Welcome Guest!
 Cookshare
Intro + A Recipe  Bella
 Jul 30, 2003 12:31 PDT

Hi all,

In case there's someone here who doesn't know me (though I doubt it ...
:-DDD), here's an intro!

This is Bella (Isabel Brattkull) from Gothenburg, Sweden. I live here in the
second largest town in Sweden together with my mother Gull, my best friend
in the world, and my older brother Mikael. My mother is retired but working
part-time cooking for kids at a parent-owned daycare center, and my brother
is studying to become a teacher in history and "social awareness" (I'm not
quite sure about what the correct English word is for what he's studying at
the moment!).

Myself, I'm a 39-year-old recipe maniac who loves to share both recipes
and comments on them. Almost everything I send out has been tried at least
once and been well-liked. I also love to tell people about Sweden, my
beautiful country, and should anyone of you want to ask me questions on or
off list about Sweden and Swedish food or culture, I'll do my best to
oblige. I am an educated dietician but I haven't had a chance to work as one
thanks to the bad work situation in Sweden at the moment, so right now I'm
working in the postal service to pay the bills. It's a tough job and it
wears me out sometimes, but I have to "bring home some bacon" ...

I try to post easy-made recipes to the lists, but sometimes it can be
difficult for me to find the correct English word for a product we use in
Sweden, or it might be that the recipe contains ingredient/s that you don't
easily find where you live or they are expensive. Therefore, I will send out
a couple of "explanation mails" concerning Swedish dairy products and the
use of almond paste and vanilla sugar, which we can buy ready-made at a
fairly low cost in any grocery store here. I also know about the salmonella
situation in the U.S., for example, but sometimes it's hard to avoid egg
that's not being cooked in the recipes I send, as we don't have that
situation in Sweden - yet, I might add.

Having said all that, here's a typically Swedish recipe!

BELLA'S MOTHER'S VERY LOVELY APPLE CAKE
Bellas Mammas Mycket Underbara Äppelkaka

Serves 8 - 10 (for a normal-eating family, that is,
hee hee!)

8 large Granny Smith apples
lemon
butter or margarine for the dish
approx 1 1/4 cups flour
good 3/4 cup sugar
ice-cold margarine, taken straight
from the freezer

Peel, core and slice the apples right down into a greased oven-proof dish.
Drizzle some lemon juice between the layers for a fresh taste (and to
prevent the apples from getting dark). The dish should be very full, because
the apples give away lots of liquid and sink during the baking in the oven.

Mix sugar and flour thoroughly in a bowl and sprinkle all of it over the
apples. Shake lightly so that some of it will fall down between the layers.
Then cover the apples with thin slices of ice-cold margarine or butter.

Put it in the lower part of the oven at 400F for 15 minutes to start with.
Check the apples to see if they're ready. They shouldn't fight back but not
be mushy either, and the cake should be golden-brown on top when it's ready.
If needed, increase the heat to 425F and leave until ready.

Take the cake out and serve it slightly warm or completely cold with soft
vanilla ice cream or creamy vanilla sauce.

Hint: If you want to, you can mix some cinnamon in with the flour-sugar
mixture.

Enjoy!

Bella

Don't be angry with life.
There are so many things to be happy for.
Cold, fresh water,
green leaves
and the eyes of good people.

Eva Hedén