Welcome Guest!
 csy
Yanmar installation & Lightning protection  rainbo-@pocketmail.com
 Dec 22, 1999 16:31 PST

George,

We did not change the shaft tube at all. We did however major surgery on the engine mounts.

We used the Yanmar transmission with the 7 degree down angle. The shaft is about 12 13 degrees to the bottom of the bilge, within the probably significant tolerances of my measurements. The further forward you mount the engine the more clearance you have with the bilge bottom. We have about one inch under the lowest point on the transmission.

Ed Marill was just here and took numerous pictures and will post them to his web site after the first of the year. Look on www.marell.com for pictures of our installation.

For my own reasons, which may on may not be valid, I am not in favor of grounding the rig. If you feel it works for you that's all that counts. I truly believe that there are so many variables that effect lightning protection that it's all a big "crap shoot". What is effective with one set of variables may cause a different set of problems with another set of variables.

I have posted my opinions on the csy news list, for whatever they are worth.

Bill