Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
CI Newsletter - July Edition  Cuisine International
 Jul 17, 2001 07:22 PDT

- July 2001

Welcome to the July edition of the Cuisine International Newsletter.

This month, we have included another in our series of interviews with
our chefs and some new recipes to try out at home. Also, check out the
review of Arcodoro & Pomodoro, a great restaurant in Dallas, Texas.

As always, we try to bring you the absolute latest information about our
schools and offerings. As we are continuously expanding, please check
our website frequently for updates. If you have any questions, comments
or requests about our newsletter or our web site, please feel free to
write us at Cuisi-@aol.com.

-----------
Latest News
-----------

GIULIANO BUGIALLI

Cuisine International is proud and thrilled to be adding to its client
roster, an old friend and well-known cooking teacher and author,
Giuliano Bugialli. As you receive this newsletter, Dick and I will
already have been in Florence with Giuliano to experience with him his
hometown of Florence. In the realm of Italian cooking, there is no one
better known and better qualified to hold culinary holidays.

Giuliano Bugialli is the most popular Italian cooking teacher and
demonstrator in the United States. The combination of his deep
knowledge, remarkable technique and theatrical charisma consistently
attract record-breaking audiences to his classes and appearances.   In
1972, Bugialli started Cooking in Florence, a total immersion course in
Italian gastronomy and wine, with full participation classes taught by
himself, visits to country and city restaurants (with special menus
prepared with his collaboration), vineyards and other cultural
destinations.   This was the first cooking school in Italy designed for
an international clientele and was met with immense and long-lasting
success.

Giuliano will be teaching three weeklong classes this coming fall:

FLORENCE IN THE FALL I, September 17 to September 24
FLORENCE IN THE FALL II, October 11 to October 18
UMBRIA, ASSISI RESTORED AND BLACK TRUFFLES, October 16 to October 21

These classes will fill rapidly, so book early to take part in this
wonderful experience. The full material and itinerary will be up on the
web site soon.

-------------
Did You Know?
-------------

The Arabs are supposed to have introduced the cultivation of rice in
Italy more than a thousand years ago. The rice now grows in many parts
of the country but the concentration is greatest in a band of territory
extending across the northern stretches of the Po Valley.

--------------
Chef Interview
--------------

INTERVIEW WITH ANDREA MORADEI

This month our chef interview is with Andrea Moradei, owner of Pane,
Vino e Lingua, a cooking and language school and Enoteca de' Giraldi in
Florence, Italy.

Q. How old were you when you began cooking? How old professionally?
A. I was 19 when I left my mother and my father to live alone and I
found a lot of troubles, but also a lot of satisfactions. I opened
Enoteca de' Giraldi 4 years ago.

Q. What is your favorite holiday? What favorite foods do you prepare
for it?
A. Easter Day is my favorite, and I need for lunch an old and fat
chicken soup with boiled eggs inside. I can again feel always as a
teenager during the Easter lunch at my grandfather house.

Q Where do you like to eat on a night out?
A. In Cercina, on the hills around Florence, you can find a little
restaurant with a very simple cuisine, with a big terrace with a lot of
flowers, under the stars and with a fine view on Florence.

Q. What is your favorite dish your mother or father cooked for you?
A. Lasagna with the hand made pasta and veal sauce made by my mother.

Q. Who does the daily cooking in your home?
A. The few times I don't work or I am not in another restaurant, I
invite some friends and I cook fish for them and my wife.

Q. What is your "comfort" food?
A. A simple salad with a boiled egg, pine nuts, rucola and good olive
oil.

Q. What is the name and location of your favorite market?
A. The S.Ambrogio Market, an old fruit and vegetable market in the old
center of the Florence.

Q. What 3 items are essential in your kitchen?
A. Olive oil, garlic and tomatoes.

Q. What advice would you give to a beginning cooking class student?
A. Put attention to the simplicity, you must always be able to
distingue the different flavours.

Q. What would your last meal be?
A. Spaghetti alle vongole, "inzimino" a Florentine specialty with
little seppie and spinach.

Q. What type of dish or food do you most enjoy preparing?
A. Fish and "antipasti".

Q. What advice would you give to a budding chef - either professional
or amateur?
A. Don't combine too many ingredients. Keep the characteristic of each
one of them.

Q. Do you enjoy music when cooking or dining? If so, what kind.
A. Yes, old rock or classic music.

Q. Do you have a garden? If so, what do you grow?
A. Yes, I have tomatoes, aubergine, peppers, spinach, garlic and basil.

Q. How important is wine in cooking, drinking, pairing, and the
expense?
A. It is one of the most important elements.

Q. How important are appetizers to a meal?
A. They must be full of flavours and not too heavy, they have to open a
road, not to close.

Q. What do you see for food in the future?
A. A fantastic development, because, the cultures and the different
peoples are always more mixed and they have all a different approach to
the food.

Q. What type of equipment is necessary in the kitchen?
A. Nothing of special, you can cook also in a wood. Only a fire is
essential.

Q. How important is the health issue in what you teach? Americans are
very interested in this.
A.   I say that you can judge a good cuisine the day after, or during
the night. If you sleep well and you don't need to drink or to have a
digest-walk, that is a good cuisine.

For more information on Pane, Vino e Lingua:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/italy/pane/index.html

-------------------
Recipe of the Month
-------------------

Penne Alla Bettola - penne with spicy tomato cream sauce

RECIPE FROM "Bugialli on Pasta" published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang.

- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds ripe, fresh tomatoes cut in 1-inch pieces. [Or 1½ pounds
canned tomatoes, drained].
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 pound dried penne
- 15 large sprigs Italian parsley, leaves only
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1-cup heavy cream

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and when oil is
warm, add chopped garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add fresh or canned
tomatoes to the pan and cook for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt,
paper and red pepper flakes. Pass the contents through a food mill,
using the disc with the smallest holes, into a large skillet and place
over low heat to simmer the sauce as you cook the pasta.

Bring a large pot of cold water to a boil. Add coarse salt to the
boiling water, then add the pasta and cook for 8 - 11 minutes, depending
on the brand; that is 1 minute less than for normal al dente. Meanwhile,
coarsely chop parsley on a board.

Drain pasta and add it to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Add the
vodka, mix very well and raise heat to medium. Sauté for 1 minute,
stirring pasta vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add the cream. Taste
for salt and pepper.   Mix for r30 seconds to allow cream to become well
absorbed into the pasta.   Then sprinkle with parsley. Transfer to a
warmed serving dish and serve immediately.

Serves 4 - 6 people.

------------
Bonus Recipe
------------

Dick spent the evening of April 9 with John Mariani, well known expert
on wine, columnist for Esquire, Wine Spectator and Diversion magazines
and author of The Dictionary of Italian Food and Drink.   He and his
wife, Galina, have just published a new book, A Celebration of
Italian-American Food and were promoting the book at Arcodoro & Pomodoro
Ristoranti Italiani in Dallas.

The Italian American Cookbook is a "Feast of Food from a Great American
Cooking Tradition" published by the Harvard Common Press. Here John and
Galina explore a cuisine that began in the kitchens of immigrants from
Italy where women sought to feed their families traditional foods with
the ingredients they found in the United States. For over a hundred
years, this constantly evolving cuisine has brought us the treasures
from the poorest neighborhoods to the aristocratic vineyards of Tuscany.
The introduction is reason enough to purchase the book. Not only will
you find the history of many special dishes; there are sections on
Italian ingredients, a sampling of Italian wines, sources for Italian
Foods, historical pictures and sayings.   Recipes from notables such as
Lidia Bastianich, Mario Batali, Tony May, Robert Mondavi, Wolfgang Puck
and many others are included.

We can hardly wait to sample all the lucious sounding recipes. First on
our list is Mom Mariani's Beef Soup. Cuisine International feels this
book should be on the shelves of every Italian food lover. Check our
web-site for instructions on ordering or find it on the shelves of your
favorite bookstore.

Mom Mariani's Beef Soup

5 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds beef short ribs
Salt, pre4perably kosher
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2-3 leeks, white and light green parts only, washed and cut into ¼
inch-thick slices
14 cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
3 ounces ditalini, cooked al dente
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over high
heat.   Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and brown the ribs
on all sides in the sauté pan, about 10 minutes total.

While the ribs are browning, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil
and the butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the leeks and
celery, season with salt and pepper to taste, stir well, and cook,
covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Add the garlic and
cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes.

When the ribs have browned, add them to the stockpot along with the
oregano, 5 cups water, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to
a boil and skim off any foam. Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to low,
and let simmer, covered, until the meat is very tender, 1¾ to 2 hours.

Remove the ribs, cut the meat from the bones, discarding any fat or
gristle, and cut the meat into 1/2 inch pieces. Return the meat to the
stockpot. Add the cooked pasta, bring to a boil, sprinkle with the
cheese and serve.

This soup can be made the day before without the pasta and cheese. The
flavor will improve overnight. This will serve 6 people.

Find more recipes at:

http://www.cuisineinternational.com/recipes/return.html

-------------
Wine and Food
-------------

RESTAURANT REVIEW: ARCODORO & POMODORO

Arcodoro & Pomodoro has for many years been one of our favorite
restaurants in Dallas. Dick was delighted to have attended a dinner
honoring John Mariani with an authentic Sardinian menu and Sardinian
wines of Argiolas selected by Leonardo Locasio and Winebow.

The original restaurant was opened in 1988. Pomodoro featured authentic
Tuscan and Sardinian cuisine's. Arcodoro, which means arches of gold,
was created to compliment and provide a place where people could come
"to meet" for a drink, a quick bite or just an espresso. Both
restaurants have been awarded four stars by the Dallas Morning News and
have won numerous polls for best pizza and best pasta in Dallas. They
are also known for their signature drink "the Grapparita" which is
inspired by Efisio's extensive grappa collections. Recently moved in
December of 2000 to a the former location of Baby Routh, owners Lori &
Efisio Farris, redesigned and personally oversaw the construction of the
Sardinian Villa styled restaurant.

Prepared by chef's Efisio & Francesco Farris and pastry chef Luca Rau,
the gala evening menu consisted of:

Ceviche Arcodoro
- Fresh seafood salad with cuttlefish, baby octopus and rock shrimp in a
vinaigrette of citrus juices and extra virgin olive oil

Carpaccio di Pesce Spada
- Paperthin slices of swordfish with capers, red onion, arugola and
balsamic vinegar-cured cherry tomatoes

Mozzarella con Prosciutto, Rogola e Abbemele
- Buffalo mozzarella wrapped with prosciutto and arugola finished with
abbemele and pistachios
- Wine: 1999 Vermentino di Sardegna A. Argiolas

Fregola ai Funghetti e Zafferano
- Sardinian cous cous with enoki mushrooms in a light saffron broth
- Wine: 1999 Selegas Nuragus, A. Argiolas

Gulurgiones de Casu Canne al Vento
- Half-moon pasta stuffed with pecorino and ricotta served with a
delicate tomato and veal sauce
- Wine: 1998 Cannonau di Sardegna 'Costera', A Argiolas

Trippa di Vitella con Carciofini Nostri
- Veal tripe with marinated artichoke hearts, topped with pecorino
- Wine: 1998 Korem, A. Argiolas

Semifreddo al Miele Amaro in Salsa di Fichidindia e Saba
- Frozen homemade custard with bittersweet honey and prickly pear sauce
drizzled with saba.
- Wine: 1997 Angialis, A. Argiolas

Cuisine International highly recommends Arcodoro & Pomodoro to all who
live in or are visiting the Dallas or North Texas area.

http://dfw.citysearch.com/E/V/DALTX/0214/22/59/cs1.html

----

If you've had an amazing experience at a Cuisine International school
and would like to share it with our readers, please contact us! We would
love to hear from you and would like to include you in our next
newsletter!

Until next month, Cheers and Buon Appetito!