Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
    All Messages Next Message
CI Newsletter - Sept. Edition  Cuisine International
 Sep 09, 2000 08:50 PDT

- September 2000, Preliminary Edition

Welcome to the preliminary edition of the Cuisine International
Newsletter. The first regular edition will be published around the first
of October and will contain even more information. Each edition will
also be available on the Cuisine International web site accompanied by
pictures and links to other sites. You can find the web versions at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/newsletter/return.html

Each month we will bring you updates of what is happening at Cuisine
International including recipes, interviews with our chefs and teachers,
news of culinary events around the world, articles written by culinary
experts, restaurant reviews, links to other culinary and travel sites,
comments from our readers and a question and answer column. As always,
we welcome your questions and comments.

------
Travel
------

Owner Judy Ebrey and her husband Dick spent most of the spring
revisiting the schools in Tuscany and Portugal represented by Cuisine
International. During these trips, Judy has written some new articles
about her recent experiences. Her new article, At Home in Portugal, is
about her trip to our latest addition to the CI family, Refugio da Vila
in Portel, Portugal.

Also, look for the upcoming articles about Judy's recent visits to Villa
Crocialoni and Il Falconiere on the website soon.

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/articles/return.html

-------------------
Recipe of the Month
-------------------

Neapolitan Bolognese Sauce from the Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi, Italy

Ingredients:
2 onions
1 carrot
2 celery stalks
2 bay leaves
1 pound finely minced veal
olive oil
28 ounces pureed tomatoes
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup water

Finely chop the onion, carrot and celery. Sauté in the olive oil along
with the bay leaves and minced meat until the vegetables are soft and
the meat is browned. Add the wine and cook until evaporated. Sprinkle
the flour on top, mixing it in carefully so it does not clump. Gradually
add the water and then add the tomatoes. Gently cook until the sauce is
thick, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Serve immediately tossed with pasta that has been cooked al dente.
Serves 6 people. It is best served with a green salad and fresh Italian
bread. It can also be used as a filling for lasagna or as a pizza sauce.

This version of Bolognese sauce is much lighter than what we are
generally used to, always receiving raves when it is served at the
Hotel.

Find more recipes at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/recipes/return.html

-------------------------
Culinary Tip of the Month
-------------------------

Alex MacKay at Le Baou d’Infer in the Provence region of France reveals
the art of chopping an onion:

"Unfortunately there is no tearless way to chop an onion. The
next best thing is to get it over and done with as quickly as
possible."

"To peel your onion, first slice it in half lengthwise then,
keeping the core on, peel off the top two layers on each
side. Place the onions cut/flat side down then using your
sharpest knife slice horizontally towards the core being
careful not to go all of the way through. Repeat this about
four times then turn the onion so that the non-core side is
facing towards you. Slice downward 4-5 times, then turn 45
degrees and cut straight through to get your dice."

You can find more information on Alex McKay's school, Le Baou d'Infer,
at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/france/lebaou/index.html

-------------
Internet Link
-------------

http://www.buonricordo.com

For many years I have traveled through Italy dining in restaurants
ranging from Michelin Three Star to small family owned trattoria. About
20 years ago I began to visit the restaurants registered with Buon
Ricordo, an organization originated in 1964 combining the tastes and
flavors that are a part of regional gastronomic traditions paired with
the traditional colors in the Vietri ceramics. When customers order the
featured dish in the ristorante, they are presented with a beautiful
ceramic plate depicting the dish.

Collector plates can now be found in 26 restaurants in the USA, and in
Switzerland, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, and Austria. Buon
Ricordo America was founded in 1995 as a not-for-profit organization
comprising of prestigious Italian restaurants throughout the United
States dedicated to preserving and promoting the values of Italian
regional cuisine. Patrons who dine at any of these member restaurants
may purchase a plate as an everlasting memento of an enjoyable culinary
experience with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Audrey Hepburn
Children’s Fund. "Each Child is a reminder that God has not lost hope in
man."

My personal collection is now up to 17 plates and I certainly hope to
collect more. They are perfect for display. I use them to serve lovely
salads when serving an Italian meal.

----------------
Customer Comment
----------------

The following is from one of our recent attendees of the Palio Race week
at the Villa Table cooking school:

"The course and stay with Lorenza was more than what I ever
dreamed of and I totally enjoyed myself. Lorenza is such a
special and very warm person and I enjoyed not only the
classes but time spent with her and her friends and John
Meis who handled the tours."

"Having scheduled my course in time for the Palio races in
Siena ... was such an exhilarating experience and what
better way to experience something so close to an Italian's
heart than to be with an Italian explaining everything to
you! More than a cooking course, the class of Lorenza should
be explained that it is a cultural experience as well. Even
if a conscientious cook could easily learn Italian recipes
by following a cookbook, one does not get to experience the
Italian way of life and the beautiful Tuscan scenery and
special tours and dinners in the homes of Lorenza's friends.
It is as if Lorenza plans her Villa Table experience to give
each participant an opportunity to meet her wonderful friends
and vise versa."

"Lorenza has a totally different approach which I liked
because one cannot think of food just in terms of recipes
and cuisine but also the historical and anthropological basis
for the cuisine."

"I am getting more and more involved in this kind of thing.
I've had great times taking the courses that you suggest. I'm
sure I'll take some more in the future."

- P. Lim, Philippines

If you've had an amazing experience at a Cuisine International school
and would like to share it with our readers, please contact us! We
would love to hear from you and and would like to include you in our
next newsletter!

    All Messages Next Message