Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
CI Newsletter - Mar. Edition  Cuisine International
 Mar 28, 2001 12:18 PST

- March 2001

Welcome to the March edition of the Cuisine International Newsletter.

As a special treat this month, we have included the first of our series
of interviews with our chefs. This is part of our ongoing effort to
make you feel at home with all of our schools. We hope to include a new
interview every few months so keep reading...

As always, we try to bring you the absolute latest information about our
schools and offerings. As we are continuously expanding, please check
our website frequently for updates. If you have any questions, comments
or requests about our newsletter or our web site, please feel free to
write us at Cuisi-@aol.com.

-----------
Latest News
-----------

BOAR'S HEAD INN

If you remember two months ago, we told you of our plans to include our
first domestic culinary destination in Virginia at the Boar's Head Inn.
Well, the plans are finalized and we are proud to offer a 3-night
package this July 12-15. Here is what the package will include:

- All meals, including Vintner dinners at both the Boar's Head Inn and
at Barboursville Vineyards
- 3 culinary classes with Executive Chef Alex Montiel
- Tours of Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and the Barboursville Vineyards
- Wine Seminar
- Arrive by 4pm Thursday, July 12 and depart Sunday, July 15 after lunch

Prices are $1400/per person double occupancy, $1700 for single
occupancy. More dates for Fall 2001 and Spring 2002 will be added
later. For more information or booking, please contact us quickly as
there are only 12 total spaces for this date.

--------------
Chef interview
--------------

CHEF ENRICO FRANZESE

Cuisine International is very proud of the teachers and chefs of the
schools we represent. Occasionally we will be featuring an interview so
you will come to know each of them in a more personal way. As our first
interview, we have chosen Enrico Franzese, chef at the Hotel Luna
Convento in Amalfi, Italy. Judy will be attending the classes there May
6-12 and May 13 - 18 and would love to have all of you join her there.

This talented chef began his career at the age of 14 as an apprentice at
the Cappuccini Hotel in Amalfi. The son of a sailor who had a passion
for cooking, Enrico shared this passion and decided to make it a career.
Along the road to the Luna Convento, Enrico has been chef at Hotel
Hassler in Rome, Hotel Majestic and the Excelsior Hotel in Naples,
Praince Savoia Ciga and Jolly Hotels in Milan, Regina Sabella Hotel in
Ischia, Imperial Hotel in Portofino and Harry's Bar and Cipriani in
Venice before returning to settle down and raise his family in his
hometown of Amalfi. This dynamic chef has enjoyed his profession for 34
years. He teaches with a twinkle in his eye, tells stories as he
teaches and says, above all, you must never economize and must cook with
love!

Q: Who do you feel was your mentor?
A: "My father who spent his spare time in the kitchen preparing
wonderful meals for us. He made the best ragu in the world, so special
that I can still taste it in my mind. I also spent time with my mother
who did the daily cooking."

Q: What chef's have had the most influence on your career?
A: "Pastry chef Vincenza Buoncuore at the Hotel Cappuccini in Amalfi
where I first apprenticed and Erba Giancarlo at Harry's Bar in Venice.
Another chef with a great deal of influence is Con Ippolito Cavalcanti,
Duke of Buonvincio who wrote about Neapolitan Cuisine recipes and
techniques in 1830 in his culinary classic TRADITIONAL NEAPOLITAN
CUISINE."

Q: When you come home from work, who does the cooking and what do you
want to eat?
A: "My wife, Madelenna cooks at home, simple Neapolitan cooking. I
like a plate of cooked mixed vegetables dressed with olive oil and
balsamic vinegar." [zucchini, egg plant, red peppers, etc.]

Q: What three items are essential in your kitchen?
A: "Sharp knives, a good saucepan and a pasta machine."

Q. What three items would always be found in your refrigerator?
A: "Plenty of fresh vegetables, fresh fish and a large chunk of
Parmesan Reggiano cheese ready to grate."

Q: How important is the presentation of food?
A: "It is not so important in this area. It is much more important
that it be fresh and delicious."

Q: What advice would you give to a new chef and to an interested
amateur?
A: "I would tell a new or training chef that he must forget most
everything else and sacrifice to learn. It takes a lot of time and
patience to be a good chef. I would also tell an amateur to have a lot
of patience in the kitchen. But the most important thing of all is to
cook with love."

Q: Do you enjoy music in the kitchen or when dining, and if so, what
type of music?
A: My favorite is the old Neapolitan music or anything sung by Placido
Domingo. When we cater a wedding in the hotel and if the party has
hired musicians, they always come in the kitchen to serenade us so the
food will be extra delicious."

Q: What was the most appreciated meal you have ever prepared and who
was it for?
A: "Several years ago I was asked to prepare a fish course for an
important dinner in Sorrento to which all the important chefs from the
Campagnia region were invited. To be praised by a group of your peers
is the most important and satisfying of all."

Q: How important is the health issue in what you teach?
A: "The Mediterranean style of cooking is healthy as we use only fresh
ingredients and olive oil with very little animal fat. We eat few
desserts and get a lot of exercise in our daily lives by walking. So we
live a healthy lifestyle."

Q: How important is wine in cooking, drinking, pairing and expense?
A: "Wine is like a husband & wife at the table - it has to be good.
Wine must be well made, no matter what the price and I prefer it to be a
local table wine made in this area."

Q: What is your very favorite meal?
A: "Canneloni, Amalfi style, that I have made myself." [Enrico fills
his canneloni with finely ground veal and serves with a simple tomato
sauce]

-------------------
Recipe of the Month
-------------------

Once again, we have another recipe from our latest edition, La Cote St.
Jacques. This incredibly rich starter can serve equally as well for a
main course. It is filling and full of complex flavors from the foie
gras and olives. You should definitely give this one a try!

FOIE GRAS DE CANARD POELE ET POMMES DE TERRE ECRASSES A L'HUILE D'OLIVE

(Pan-Fried Duck Foie Gras With Crushed Potatoes And Olive Oil)

- 10-12 ounces fresh uncooked duck foie gras
- 8 ounces grams potatoes
- 1 cup duck stock
- ˝ cup olive oil
- 4 black olives
- small bunch flat parsley, coarsely chopped. Reserve 4 nice sprigs.
- salt & pepper to taste

Clean and trim the lobe of foie gras of membranes. Cut into 4 even
escalopes and keep in the refrigerator. Wash the potatoes and cook them
in their skins in boiling salted water until tender. Pit the olives, cut
into lozenge shapes, blanch in boiling water, refresh in cold water and
drain.

In a saucepan, reduce the duck stock by half, then whisk in half the
olive oil. Crush the potatoes with a fork and mix in the rest of the
olive oil and some of the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the
olive pieces into the sauce and adjust the seasoning.

Salt & pepper the escalopes of foie gras. Heat a frying pan very hot
then fry the escalopes in a little oil. Cook until deep golden-brown on
one side, then turn and repeat on the other side. Drain on absorbent
paper.

Spoon a small mound of potatoes on each plate. Place an escalope of
foie gras on top, then coat lightly with the sauce. Garnish with a
sprig of parsley and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Find more recipes at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/recipes/return.html

-------------
Wine and Food
-------------

WINE.COM

No news yet on our soon to be included wine listings, but you can see
what Wine.com has to offer at the link below:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/wine/index.html

----

If you've had an amazing experience at a Cuisine International school
and would like to share it with our readers, please contact us! We would
love to hear from you and would like to include you in our next
newsletter!

Until next month, Cheers and Buon Appetito!