Welcome Guest!
 Cookshare
Mafalda's Fragrant Casserole  Bella
 Aug 02, 2003 15:23 PDT

MAFALDA'S FRAGRANT CASSEROLE
Mafaldas doftande gryta

I found this recipe in an "Allt om Mat" cooking magazine from 1983. It
was
featured in the "My Best Recipe" column, where readers can send in their
own
favorite recipes. This particular one was sent in by Christina
Bertolucci in
Italy, and Mafalda is her mother-in-law. We have made it many, many
times
since then, and we're delighted each time. It's really, really good. We
mostly use chicken or pork.

Serves 4

1 chicken, or 1 rabbit,
or about 2 lbs bone-in pork
3 tbs oil
1 tbs butter or margarine
2 - 3 split garlic cloves
scant 7 oz (1/3 lb) canned, whole,
skinned tomatoes
3 tbs red wine
2/3 cup water
1/2 bouillon cube
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sage
good 1/3 cup black olives
with seeds
salt, pepper

Cut the meat in pieces and brown in oil and butter or margarine in a hot
pot. Chop the split garlic cloves and add them, tomatoes, wine, water
and
bouillon cube. Flavor with the spices, salt and pepper.

Let simmer slowly, covered, for 20 - 25 minutes or until the meat feels
tender. Make sure it's not too dry, otherwise you'll have to add some
more
liquid. Add the olives and let simmer for 10 more minutes. Serve with
boiled
potatoes, rice or pasta and a salad. Enjoy!

Bella