Welcome Guest!
 cog-l
Glossy Black-Cockatoos  Geoffrey Dabb
 Jul 03, 2004 21:47 PDT

Well, it's all happening in Canberra. Ian finding parrots to match
little-known sectors of the colour spectrum, David rattling every
tree in sight to move the mynas on to the next suburb, and Jenny busy
ticking off Spotted Turtledoves in her backyard.

In the end, my week of Glossy Blacks was rather mixed. I found them feeding
on Mount Majura on 2 days out of 3, missing out on the occasion I was trying
to locate them for Dominique Homberger, who had recently been watching them
further north.

Then, coincidentally, they turned up today somewhere else in the COG area of
interest. This was on the map being used for today's orienteering event
about 14 km east of Bungendore, right on the Great Australian Divide, just
north of the highway. Nicki Taws mentioned that they'd been about and sure
enough I found one feeding in
a dense area of small casuarinas. I'm told Wayne Gregson saw 4. The area
in question is about 40km in a straight line from Mount Majura. Evidently
our area, dry as it is, has pockets of trees with green cones that some
other areas do
not have at present.

                Geoffrey Dabb
email    :   gda-@austarmetro.com.au