Welcome Guest!
 Avia Updates
Fall Airshows  Fred Pierce
 Aug 25, 2005 06:30 PDT

Avialantic Updates - August 2005
==============================

Fall show highlights

Finally - the Abominable Summer seems to be letting up, density altitude
is at a respectable level and air events are bustin' out all over. I've
finally managed to get the Avialantic calendar updated so have a look:
http://www.avialantic.com/av-main/events.html

I'll just mention a few of the big ones. In particular, I'd like to call
attention to the new Martinsburg, West Virginia show (last one described
here), and also to let you know that although the Mid Atlantic Air
Museum's "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles" transportation show is not on
the schedule this year, plans are to bring it back in 2006 - most likely
in its traditional September setting.

Oh - one more thing: the Collings Foundation B-24, B-17, and B-25 are on
their annual tour and will be in the Mid-Atlantic area shortly. Check
the schedule http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm to
see if these great warbirds will be at an airport near you.

And now on with the shows...

Atlantic City - if you're on vacation and near the shore, "Thunder Over
the Boardwalk" will feature the Thunderbirds, actually over the water.
The main show is Wednesday, August 31 but there will also be one on
Tuesday, for a less crowded view. Yes, the team did bump airplanes at
Chicago but word is the incident won't affect their schedule.
http://www.atlanticcityairshow.com/ - a pretty slick show page, I might
add. I'm usually not fond of lots of animation and such but this one is
well done and there's a good bit of information on it.

Labor Day Weekend - September 3 and 4, is for the Patuxent Naval Air
Station's Air Expo, featuring the Blue Angels and other first-rate
military and civilian displays. Another nice resort venue with Solomanís
Island just across the bridge.

Still heading South, on September 16-18 at Oceana Naval Air Station, the
Blue Angels again. It has been many years since I have been to this
show. Several times Iíve had reservations at Virginia Beach and
chickened out because of hurricanes, or predicted hurricanes, or
something. This year I'm gonna make it! Time may be running out for this
one, and it's a great show. As you've probably heard or read, Oceana is
another of many installations threatened by development, base
consolidation etc. etc. so it might be a good idea to catch this
outstanding display while you can. http://www.neptuneairshow.com/

Heading back north and up in the hills, on September 24 and 25, the
Martinsburg, West Virginia "Spirit of America" show will feature the
first North American civilian jet team - the U.S. Jet Team - along with
an impressive array of performers, including the great "American
Barnstormer" Walt Pierce and wonderful wing-walker Melissa Hawks (and
I'm not just saying that because we have similar names or that I host
his web site!), my old friend Charlie Kulp ("old" in that we have been
friends for a long while, although I suppose approaching eligibility for
membership in the Union of Flying Octogenarians could be construed as
somewhat advanced, age-wise), plus the amazing Admiral Bill Finagin, who
first showed me the wonders of unusual attitude flying in his Giles 202.
The Air Force will be well represented with static displays and an F-16
demo.

Given the loss of so many airshows in Maryland, it's gratifying to see a
new one pop up, and I hope you'll make a special effort to support the
Martinsburg event, as well as the other smaller activities listed, such
as the EAA fly-ins.

Speaking of EAA fly-ins, I'll finish with the Winchester, VA event on
October 22-23. Both the MAAM B-25 and the Berlin Airlift Historical
Society's "Spirit of Freedom" C-54 flying museum will be on display
along with that beautiful fall scenery - http://www.eaa186.org.

I hope you get a chance to enjoy some of these events and some nice
crisp, haze and humidity-free air along with them. Now if we can just
keep those tropical depressions away!

fdp

Fred Pierce - fpie-@avialantic.com
Avialantic - Mid Atlantic Aviation on the Web -
http://www.avialantic.com
MAAM WWII Weekend June 2-4 2006 http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html