Welcome Guest!
 Celtic History
Celt. Hist Newsletter: Celtic archeology in the news  hist-@historicgames.com
 Sep 06, 2011 12:27 PDT

The Celtic History Newsletter

Brought to you by
The Celtic Croft
MacGregor Historic Games

Afraid I'm in the middle of 7 weekends peddling our games at the
Minnesota Renaissance Festival, so I'm just going to share some
tidbits of Celtic archeology in the news recently.

But, first some info about a book available online. It is viewable
online, or downloadable as two PDF documents.
"The Book of the Club of True Highlanders" 1881.
In two volumes. A record of the Dress, arms, customs, arts and
science; of the Highlanders. Compiled from printed and MS records; and
traditions; and illustrated with etchings of Highland Relics, and the
Keltic Vestiges of Great Britain and Ireland.
I haven't taken the time to read it yet and see what 19th century
inaccuracies it may contain, but it looks interesting and has some
nice illustrations.
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/club/index.htm The site has
quite a number of other books available online as well

Broch casts light on Picts? Roman contacts
ARCHAEOLOGISTS have uncovered an Iron Age broch that they believe
became the seat of a Celtic chieftain and casts new light on contact
between the Picts and the Roman Empire.

Forteviot dig uncovering new story of Scotland's past
The colossal and exquisitely-preserved Iron Age broch uncovered near
Dunning is thought to have once been the seat of a Celtic chieftain.
Though just a fraction of the site has been excavated, the findings
have already been hailed by the Scottish Government and could have
"potentially far-reaching implications" for how we view our history.

Ancient London calling
The 1,000-year-old Tower of London and Westminster Abbey are
youngsters compared with London's oldest structures. Stone Age totem
poles, anyone?

Overseas students help unearth Trim's long-buried secrets

?Arthurian? quest to spare Stonehenge remains denied
LONDON A man claiming to be a descendant of the Celtic priestly order
of the Druids lost a legal battle Tuesday to spare human remains found
at Britain?s World Heritage site of Stonehenge from more scientific

Roman prostitutes were forced to kill their own children and bury them
in mass graves at English 'brothel'

Irish archaeologists say Spanish Armada wreck found

Beaker discovery delays health centre build
WORK on a 1.3 million health centre is to be delayed after an ancient
burial cist, containing a cup thought to be more than 4000 years old,
was discovered on the site. http://tinyurl.com/3tcb25l

If you enjoy our monthly newsletter, please support it by visiting out
our online stores, or seek us out at the events listed on our web sites.

The Celtic Croft
MacGregor Historic Games