Welcome Guest!
 cooking
Excerpt: Garde Manger, Past and Future  Steve O'Keefe
 Oct 28, 1999 15:25 PDT
In our convenience-oriented society, many of the culinary crafts of our
ancestors are only memories. Remember helping Grandma pickle cucumbers?
Or that sharp, delicious cheese your great-uncle always made? With modern
refrigeration and packaging techniques, these homemade foods often seem
less than necessary. However, the field of "garde manger," which
encompasses cheese-making and pickling, along with a dozen other pursuits,
is seeing a
rebirth in American cuisine, and is a very current term in today's
restaurant kitchen.

I have permission to distribute an excerpt from "Garde Manger: The Art and
Craft of the Cold Kitchen" (John Wiley & Sons), a new book from The
Culinary Institute of America on this wide-ranging specialty. The staff at
the CIA give in-depth directions for preparing salads, condiments, hors
d'oeuvres, cheeses, cured meats, appetizers, terrines, cold soups,
sandwiches, and more, along with recipes both traditional and new. The
step-by-step instructions cover every aspect of garde manger, from the
different kinds of spicy greens available to the handling and selection of
cheeses.

The excerpt I'm distributing, in particular, is a look at the origins of
garde manger, the basis of which has existed since early sailors discovered
that meat could be preserved using salt or seawater. This history lesson
follows the traditions of garde manger through to the modern day, and also
includes a sample recipe from "Garde Manger."

To get the excerpt, please send mailto:exce-@tenagra.com with the
subject line "Send Garde Manger," and I'll reply with a text file. If
you'd like to learn more about the techniques and background of garde
manger, please join us
for an Online Seminar with cookbook editor Mary Deirdre Donovan and Chef
Tim Rodgers, featuring further excerpts and recipes from his book:

=> Monday, November 1 - Friday, November 5
http://www.egroups.com/group/wileycooks/info.html

Thanks,
Steve O'Keefe