Welcome Guest!
 Avia Updates
August 2002 Update  Fred Pierce
 Aug 14, 2002 16:41 PDT
Wings of Freedom
The Morgans and Dauntless Dotty
P-61 photo essay
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
MAAM Sim Team

WINGS OF FREEDOM - AUGUST 17-18
===============================
It's hard to believe that WOF is here already - seems like the MAAM show
was only a couple of weekends ago. The Commemorative Air Force has a
great show coming to Frederick this weekend, with the scheduled P-38 and
Spitfire being a much hoped-for presence. In addition to all the
warbirds the show will have aerobatic acts, ground displays and lots
more. B-17 and C-47 rides available too.

A special attraction will be Justin Taylan, curator of the Pacific
Wrecks Database - www. Pacificwrecks.com. He and author, historian, and
president of Aerothentic Publications Michael Claringbould, who is
traveling from Australia, will be speaking on WWII aircraft wrecks and
Pacific war history at the show. Justin interviewed Gene Strine and
produced a very nice photo essay on MAAM's P-61 back in February. In
case you missed it on the P-61 links page here's the URL:
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/restore/maam.html. See the Wings of Freedom
show site - http://www.wingsoffreedomairshow.org for show details.

Colonel and Mrs. Morgan and Dauntless Dotty
First the good news. Congratulations to Colonel Robert and Linda Morgan
on their tenth wedding anniversary coming up on August 29th. The Morgans
renewed their vows last week and will further celebrate their union with
a trip to Bermuda. I know you'll join me in wishing the Morgans decades
more of wedded bliss.

As many of you know, Col. Morgan went on to fly B-29's in the Pacific
after bringing "Memphis Belle" safely home. His aircraft, Dauntless
Dotty, which led the first B-29 raid on Tokyo on November 24, 1944, was
lost on takeoff at Kwajalein after the Colonel had returned home. As an
ex-denizen of that enchanted isle, I have been excitedly following
Linda's efforts in tracking leads in hope of locating and recovering
Dotty. Although it seemed a hopeless task, her perseverance may have
paid off. See the press release at
http://www.avialantic.com/kwaj/dotty.html.

Still somewhat in the good news column is that the source of pain that
Linda has been suffering for many months has been found. The bad news it
that it is a condition called Arnold Chiari Malformation, that will
require brain surgery to correct. Linda will be undergoing this
frightening process next Tuesday, August 20th at 7:30am at Park Ridge
Hospital in Fletcher, North Carolina. Please send your good thoughts and
prayers her way.

P-61 Photo Essay
================
In addition to Justin Taylan's work mentioned in the Wings of Freedom
news, Chuck Gardner of the Warbirds Resource Group produced an excellent
photo update on the P-61 restoration. You can see it at
ourcegroup.org/registry/p61registry/p61registry.html?p61-4239445.html&2.
If for some reason that long url doesn't hold together the link is also
on the MAAM P-61 site.

I hope that Chuck's work will appease the many who email wanting (in
some cases demanding) updates of the P-61's progress. Please folks, keep
in mind that we volunteers are few and some of us may even have lives
outside of the museum. We do the best we can to keep not only the P-61
but myriad other projects moving. If you haven't already, why not become
a member and join in the fun.

Web Help Arrives
================
You may see changes occurring to the MAAM website in the not too distant
future, thanks to member Drew Ames who has volunteered to help bring it
up to date. Drew is an experienced web designer and his assistance is
greatly appreciated.

MAAM Simulations
================
Even if you haven't taken up computer flying yet, you will want to read
the press release -
http://maam.org/flightsim/maamsim_pr/press_release.html - announcing the
formation of the MAAM Simulations team. The release is self-explanatory
so I will only say here that it is great news both for the Museum and
for anyone who would like to virtually fly MAAM's aircraft. Also, a
visit to http://www.avsim.com where a search on MAAM will reveal lots of
news on the simulations as well as a nice photo essay on publisher Tom
Allensworth's visit to the Museum on Member's Day.

PTA Coming Up!
==========
Don't forget the MAAM Transportation Show coming up next month -
www.maam.org/transhow.html. No gunfire or marching, just a relaxing
weekend with a giant toybox of airplanes, autos and anything else that
relates to transportation.

Gathering of Corsairs and Legends
=================================
I'm told it will be the last big reunion of the Black Sheep Squadron,
and I would guess you won't see this many Corsairs in one place again
either. I hope to see many of you at this memorable event -
http://www.corsairgathering.com/. I'll be the one wearing the Corsair
t-shirt.

See you at an airshow or museum somewhere!

fdp

====================================
Fred Pierce - fpie-@avialantic.com
MAAM WWII Weekend June 7-9 2002 http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html
MAAM Transportation Show September 21-22 2002
http://www.maam.org/transhow.html
Mid Atlantic Air Museum - http://www.maam.org
Avialantic - Mid Atlantic Aviation on the Web -
http://www.avialantic.com
World Airshow News - the Airshow Magazine -
http://www.worldairshownews.com

WWII Weekend Participants (past & present) Links:

Col. Morgan and the Memphis Belle (and Dauntless Dotty) -
http://www.memphis-belle.com/
the Flying Tigers Association - http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/index.htm

Black Sheep - http://www.acepilots.com/misc_baa_baa.html#top
Bill Fili's Passage to Valhalla - http://www.ploiesti.net
Dick Rossi's autobiography -
http://home.att.net/~C.C.Jordan/Rossi-AVG.html
the Yankee Air Force - http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org
the National Warplane Museum - http://www.warplane.org/
Hannan & McKenna - http://members.aol.com/cabarethm/
Ghost Wings - http://www.ghostwings.com
7th Battalion Black Watch 1939-45 Re-Enactors
http://members.aol.com/rhrbw7bt/blackwatch.htm
Gross Deutschland - http://members.xoom.com/gdgrenadier/index.html
Oberkommando der Luftwaffe - http://members.aol.com/larry5337/luft.html
American Military Medical Impressions - http://www.ww2medicine.org