Welcome Guest!
 cog-l
Re: birds out west  John Walter
 Jul 01, 2004 01:55 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C45F91.4D3D34D0

Hi Tom & Jane,
Thanks for your trip details - despite the dry you seemed to have had a good trip. We head for Bowra again in 2 1/2 weeks leading a group from the Qld Field Nats. Ruth and I are then going on with fiends from Sydney into the channel country for about 5 weeks. I found out after I sent the info to you that Bindegolly was basically dry. I found your comment about no camping there a bit puzzling, as you were always allowed to camp on the south side of the road, as this is not part of the National Park. It may belong to Dynevor Downs Station however, but as such I was under the impression it was OK with them. As we will be going on that way from Bowra I would appreciate it if you would care to comment further. I was interested in all the Grey Falcon sightings, we had been at Bowra earlier than you in June and had seen one there. Bowra is also one of the best places for Quail-thrush and Halls Babbler.
There is a thread running through your report about overgrazing, and to some extent I would agree with you. However we have been involved with SWQ for over 30 years and bearing in mind the area out there [as well as here, Darling Downs] has basically been in drought since 1990 I don't think you should be too hard on these farmers. It is my impression over the years that they have made big strides towards better management and the majority of them care passionately about the state of their country. With regard to the Grey Grass-wren site at Pyampah Station I would suggest you maybe did not quite find the spot. My info is that the lignum is still there, but the swamp is dry however. I would also remind visitors to Pyampah it is owned by a Mr Betts of Wompah Station south of the border and a quick phone call from Tibooburra is in order.
Cheers John & Ruth Walter
----- Original Message -----
From: tom green
To: jwa-@growzone.com.au
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2004 6:46 PM
Subject: birds out west

Hello John,
Thanks again for your advice on west Qld birds.
We had a great time at Bowra.
Things are dry further west.
Bourke Parrots seem to have irrupted into the sw, we saw them at a number of places.

Kathy is very excited at her sighting of Ground Parrot at Green Cape.

Regards
Tom
------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C45F91.4D3D34D0

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>Hi Tom & Jane,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>Thanks for your trip details - despite
the dry you seemed to have had a good trip. We head for Bowra again in 2 1/2
weeks leading a group from the Qld Field Nats. Ruth and I are then going on with
fiends from Sydney into the channel country for about 5 weeks. I found out after
I sent the info to you that Bindegolly was basically dry. I found your comment
about no camping there a bit puzzling, as you were always allowed to camp on the
south side of the road, as this is not part of the National Park. It may belong
to Dynevor Downs Station however, but as such I was under the impression it
was OK with them. As we will be going on that way from Bowra I would appreciate
it if you would care to comment further. I was interested in all the Grey Falcon
sightings, we had been at Bowra earlier than you in June and had seen one there.
Bowra is also one of the best places for Quail-thrush and Halls
Babbler. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>There is a thread running through your
report about overgrazing, and to some extent I would agree with you.
However we have been involved with SWQ for over 30 years and bearing in mind the
area out there [as well as here, Darling Downs] has basically been in drought
since 1990 I don't think you should be too hard on these farmers. It is my
impression over the years that they have made big strides towards better
management and the majority of them care passionately about the state of their
country. With regard to the Grey Grass-wren site at Pyampah Station I would
suggest you maybe did not quite find the spot. My info is that the lignum
is still there, but the swamp is dry however. I would also remind visitors to
Pyampah it is owned by a Mr Betts of Wompah Station south of the border and a
quick phone call from Tibooburra is in order.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New" size=2>Cheers John & Ruth Walter</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV
style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
<A title=t-@netspeed.com.au href="mailto:tomg-@netspeed.com.au">tom
green</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=-@growzone.com.au
href="mailto:jwa-@growzone.com.au">jwa-@growzone.com.au</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, June 26, 2004 6:46
PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> birds out west</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hello John,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks again for your advice on west Qld birds.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>We had a great time at Bowra. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Things are dry further west.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bourke Parrots seem to have irrupted into the sw,
we saw them at a number of places.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Kathy is very excited at her sighting of Ground
Parrot at Green Cape.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Regards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Tom</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C45F91.4D3D34D0--