Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
CI Newsletter - Oct. Edition  Cuisine International
 Oct 09, 2000 10:50 PDT

- October 2000, First Edition

Welcome to the first regular edition of the Cuisine International
Newsletter. This month you get two bonus recipes in the web version of
the newsletter plus both versions have an article by one of our favorite
chefs, Alex Mackay of Le Baou d'Infer.

Our November issue will feature recipes to be prepared over the holidays
and a review of our trip to Morocco along with our regular features.
Make sure and drop us a line if you enjoyed this newsletter or would
like to see any changes or additions!

If you would like to view our Web version of this newsletter complete
with pictures, bonus recipes, and links to the associated schools,
please use the link below:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/newsletter/return.html

------
Travel
------

Judy & Dick Travel the World

September finds us in Morocco exploring their fabulous and exotic
cuisine. We will be traveling a large portion of the country with a
private guide and driver to be able to understand more of the culture.
During this time we will be visiting Dar Liqama, a luxurious Moroccan
style palazzo in the Palmeraie of Marrakech which will be a new cooking
school and villa rental location in the Spring of 2001.

The palazzo, consisting of an eight bedroom villa and five bedroom
separate house has amazing views towards the Atlas and Jbel Ette
mountain ranges and will reflect the highest degree of luxury in terms
of innovative Moroccan design and western comfort. The Palazzo is
situated on 4 acres of botanical gardens and features fountains, water
channels, a large swimming pool and outdoor shower, a sun deck, a spa, a
steam bath and a tennis court with viewing pavilions. Upon our return,
we will give you an update on what to expect at this wonderful new
school.

We will also spend three weeks at the Hotel Luna Convento where we go
twice a year to "renew our souls." Enrico Franzese will, as always,
have wonderful Neapolitan recipes waiting for us and Rosemary Anastasio,
our dear interpreter and friend, will once again welcome us back. She
has given us a simple recipe for shortbread that we put on the web
version of the newsletter.

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/newsletter/return.html

-------------------------
Culinary Tip of the Month
-------------------------

Alex Mackay of Le Baou d’Infer in Provence has written this wonderful
article regaling the virtues of fresh fall mushrooms for us to go along
with a recipe for your collection.

"Autumn is the most vibrant of the seasons. It is a time coloured by
regal reds and gold with all sorts of culinary woodland treats to be
found. The wild mushrooms make their way into our lives, hidden away in
the undergrowth, they bring two jolts of joy, first for the gatherer and
then to the lucky cook and consumer. The game begins and we savour the
last of the summer fruit."

"In our second year at Le Baou d’Infer we will be running three weeks in
September to celebrate the grape harvest. We will have the best of both
worlds with late summer lunches outside and dinners in the warmth of the
dining room. I am exited at the prospect of showing a lesser known side
of Provencal cooking to our guests. It is particularly the mysterious
earthy taste of the mushrooms that attracts me and here I’ll give you a
few tips on their use and a recipe."

"Most mushrooms benefit from as little washing as possible, they act
like sponges and absorb water which will then leak out during the
cooking. What I prefer to do is to trim off the stalks and give them a
good going over with a brush. If you have mushrooms such as girolles or
chanterelles that have very pronounced gills and must be washed, do so
as quickly as possible in plenty of cold water and drain them first on a
colander then on a dishcloth."

"When cooking any of these little woodland gems, start off with a little
smoking oil then add a some unsalted butter towards the end. Keep the
butter foaming at the aptly named 'noisette' stage as this will add a
nutty little flavour as well as teasing the colour to a golden brown. I
like to add a few shallots and a little flat leaf parsley to finish but,
if you do so, make sure the shallots have time to soften so they back up
the flavour of the mushrooms rather than taking centre stage."

"If you are lucky enough to procure firm, tight little cepes (porcini),
slice them and dress them raw as I have done in my recipe, this is
surprisingly different and very good. The dish can also be done with
button mushrooms, admittedly it would miss the magic of the woods but
it’ll still be very good."

"Enjoy autumn with all of it’s treats and surprises as it prepares you
for the harsh reality of winter."

-- Alex Mackay, Le Baou d'Infer

You can find more information on Alex McKay's school, Le Baou d'Infer,
at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/france/lebaou/index.html

-------------------
Recipe of the Month
-------------------

Cepes - The King's Food

The fragrant and beautiful cepe, also known as the porcini mushroom, is
a member of the bolete family. Its distinctive flavor has been compared
to that of hazelnuts, but more commonly has been called simply nutty or
buttery. Because of its hearty flavor and dense, meaty texture, this
mushroom is an excellent complement to red meats or game, and is good in
soups, stews, and casseroles. The cepe has been called "the King's food"
because early-on only royalty were allowed to eat such a rare find. (The
cepes in the following recipe may easily be replaced by
shitake/portobello mushrooms)

Roasted Cepes with Red Wine Vinaigrette from Le Baou d'Infer in France

Ingredients (Serves 4):
20 small tight cepes wiped and halved
2 tbs. ground nut or canola oil
40 g unsalted butter
20 leaves of flat leaf parsley picked with the stalks
150 ml of red wine reduced to 50 ml
3 shallots peeled and chopped as finely as possible
75 ml of olive oil
Salt and pepper

First, make the vinaigrette. To reduce the wine, use a heavy sauce pot
over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until it reduces by 2/3.
Allow the reduced wine to cool, then mix in the shallots and olive oil
and season with the salt and pepper to taste.

Then, get your largest frying pan extremely hot, add the ground nut oil
and then the halved cepes. Fry for 2 minutes each side until golden
brown. Add the butter and parsley and fry for a further minute, season
well and serve topped with the red wine vinaigrette.

Find more recipes at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/recipes/return.html

-----
-----

Buncky Pezzini from Villa Crocialoni reminds us that:

"Cooking is imagination in action."

You can find more information on Buncky's school, Villa Crocialoni, at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/italy/crocialoni/index.html

----------------
Featured Special
----------------

Il Falconiere is featuring two special culinary weeks over the
Christmas/New Years Holidays for your enjoyment. You will find the
itineraries for both of them on the website. Be sure to sign up early as
this is a school that fills quickly.

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/specials/return.html

Classes are limited to 14 people and are hands-on, with lessons
concentrating on the successive stages of a meal. The cooking courses
will be conducted by Michele Brogioni, chef of the Relais Il Falconiere
and by Silvia Regi, owner and professional sommelier. Together they will
share the history and traditional Tuscan techniques of cooking. The
owner, Mr Riccardo Baracchi, will personally take care of the program in
order to guarantee a pleasant stay.

You can find more information on Il Falconiere at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/italy/falconiere/index.html

----

If you've had an amazing experience at a Cuisine International school
and would like to share it with our readers, please contact us! We would
love to hear from you and would like to include you in our next
newsletter!

Until next month, Cheers and Buon Appetito!