Welcome Guest!
 Celtic History
Celtic Hist. Newsletter: Spanish Celts  hist-@historicgames.com
 May 03, 2010 16:28 PDT

The Celtic History Newsletter
Brought to you by
The Celtic Croft
http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/
&
MacGregor Historic Games
http://historicgames.com

Celtic Spain

People usually don?t think of Spain when they think of Celts, but
other than Gaul it is the only other place where the use of the term
?Celt? is documented in antiquity in the form of names such as
?Celtius? and tribal names such as ?Celti Praestamarici.? Celts seem
to have been just one of many peoples who lived in the Iberian
Peninsula at the time. They seem to have been concentrated in North
central Spain by the 2nd century B.C., but place names in the west and
north suggest their influence covered a wide range. Linguistic and
inscriptions have provided evidence to confirm the claim of Herodotus
that Celts were living in Spain as early as the 5th century B.C.

However Spanish Celts do not seem to have shared some of the artistic
motifs of other Celtic areas. Evidence of La Tene influence art does
appear in some of the metal work, but seems less common, and even less
so in other artifacts. Some scholars take this to suggest that the
Celts who made their home in Spain must have arrived earlier than the
5th Century B.C. otherwise they would have carried with them many more
influences from the late Hallstatt, or early La Tene styles that were
already common in central Europe by that time. Some suggest they may
have arrived as early as the late Bronze Age, and therefore had become
much more integrated with the surrounding cultures, which could
explain why except for their language they seem to have been less
?Celtic-like? than their cousins in Gaul.

----------------

For a little humor this month? I recently ran across a spoof website
making fun of conspiracy theories which includes a page on the ?Irish
Potato Famine Hoax? written by someone calling himself ?The Mad
Revisionist?
http://www.revisionism.nl/Potato/The-Mad-Revisionist.htm

Brought to you by

The Celtic Croft
See our wide range of kilts and accessories.
http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/
&
MacGregor Historic Games
See our special buy 3 decks of period cards and get free booklet of card games
http://historicgames.com