Welcome Guest!
 austin-bikes
Re: lane position  Fred Meredith
 Apr 29, 1999 18:04 PDT
At 6:46 AM 4/29/99, Samish A (Adam) at MSXSOPC wrote:
 Laws aside, what do experienced commuters consider the safest lane position
for various traffic conditions?

When I encounter it, I try to ride to the left of the far right lane when in
heavy stop and go traffic; as one might encounter in a congested area like
downtown or around campus.

In Effective Cycling we teach that you choose the rightmost lane that goes
to your destination (one way streets are a special case) and within a
single lane use the rule of thirds--choose the place in the lane that makes
it clear what your destination is. That means left third for left turns or
lane changes to the left, Middle going straight and right for making a
right turn. That applies mostly at intersections. In mid-block or
non-intersection situations IF YOU ARE SLOWER THAN THE PREVAILING TRAFFIC
you should ride as far to the right as practicable. That means different
things under different conditions. Other people have covered some of
those, but they are spelled out in the Uniform Vehicle Code which carries
generally the same language as most state and city traffic law.

Fred