Welcome Guest!
 cbc
Warning on New Bikes  TG
 Dec 21, 1999 15:26 PST
--=====================_78394855==_.ALT

At 02:48 PM 12/21/99 -0800, John Forester wrote:

          Terence, use your brains. One doesn't have to be an expert to put
on a
seat belt. I was commenting on some other devices that have been installed
merely to avoid litigation, but which make the product less useful and more
dangerous, to all but experts.

John, I thought I was. You thought that you were "commenting on some other
devices that have been installed merely to avoid litigation," but in fact,
you chose some very peculiar examples.

True, saw hoods make working with the saw a bit more challenging (although
portable saws suffer more in this regard than table saws), but guess what
happens if you take them off? Sure, you get more litigation...filed by
people who are missing some body part. The hood isn't put there to "avoid
litigation," it's put there to make the tool safe to use.

As for the the "lawyers' lips," (great phrase, BTW, I'd only heard
"lawyers' lugs" before), yes, it takes an extra couple of spins to yank the
wheel. Do you suppose they were put there because some lawyer imagined
that someone might ride off with the axle loose? Or do you think that there
might have been an actual quadraplegic involved? Also, I would be quite
interested in your views on what the possible mechanisms might be by which
these lugs might "probably increase the probability of dangerously adjusted
quick releases."

And why "probably"? Do they or don't they? If they did, the fork
manufacturers would surely have that info. And what does "dangerously
adjusted" mean?

Ow, my head hurts! Too much thinking. I have to turn my brain back off now.
Just one parting thought--if you don't have to be an expert to wear a
seatbelt, then why have so few people figured out how to put them on?
Suppose they just put themselves on, like saw hoods. Wait a minute--some
door-mounted and motorized designs do put themselves on. But I suppose
that's "merely to avoid litigation." It's not like unbelted cage occupants
are in any danger of actual injury or anything like that.

--TG

--=====================_78394855==_.ALT

At 02:48 PM 12/21/99 -0800, John Forester wrote:<br>
use your brains. One doesn't have to be an expert to put on a<br>
seat belt. I was commenting on some other devices that have been
installed<br>
merely to avoid litigation, but which make the product less useful and
more<br>
dangerous, to all but experts. </blockquote><br>
John, I thought I was. You <i>thought </i>that you were "commenting
on some other devices that have been installed merely to avoid
litigation," but in fact, you chose some very peculiar
examples.<br>
True, saw hoods make working with the saw a bit more challenging
(although portable saws suffer more in this regard than table saws), but
guess what happens if you take them off? Sure, you get more
litigation...filed by people who are missing some body part. The hood
isn't put there to "avoid litigation," it's put there to make
the tool safe to use.<br>
As for the the "lawyers' lips," (great phrase, BTW, I'd only
heard "lawyers' lugs" before), yes, it takes an extra couple of
spins to yank the wheel.  Do you suppose they were put there because
some lawyer <i>imagined</i> that someone might ride off with the axle
loose? Or do you think that there might have been an actual quadraplegic
involved? Also, I would be quite interested in your views on what the
possible mechanisms might be by which these lugs might
"<i>probably</i> increase the probability of dangerously adjusted
quick releases." <br>
And why "probably"? Do they or don't they? If they did, the
fork manufacturers would surely have that info. And what does
"dangerously adjusted" mean?<br>
Ow, my head hurts! Too much thinking. I have to turn my brain back off
now. Just one parting thought--if you don't have to be an expert to wear
a seatbelt, then why have so few people figured out how to put them on?
Suppose they just put themselves on, like saw hoods. Wait a minute--some
door-mounted and motorized designs do put themselves on. But I suppose
that's "merely to avoid litigation." It's not like unbelted
cage occupants are in any danger of actual injury or anything like
that.<br>
--TG <br>