Welcome Guest!
 Celtic History
Celtic Hist. Newsletter  hist-@historicgames.com
 Sep 03, 2010 15:08 PDT

Sorry it's gonna be short issue this month. We're busy doing the
Minnesota Renaissance Festival for another 5 weeks.

A couple things to mull over.

Lady Montgomery, wife of Sir Hugh Montgomery is said to have "set up
and encouraged linen and woollen manufactory (in Ulster), which soon
brougt down the prices of the breakens (tartans) and narrow cloths of
both sorts." -1613

-Could the beginning of such (manu-)factories might be part of the
reason the belted plaid became more common during the 17th century?

It appears that the desire for uniformity in the colors of tartan used
by a clans may have been starting in the early 1600's:
"remove the red and white lines from the plaides of his men so as to
bring their dress into harmony with that of other septs". -1618, said
to be from a letter from Sir Rbt. Gordon of Gordonstoun to Murray of
Pulrossie

Some old notes I made from
A Short History of the Scottish Dress.Grange, R.M.D. Burke's Peerage
Limited: London, 1966.
The Scottish Pageant 1513 - 1625. MacKenzie, Agnes Mure. Oliver and
Boyd: Edinburgh & London, 1948.
The Scottish Pageant 1525 - 1707. MacKenzie, Agnes Mure. Oliver and
Boyd: Edinburgh & London, 1949.

As I announced last month I've started a news in Celtic history and
archeology blog. https://celtichist.wordpress.com/ It working out to
about one entry a week.

Chas
--