Welcome Guest!
 chicago-pm
Fw: Manning Ebooks  Andy_-@wiwb.uscourts.gov
 Jan 06, 2004 17:28 PST

Got this (from buying Damian Conway's OOPerl on pdf) and just curious:
does anybody know of a fair DRM process? Aren't they just a chance for MS
to get control of your computer, or some scare phrase like that?

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_-@wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738 FAX 264-5030

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions." Now they have two problems -- Jamie Zawinski
----- Forwarded by Andy Bach/WIWB/07/USCOURTS on 01/06/2004 07:26 PM -----

Dear Manning Customer,

As a purchaser of a Manning ebook, would you please take a minute to
answer two questions to help us develop our ebook program?

In order to provide more flexible licensing programs and to stem the
alarming increase in piracy of these ebooks, Manning is investigating
digital rights management (DRM) solutions for use on future ebooks. We
want to minimize the inconvenience of DRM while providing protection
for us and more flexibility for you.

Many DRM solutions are available for Windows only, or Windows and
Mac OS X but not for Linux and PDAs. Please reply to this message and
place your answers below. We'd appreciate your opinion on the
following:

1) Would you consider (or continue) to buy Manning ebooks if they are
only supported on Windows and MacOS X?

2) How critical is support for PDAs? (and if critical, what platform -
Palm, PocketPC, etc)

If you have any suggestions, comments, and in particular know of any
cross platform DRM client solutions, please let us know in the space
below.

Thank you!