Welcome Guest!
 csy
Windows  David Kummerle
 Dec 27, 1999 03:01 PST
Hi,

Iron bars inside the big CSY 33 windows,.....I don't know. For many
years, back to Pearson's Countess 44, (and to wood critters long before
that) which also had pilot house windows in the middle 60's, the thought
was to make plywood blanks, bolted or wing nutted over the OUTSIDE of
the windows with some overlap, of course, which would then take the
initial whack, leaving the integrity of the original window intact.
Three-quarter inch plywood would probably not flex enough during that
whack to crack the inner window it was protecting. Wing nuts being a
choice if you are doing this "going in harm's way" offshore thing every
other month, or just bolting the things in place for a one shot deal.
Of course, you might bark your thigh or ass on the protruding bolt/wing
nut affair going forward in ordinary weather, or have some holes to fill
in with epoxy or colored Marine Tex or something later on. Might be
preferable to the "jail" look of the bars. Course the wood blanks cut
out the light some. But how often do you use them? Two thicknesses to
keep out the water in a bad Blue Darter seems better to me than one.
Nope, iron bars is scary........David