Welcome Guest!
 Celtic History
Celt. Hist. Newsletter Bits in the News  hist-@historicgames.com
 Mar 02, 2010 13:04 PST

The Celtic History Newsletter

Brought to you by
The Celtic Croft
http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/
&
MacGregor Historic Games
http://historicgames.com
-----------------------
Just a few Celtic related archeology/history tidbits I've run across
in the news recently.

Bronze Age shipwreck found off Devon coast
"One of the world's oldest shipwrecks has been discovered off the
coast of Devon after lying on the seabed for almost 3,000 years. The
trading vessel was carrying an extremely valuable cargo of tin and
hundreds of copper ingots from the Continent when it sank. Experts say
the "incredibly exciting" discovery provides new evidence about the
extent and sophistication of Britain's links with Europe in the Bronze
Age as well as the remarkable seafaring abilities of the people during
the period. Archaeologists have described the vessel, which is thought
to date back to around 900BC, as being a "bulk carrier" of its age. "
http://tinyurl.com/y9o43yf

Wine And Dine For Medieval Monks
According to archaeologists in Kilkenny, Ireland, have found out
evidences that prove clergy feasted on roast swan, T-bone steaks and
imported fine French wines unlike the general view of their devotion
to ?the simple life?.
http://tinyurl.com/ygalbx2

Experts bid to uncover secret that lies beneath Moray field
A field in Moray is being investigated as the possible site of a
former ancient settlement... A hoard of Roman coins and brooches,
Bronze Age gold-plated ring money, a shield stud, a gold ring and a
medieval belt buckle are among the relics found at the location in
recent years.
http://tinyurl.com/yclwexd

Ancient crates of spirits found in ice under hut of Irish Antarctic explorer
FIVE CRATES of alcohol have been excavated from under Ernest
Shackleton?s Antarctic hut. The crates are believed to have been left
behind over 100 years ago. http://tinyurl.com/ylpoten

Mad Jack was right at home in former tribal stronghold
OTTERBURN ? is it called after the otters who once frolicked in the
nearby burn? Probably, but there is an older possible root to the name.
http://tinyurl.com/ya33tc3

If you enjoy our monthly newsletter, please support it by visiting out
our online stores, or seek us out at the events listed on our websites.

The Celtic Croft
http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/
&
MacGregor Historic Games