Welcome Guest!
 Avia Updates
Let the Airshows Begin!  Fred Pierce
 May 09, 2004 09:58 PDT

Avialantic Updates - May 2004
=============================

Editorial Blather -
Col. Morgan - bad news and good news -
MAAM WWII Weekend -
Other upcoming events -
======================================

From the Editor -
---------------
It would actually save me time if I produced these newsletters more
often. I would not have to spend fifteen minutes searching for the
Updates folder, figuring out how to log on to the list server, and other
re-learning that has to take place before I can do anything. Or maybe I
could just get my memory/brain fixed?

When I finally was able to get to my Topica list account I was
pleasantly surprised to see just shy of 2000 subscribers. Now guilt is
added to my burdon as I contemplate how long all these people have been
waiting for something in return for their having signed up.

I can't promise that I'll do any better but I do appreciate the interest
and will certainly try to distribute a bit more useful information in
the future.

Col. Robert S. Morgan hospitalized -
------------------------------------
The bad news is that "the Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle" fell and broke
his neck on April 21 and has been in the hospital 17 days as of this
writing. The good news is that he went through surgery yesterday which
has alleviated the discomfort of a head and neck brace and the prognosis
for his recovery, while long, is good. As his wife Linda says, he's not
out of the woods yet, so your warm thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

Those of you who know Col. MOrgan can imagine how difficult it is for
someone as active as he to be confined. Hearing from his friends is a
big help, so I hope you will visit http://www.memphis-belle.com/ where
you'll find a link to write to him and more information on his accident
and recovery. I think it would be great if all 1,926 of you did!

MAAM WWII Weekend
-----------------
Is nearly upon us! Just about everything I know is either on the MAAM
website - maam.org/maamwwii.html - or the David Schultz Airshow site -
http://schultzairshows.com/reading2004.htm - so I won't repeat the
details here. One recent addition though is the USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II
Demo Team along with Mr. Jim Beasley Jr. in his P-51D Mustang.   Each
afternoon the A-10 and P-51 will join in the air for the USAF Heritage
Flight. Get your tickets now at http://maam.org/wwii/wwticket.html.

Other Upcoming Events
---------------------
If you're a Jet Team Junkie June 15-16 is your weekend. The Andrews AFB
Joint Services Open House
-http://public.andrews.amc.af.mil/PA/jsoh/main2.htm - will feature both
the Blue Angels and Canadian Snowbirds, while the Dover AFB show -
http://public.dover.amc.af.mil/airshow/airshow.html - will feature the
Thunderbirds. Of course there's lots more. Sean Tucker will be flying
the Oracle Challenger - http://www.avialantic.com/links/oracle.html - at
Andrews, and the Dover lineup looks particularly intriguing. If you
haven't been to the Air Mobility Command museum at Dover yet, now's your
chance to view their collection at its best.

If you prefer a quieter, gentler event, head for the Horn Point Antique
fly-in - www.avialantic.com/paashorn.html - the following weekend. The
Potomac Antique Aero Squadron needs some good weather and a good turnout
to keep this event going and it would be very sad to see it end, so do
your anti-rain chants and plan a visit. Besides some beautiful antique
and classic aircraft and friendly people, you'll find the Dorchester
Museum on the field and often real, feathered Eagles overhead.

That's as far down the runway as I can see at the moment, but you'll
find more events on the Avialantic calendar -
http://www.avialantic.com/php/avia_events.php.

Have a great spring!

fdp

Fred Pierce - fpie-@avialantic.com
Avialantic - Mid Atlantic Aviation on the Web -
http://www.avialantic.com
MAAM WWII Weekend June 4-6 2004 http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html
Mid Atlantic Air Museum - http://www.maam.org
World Airshow News - the Airshow Magazine -
http://www.worldairshownews.com