Welcome Guest!
 BrainEWord
BrainEWord C1125 Kibosh  John Babina
 Nov 24, 2002 20:59 PST
Today’s word is kibosh. (KYE-bosh or k'BOSH)

Please scroll down!

See www.birthdaycards.com for all types of free greeting cards!
Kibosh means to stop, put a halt, . . . to end something.

My father always used the expression “He put the kibosh on it”.

Origin unknown.

A web search will show several theories . . .
Yiddish, Irish, Turkish and German origins are proposed.
Sources: Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Ed.
An Etymological Dictionary of Modern English, Vol. I (E. Weekley)
Valid form/definition for North American Scrabble[TM] Players.

KIBOSH, KIBOSHES, KIBOSHED, KIBOSHING    verb   to stop

OS
BOSH
KIBOSH

BOSH, BOSHES     noun     nonsense