Welcome Guest!
 cbc
Re: Letter to local newspaper wrongly blames cyclist for
death
 Brian DeSousa
 Feb 16, 2005 20:19 PST

At 07:59 PM 2/16/2005, Lotzes wrote:
 A little background. Hoffman was an outstanding instructor at the local Jr.
College, an incredible athlete and a first-class human being who was run
down from behind and killed by an inattentive teenage motorist driving his
parent's Mercedes. The road is one frequently used by local cyclists, with,
as you know, every legal right to be there. Hoffman was riding legally.

Whatever you think of the lawsuit, blaming the cyclist riding legally on the
road is utterly wrong. Reminds me of the days when blacks were blamed for
"inciting" lynchings and torture in the south, or when women were blamed for
being raped.

I agree, but I'm surprised that the family sued the city and not the motorist (not completely surprised, as the city has deeper pockets than the motorist), and that the city settled instead of fighting the lawsuit.

By the way, would letters from those who live outside of the area have a chance of getting published?

Brian DeSousa
Orange, California

Past President, California Association of Bicycling Organizations <www.cabobike.org>
League Cycling Instructor #838, League of American Bicyclists <www.bikeleague.org>