: Clear channel stations inciting anti-bike
violence]

From Roadbikerider.com, some more information, including Clear Channel
contact
info.

Stop Radio 'Hate Crimes' Against Cyclists

The following is from Frank Karbarz of Houston, TX. It speaks for itself.
After reading, please consider voicing your opinion to the people in
authority. We'll spare you the grisly details of the accident. This is an
attempt to stop the public airwaves from being used to make light of
cyclists'
deaths and advocate intentionally dangerous driving.

On Saturday morning, August 30, 2003, a 20-rider paceline was hit by a
pickup
truck near Lake Jackson, TX, in the Houston area. Two cyclists were
instantly
killed. Eight others were injured. One had to be life flighted.
This was a horrible accident. But I'm writing to RBR about subsequent events
that sound identical to your story in issue No. 106 about the Cleveland
radio
station that advocated hate crimes against cyclists.

On Tuesday morning, the DJs on the local Clear Channel radio station, KLOL
(101), turned Saturday's event into entertainment and advocated that their
listeners use their car mirrors to hit cyclists. Yes, another Clear Channel
affiliate like in Cleveland!

Obviously, Clear Channel thinks it is okay to continue support of such a
hate
crime. I wonder how their advertisers feel about potentially deadly and
criminal behavior.

This is a problem because most radio listeners are steering their
3,500-pound
weapon of destruction as they listen to the voices broadcast by Clear
Channel
throughout the entire country.

I urge all cyclists to support a letter-writing campaign to Clear Channel,
the
FCC, the local radio station program manager, and sponsors. Here are several
key individuals:

Mike Powell, FCC Chairman, mpow-@fcc.gov
Vince Richards, KLOL program manager, vinceri-@clearchannel.com
John Hogan, CEO, Clear Channel Radio, JohnH-@clearchannel.com
Mark Mays, COO, Clear Channel Communications, Mark-@clearchannel.com

Phil Hallmark <phil.ha-@analog.com> wrote:

not sure what to do about the following information, but I thought it
might be useful to someone more creative than me on this list:

Clear Channel stations in Austin:
KVET 98.1FM
KASE 101FM
The Zone Sports Radio 1300AM
KISSFM 96.7FM
Jammin 105.9FM
Z102 102.3FM

Patrick Goetz wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Nawdry wrote:

Clear Channel is a far-right radio media quasi-monopoly which
surreptitiously mobilized rallies for the Bush regime's war on Iraq
earlier
this year.

Astute students of the American political landscape will recall that it
was Clear Channel Communications that was surreptitiously behind all the
staged "protests" against the Dixie Chicks when Natalie Maines made a
statement critical of emperor Bush, including staging events where steam
rollers were used to squish 1000's of Dixie Chicks CD's in act not
dissimilar from the book burnings instigated by Hitler's minions at
Humboldt University and elsewhere (or, more accurately, in an act
IDENTICAL to Hitler's book burnings at Humboldt University and
elsewhere).

Combine this with Clear Channel's strong arming, censorship, and
intimidation of musicians (refusing, for example, to play songs by
artists who don't agree to exclusively play at Clear Channel - sponsored
concerts), and you have a perfect example of precisely why there are
rules
against media monopolies, and why regime-controlled media is almost
always
a bad thing.

The evils of Clear Channel has been extensively documented by writers at
salon.com, who I believe were responsible for uncovering the fact that
Clear Channel was behind the Dixie Chicks "protests". For information
straight from the source, go to salon, and search for "Clear Channel".
As
with most complex forms of clandestine wrong-doing, you'll have to do a
lot of weeding to sort the wheat from the chaff; in particular, there
there are a LOT of articles about Clear Channel on salon.com; all bad
news
for free thinking and/or music loving Americans.

CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE! http://BicycleAustin.info

CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE! http://BicycleAustin.info