Welcome Guest!
 csy
Re: Bright Work - not...  D.Hanssen
 Aug 15, 2007 14:57 PDT

Hi Luc and Max.

Wrong on all counts, I am not a purist when it comes to bright work.
I have considered painting the teak with brown house-paint and then ignore
it for years at the time.
Instead I found my self a varnish guy that is taking care of the dirty work
for me.
Hence the strip job and the 15 coats of Epifanes.

Belive you me, I would never do a job like that myself, way too clumsy and
way too lazy.

Dag

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a
ride!"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max & Lucette of deLight" <csy33d-@gmail.com>
To: "CSY Forum" <cs-@topica.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 12:24 PM
Subject: [CSY] Bright Work - not...

"Mine is a faded grey with streaks of old Cetol"
"If I can't keep up with it, I will probably let is go gray and natural
again"
(those are two quotes from some of our fellow boaters, today)
- - -
I am going to go out on a limb here and ask a question and then duck...
Sorry to all you purest - Dag and Paul you know that we love you and Yes,
your boats are works of art - but here's my question...
- - -
Has anyone sealed the outside teak and then just painted over it? Like
with a
two part epoxy beige paint or a brown teak-colored paint?
I am sick of trying to keep up with the teak and then after every 20 plus
days
of ocean sail - the stuff looks crappy again. OR should I say a lovely
shade of
grey with streaks of old cetol...
- - -
I have also applied Bar Keepers Friend (oxalic acid) with wonderful
results.
But I have done that inside and then I paste waxed the teak and left it
natural.
- - -
so any one willing to admit to painting the outside teak?
You can always write me in private - if afraid - :-))
csy33d-@gmail.com
Lucette & Max
33 of the 33's
currently on the island of Terceira in the Azores