Welcome Guest!
 Cobirders
Birding Eastern Plains 8/29  Richard Stevens
 Aug 29, 2001 17:05 PDT
Hello cobirders;

Rebecca Kosten and I continued our Eastern Plains trip by birding the
northeast
corner of Colorado. The weather was hot today; winds moderate to high!

We suffered much to mosquitoes in order to check Overland Park in
Sterling this morning. One Yellow-billed Cuckoo called just after
sunset. It took us 1.5 hours before we managed to see the bird which
hid well in the cottonwoods. Two Lesser Yellowlegs were along the
South Platte River and one Red-headed Woodpecker flew through the woods.

Our hike through Sterling's Cemetery lasted about an hour. No birds of
interest were added to our trip list. Two White-breasted Nuthatches (WBNU),
a Red-tailed Hawk, and one Western Flycatcher were here.

Pioneer Park on the west end of Sterling also contained few birds.
There was one immature American Redstart and a couple of WBNU.

Sedgwick Bar Wildlife Area (Sedgwick County) was quite buggy.
Two male Eastern Bluebirds were in cottonwoods along the Platte River.
A male Red-bellied Woodpecker flew about upstream from the wildlife area.

Ovid Woods was quiet also. A couple of unidentified Empidonax species
perked our interest, however remained unknown species. We missed
identifying
a warbler that looked similar to a Nashville Warbler. The bird flew
upstream
onto private property before giving us a clear look.

Ovid Sewage Ponds was similarly slow. We found one Field Sparrow at the
eastern
end of the property. The only other sparrows seen were Song and
White-crowned.

Sedgwick Wildlife Area (south of Ovid), Julesburg Wayside Rest Stop, and
DePoorter Lake added little to our trip list. We did kick up a covey of
Northern Bobwhite at DePoorter Lake. One White-throated Sparrow was here
also.

Roger was waiting for us as we headed for the Danka Ranch for dinner.
He had staked out a Harris's Sparrow and relocated it for us! We are
waiting for the fried chicken to be cooked (as my cholesterol soars)
and plan to go owling after dinner.

I added some photos of a cooperative Cattle Egret taken yesterday at Lower
Latham Reservoir to the CoBus Website:
http://home.att.net/~birdertoo

Continued good birding!

Rich Stevens; Director, Colorado Birding Society
Denver, Colorado
Contact CoBus/Report Interesting Birds by phone: 303-285-3481 ext: 7238