Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
CI Newsletter - Feb. Edition  Cuisine International
 Feb 23, 2001 09:58 PST

- February 2001

Welcome to the February edition of the Cuisine International Newsletter.

We hope you enjoy this month's edition of our newsletter. As always, we
try to bring you the absolute latest information about our schools and
offerings. As we are continuously expanding, please check our website
frequently for updates.

If you have any questions, comments or requests about our newsletter or
our web site, please feel free to write us at Cuisi-@aol.com.

-----------
Latest News
-----------

LA COTE ST. JACQUES

We are pleased to announce and welcome La Cote St. Jacques into our
exciting family of culinary experiences. La Cote St. Jacques, a Relais
& Chateaux Hotel, has a Michelin Three Star Restaurant in Joigny, France
in the heart of Burgundy. Nearly 15 years ago I was fortunate to have
an unforgettable dining experience in this lovely restaurant. By
invitation from the hotel, Dick and I spent several days there this past
fall previewing their new cooking school and found it to be utterly
fantastic. Demonstration classes are taught by Jean-Michel Lorain,
owner-chef of one of the most luxurious hotels we have ever visited.
Look for all the information on the cooking school to be up on the site
by next month.

In the meantime, enjoy with me a sampling of what is in store at dinner
for all students at La Cote Saint Jacques. The intimate dining room is
divided into sections; one overlooking a flower filled indoor garden
with statuary and ivy covered trellises. Gleaming silverware, sparkling
monogrammed crystal, fresh flowers gracing the center of the white
linens and white candles gently bathing the room with softness set the
stage for the magnificent dining experience. The restaurant was full
and yet the feeling of quiet romantic intimacy was still preserved.

We put ourselves at the mercy of the Jean Michel to relish in his choice
of a menu. For starters I enjoyed a cold terrine of tiny oysters.
Dick, as a connoisseur of foie gras, was served L'Emince de Foie gras de
Canard sur un tresse de Poireaux Nouveaux, a delicate ravioli filled
with foie gras. The second course of three giant Roasted Dublin bay
prawns topped with delicate baby onions and bathed in a lemon thyme
sauce was divine. The tiniest of Escargot were served on lightly
toasted bread for another of the many courses. The highlight of the
meal for me was Le Pigeon roti, Crème de petits pois au Lard Et Cotes de
Blettes truffees, jus de Veau a l'Arabica. Translated into my own
words, the most tender pigeon breast I have ever tasted was placed on
top of a flavourful veal sauce, garnished with truffles and a puree of
baby green peas. A tiny drumstick was propped on the side, a succulent
bite I just had to pop into my mouth with my fingers after looking
around to see if anyone was watching.
Dick was most excited when the cheese tray arrived and he could have his
choice of an amazing variety of regional French cheeses, trying nearly
every one. I stuck to the chevre and a few of the milder choices. A
silver basket of fresh walnuts appeared on the table along with a
platter of walnut bread to enjoy with the cheeses. All of this was
enjoyed with a bottle of Domaine Vincast Grandin 1997 Pommard le Cru
"Les Chanlins, a Grand Vin de Bourgogne.

Chocolate is a passion so I was thrilled to be served a rich miniature
chocolate cake topped with frothy cream, surrounded by toffee pieces and
garnished with chocolate and caramel sauces. My sensible husband chose
instead fresh berries and we both enjoyed a tray of petits fours along
with coffee. The service was impeccable, friendly but unobtrusive. The
pièce de rèsistance: a chocolate covered caramel dipped in a light
coating of caramel ended a most memorable meal.

To find out more about this fabulous location and dining experience,
please return to the Cuisine International web site next month and also
log on the La Cote Saint Jacques website:

http://www.integra.fr/relaischateaux/lorain

-------------------
Recipe of the Month
-------------------

This month, we just had to give you a recipe from our latest edition, La
Cote St. Jacques. This wonderful dish with Red Mullet is a nice warm
starter and is full of complex flavors from the vinegar, fresh dill and
artichokes. Enjoy!

RED MULLET SALAD WITH ARTICHOKES AND HERBS

- 4 red mullet fillets
- 1 broccoli head
- 1/2 red bell pepper, peeled
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 artichoke hearts
- 1 Tbs shallot, minced
- 2 Tbs sherry vinegar
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 20 leaves lamb's lettuce
- 1 sprig fresh dill

Remove any small bones from the fillets with tweezers. Cook the
broccoli in boiling salted water; then refresh in cold water. Cut the
broccoli, red pepper and olives into small dice. Trim the snow peas,
then cook in boiling salted water and refresh in cold water. Cut in
long, thin strips.

Boil the tomatoes and remove the skin. Cut the flesh into small dice.
Cook the artichoke hearts and cut in thin strips.

Cook the fish fillets in a non-stick pan, skin side down. Place on a
clean towel to drain. In a saucepan, heat the shallots with the sherry
vinegar and olive oil. Remove from heat and add the tomatoes. Season
with salt and pepper.

On four flat plates, fan the strips of artichokes. Cover the plates
with the mixed broccoli, red pepper and olives. Place the fish fillets
on the plates, then the lamb's lettuce and strips of snow peas.
Decorate with a few sprigs of dill. Divide the vinaigrette over the
fillets and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Find more recipes at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/recipes/return.html

------
Travel
------

RHODE ISLAND HOUSE

In our culinary travels around the world we often find the best close to
home. Such was our stay at the Rhode Island House owned by a dear
friend, Michael Dupre who I met through the International Association of
Culinary Professionals over 15 years ago. Following his graduation from
La Varenne, Ecole de Cuisine in Paris, he became a private chef in Palm
Beach, Florida, St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands and at Hammersmith
Farm in Newport for Mrs. Hugh D. Auchincloss.

An avid collector, Michael followed his dream and opened the Rhode
Island House Bed & Breakfast Inn in 1993 where he combines all of his
many talents. This beautiful Victorian home was built as a summer
residence for Thomas R. Hunter in 1882. Michael has lovingly filled it
with antiques from around the world and restored the home to its
original magnificence.

Surrounding the large entrance hall are three sitting areas; a cozy
library with a fireplace, walls of book filled shelves and comfy
furniture is perfect for a cool winter day of reading. Enjoy afternoon
tea in the light and airy Inglenook room. Relax in the plant filled
drawing room books on Newport art and history. The breakfast room
features tables with floral cloths sitting on a worn Persian rug; each
holding a bud vases with flowers from the garden. During our visit,
these were lovely purple crocuses whose blossoms were just appearing in
the yard. The china cabinet is filled with a collection of Blue Willow
inherited from Michael's Grandmother. The cheerful fireplace is
outlined with Blue Delft tiles. On a long buffet table sat choices of
cereal, a silver bowl overflowing with fruit, pitchers of freshly
squeezed juices and a hot plate for the starter, a delicious pear bread
pudding. Baskets of fresh homemade signature scones of the day appeared
on our table. We delighted in both currants and toffee. My personal
favorite entrée was the buckwheat ginger griddlecakes served with
sausage, kiwi slices and Melba sauce. This was followed by Michael's
heavenly version of Bananas Foster. On other mornings we enjoyed Grape
nut custard, Tuscan egg strata with mushrooms and sausage and Popovers
with herbed scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes and country potatoes.

With Michael busy preparing breakfast, the most delightful Roger
Englander served us: author of "Opera, What Is All The Screaming About"
served us. A semi-retired producer for CBS musical programs on opera,
symphony and ballet, this gracious and friendly gentleman lent a special
touch to the morning.

Rhode Island House is the perfect location to explore the wonders of
Newport: the gracious mansions of the 1890's, Bowen's Wharf, a multitude
of museums and churches, and the fabulous Cliff Walk. Michael eagerly
shares with his guests about where to go, what to do see and where to
eat. He is now offering a mid-week gourmet getaway for those wanting to
share in his culinary expertise.

Visit their website for details on price and availability:

http://eatinri.com/rihouse

-------------
Wine and Food
-------------

WINE.COM

We are now in the process of setting up an affiliation with a new
company called Wine.com. If you haven't visited this site, you don't
know what you're missing. They have an excellent selection of reds,
whites, sparkling, and even rare and kosher wines. We will soon be
pairing the recipes on our website with their selections. Also, we will
be submitting reviews of wines that we have enjoyed and are available
through their site.

Check out their selection below:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/wine/index.html

----

If you've had an amazing experience at a Cuisine International school
and would like to share it with our readers, please contact us! We would
love to hear from you and would like to include you in our next
newsletter!

Until next month, Cheers and Buon Appetito!