Welcome Guest!
 cbc
Re: Warning on New Bikes  Walt Seifert
 Dec 21, 1999 13:39 PST
The warning is clearly there to try to reduce manuacturers' liability.
However, the manufacturers are also shooting themselves in the foot by using
such a blanket alarmist admonition. This statement hurts their sales and
scares people.

While cycling at night will probably always be more dangerous than daytime
riding (due to the proportion of drunks on the road as well as the reduced
visibility), properly equipped, knowledgeable cyclists can ride at night
without undue risk.

This warning should be changed. Maybe all it would take would be a letter
from CBC to the manufacturers. Does anyone know who they are?

Walt Seifert

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Bernstein <rd-@silcom.com>
To: Calif Bicycle Coalition Post <cb-@topica.com>; CABO Post
<cabof-@topica.com>
Cc: <rd-@silcom.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 9:23 AM
Subject: [CBC] Warning on New Bikes

 Hi to California Bike Advocates

I just parked my 20 year old bike next to a new bike in a bike rack.

The new bike had a warning sticker to wear your helmet which sounds
sensible. But it also has a warning sticker saying "Do not ride at night"

I use my bike to get to work and for most local errands and find it
disturbing that such a warning is being put on new bikes. If I didn't
ride at night, I couldn't ride to work. Following this warning turns
the bike into a toy rather than a means of transportation.

What do other folks think?

Robert Bernstein
President
Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition
Santa Barbara, CA
rd-@silcom.com

Get your favorite topic delivered daily.
http://www.topica.com/t/11