Welcome Guest!
 Berea Buzz
Internecine Mastrix: Letter to Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IA  rjak-@sbcglobal.net
 May 29, 2012 07:29 PDT

RE: Green Mafia - Environmentalism in the Service of $pecial Interests
To: Sen. Charles Grassley (R-IOWA)
February 24, 2005
The Panel on the Nonprofit Sector which was formed by Independent Sector
for the Senate Finance Committee regarding actions to strengthen
governance, ethical conduct, and accountability within the non-profit
community. http://nonprofitpanel.org/

Gentlemen,
For your information, on February 18, 2005, ICEA has filed complaints
against the Foundation Syndicate under these sections:
18) - Whistleblower protection
19) - Conflict of Interests/Inappropriate activity
One of ICEA's main concerns is the inability to resolve disputes without
forced costly litigation because the governmental agencies in place to
protect the community seem to be controlled by the same industries the
people need protection from. Until these issues are addressed properly,
the ideal sustainable democratic process, the chiefly economic ---
dynamic ideal of free enterprise, free markets and individual
opportunity based on merit and mobility --- the American Dream will be a
nightmare.
David Jakupca
ICEA
440-891-8376

THE GREEN 'MAFIA'
Cleveland's Eco-$yndicate Environmentalism in the Service of $pecial
Interests
THE GODFATHERS/TRUSTEES, this elite small group of private people
control and set policy for Cleveland's environmental scene and are the
Power Centers for the Eco-Syndicate.
THE LIEUTENANTS/ FOUNDATIONS. this public group sets the policies in
motion, handles the money and protects the Godfathers/Trustees from the
public scrutiny.
THE SOLDIERS/ COALITIONS, PARTNERSHIPS, these groups initially formed
and primarily financed by the foundations form the core of Cleveland's
Eco-Syndicate. These special interest groups' public and hidden "agenda"
is dictated by funds they receive from the foundations. By surrounding
themselves with >>legitimate concerned citizens, they are able to have a
degree of respectability. However, by investing, advertising and
promoting and intimidation and discrimination, they have created a
monopoly to carry out the political, ideological and methodological
interests of the Power Centers in a city that claims to be democratic.
The GREEN MAFIA dates to the early 1990s and was directly responsible
for the money to pave the way for the Clevelands ECO-YNDICATE. Green
Building Coalition, Eco-City Cleveland, Sustainable Communities, Earth
Day Coalition, Community Arts Partnership Plan are all related and
connected and have all power to implement policy and affect
environmental regulations for BIG BUSINESS while the Green Mafia is a
protected private group that can set the corporate and political agenda.

INFORM the PUBLIC Read and Circulate Mobilization for the Protection of
Civil Liberties 503.972.6764

Let's Study The Rich, Racist And Greedy
By Roldo Bartimole
We now as a community have established committees to study what to do
about poverty in Cleveland. Again.
After the embarrassing news that Cleveland ranks No. 1 in poverty, Mayor
Jane Campbell and other political, civic and corporate leaders jumped
all over the issue. They launched a new examination of poverty and what
to do about it.
Haven't we done this before? Haven't we done this in some form a
thousand times before?
Does anyone remember the U. S. Civil Rights Commission hearings of 1965
in Cleveland to examine poverty, its causes and its consequences? Does
anyone remember Mayor Carl Stokes 1968 Commission on Welfare in
Cleveland? Or the 1990 study, "An Analysis of Poverty and Related
Conditions in Cleveland's Neighborhoods?" Or the 1992 Cleveland
Foundation Commission on Poverty report on the long-term strategy for
eliminating poverty?
The Cleveland Foundation promoted Center for Urban Poverty and Social
Change at Case Western Reserve's School of Applied Social Science has
been in business for a decade studying Cleveland poverty. It now has a
staff of more than 25.
Yet the poverty rises and intensifies.
So where are the solutions?
I don't think we need another committee of muckity mucks to study or
examine poor people and tell us what to do. We've already had too many
examinations.
What we need is a community-wide study of wealth, racism and greed.
Let's have the Cleveland Foundation put up the dough for this community
study.
Then we might get somewhere in arresting poverty. Let's start by telling
the truth.
Poverty is the lack of wealth and we're doing damned little to address
that. We keep the minimum wage as low as we can. We eliminate to penury
welfare payments. The State of Ohio recently admitted having $430
million of federal welfare funds unspent and balking at giving it to the
rightful recipients - poor people.
No, we don't have to study poverty any more. We have to study the other
half. Then we have to do something about it.
Another committee to study poverty is not a solution. It is an evasion.
It's a delaying tactic. It is an avoidance plan. It has worked for
years, decades. Why not try again with the bait and switch. It is
political and civic <PROFANITY removed>.
One of the major institutions in Cleveland that needs to deal with
poverty is the Cleveland Foundation. That's the starting place because
as the Willy Sutton explained, he robs banks because that's where the
money is.
In 1991, the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy studied the
Cleveland Foundation, which is not only important in and of itself but
it tends to direct where other wealthy foundations put their tax-free
dollars.
While the National Committee found the Cleveland Foundation gave
considerable money to what we might call disadvantaged issues, it also
found that "the foundation tends not to directly fund grassroots groups
serving the disadvantaged, places few resources with groups that play
aggressive advocacy roles and has not supported community organizing or
leadership development strategies that focus on low-income communities.
"The foundation has expended few resources on risk-taking ventures that
directly involve the disadvantaged in decision-making," it continued.
The report went on to note: "The dominate theme of the foundation's
approach is its reliance on professional expertise, often drawn from
outside the Greater Cleveland area. Leaders of disadvantaged
constituencies are rarely
involved in direct dialogue with the Foundation about its policies and
program choices, and are not part of the Foundation decision-making
process."
It went on to say that, "Ša large majority of grants to benefit the
disadvantaged (are) provided to establishment community groups and
intermediary organizations that do no directly represent disadvantaged
constituencies."
Indeed, the history of the Foundation reveals that it sits on people and
groups that want change. It has a history of intolerance toward those
who demand change in a manner that pressures elites and the wealthy. It
has destroyed or changed by its funding policies those activist
organizations
that fought for the underdog.
The purpose may not have been to limit poor people per se but to limit
the harm that might befall rich people. The result, then, was the same.
"The scourge of overt discrimination against African-Americans and women
has been replaced by a more subtle but potent threat - the growing
concentration of the country's wealth and income in the hands of a few,"
the report said.
We see it locally with the power of our major foundations - the
Cleveland and Gund Foundations, among others - which fund elite
organizations, with Cleveland Tomorrow and the Downtown Cleveland
Partnership, well funded by wealthy interests, which work to dominate
the public agenda. We saw it clearly in their greedy push for a
convention center last year while the $100 million school deficit was
growing. They helped keep a school levy from the ballot.
Meanwhile, the Cavs have been given a 30-day extension on reporting its
quarterly statement, due Nov. 15 for the previous quarter ending
September 30. That statement would surely show that Gateway OWED the
Cavs more money and that once again Gordon Gund would pay no rent for
the use of the Gund Arena, built primarily by tax money.
The last reported statement from Gund was June 30, 2003. It revealed
that Gateway owed the Cavs $9.5 million, a strange situation where the
landlord owes the tenant money.
These negotiations have been going on for more than a year and in fact,
these disputes over team payments are unresolved for years.
Gund Arena cost $157 million. Jacobs Field cost $180.1 million. The site
costs for these facilities cost $41.8 million. The land cost $21.1
million. The Gateway garages cost $37 million. Of course, all these cost
tens of millions
more because of bond interest on all of them.
Since Bill Reidy, former partner of PricewaterhouseCoopers, has become
chairperson of Gateway the organization has operated almost totally in
private. Gateway was put under the Ohio Sunshine law when it accepted a
tax-exempt status in the early 1990s. It has failed miserably to live up
that commitment. It has been facilitated by the news media, primarily
the Plain Dealer.
So they can talk all you want about regionalism, building a new
convention center, funding the arts, creating new parks and boulevards -
just as they did about building Gateway, the Rock and Roll Museum Hall
of Fame and the Browns Stadium as solutions - but you won't even come
near solving Cleveland's death rattle.
Committees with a bunch of fancy names aren't going to help poor people.
Poor people have to learn that they have to pressure these elites
themselves. That's the only language the top dogs understand. Otherwise,
get in the bread line and be studied.

Inside the Green Mafia:
The Big Environmentalist Grantmakers
- by Jonathan Adler
By some estimates the environmental movement commands annual revenues of
nearly half a billion dollars. But that does not indicate widespread
grassroots support for their efforts.
Jonathan Adler of the Competitive Enterprise Institute distributed a
report he wrote on the specifics of big foundation donations to -- and
control of -- the establishment environmental movement. Environmental
groups, he estimates, have revenues of nearly one-half billion dollars
annually, and at least a dozen environmental groups have annual budgets
over $20 million, of which 20% comes from members. Adler also discussed
tensions among environmentalists, not all of whom appreciate the fact
that grantmaking foundations have a tremendous influence on their
agendas.
Adler also has written a book on the funding of the environmental
movement, "Environmentalism at the Crossroads," with a preface by John
Stossel of ABC, available from Capital Research Center at 202/393-2600.
Contact Jonathan Adler at 202/331-1010 or send e-mail to in-@cei.org.

Sincerely,
Christa Herbert

Full Story: