Welcome Guest!
 CuisineIntl News
Cuisine International NewsletterCuisine International December 2005 News  Cuisine International
 Nov 22, 2005 13:28 PST

Cuisine International December 2005 Newsletter

What a wonderful year we have had here at Cuisine International. It is
amazing to think we are entering our 20th years of offering the ultimate
Culinary Holidays. What a ride it has been. And I look for it to get
even better as we expand our offerings around the world. I will be
spending Christmas in Spain this year and will be researching fabulous
locations while there. I can’t wait to let you know what we will find.

***************
News
***************
Diane Kochilas will again be offering her culinary holidays on the
island of Ikaria that has been so popular. Now she will be taking a
group on a beautiful 61 foot sailboat along with her husband the week of
June 17. This is an exclusive trip for only 6 lucky people and I expect
it to sell out within a very short period of time. Take a look at the
itinerary on our website: www.cuisineinternational.com and see the boat
at www.dimitrisyacht.com. It will certainly be a trip of a lifetime.

The dates for the Formula One car race in Imola have been announced as
April 21-27. Be the guests of Marcello and Raffaella Tori when they
take their group to the races along with a week of cooking and touring
in the Bologna Countryside. Several of our clients have taken advantage
of this special time and have raved about the experience. You can see
details on www.cuisineinternational.com. This charming couple have many
offerings for culinary holidays in Italy. You will be interested in
seeing the itineraries for all of them on the site as well.

Valter and Julia Roman have now been at Villa Boschiglia outside of
Lucca for over a year and what a success it has been. Now they are
going to be offering exciting new culinary opportunities for 2006.
Coming in the fall “At Home with the Chef” will be on the calendar.
This will be your opportunity to study in the chef’s home with small,
unique and individually designed classes. Their home is a lovingly
restored olive press dating back to the 16th century complete with a
specially designed open-plan Tuscan kitchen. There will be two
guestrooms available for weekend and short courses as well as bed and
breakfast throughout the year. The gardens extend out towards the
gentle olive-terraced hillsides and are surrounded by an ancient
fountain and arched stone wall. Sounds like the ideal place for the
perfect holiday. Details will be on www.cuisineinternational very soon.

***************
Our Travels
***************
The time I was able to spend in Skane, Sweden was one of the highlights
of my life. I was somewhat aware of my Swedish heritage even though the
British side of the family was always stressed. It wasn’t until I
arrived in Sweden did I feel more at home that I have ever felt in my
life. It was amazing. We will be working on culinary tours in the
future so everyone will be able to enjoy the fabulous food, friendliness
and scenery that I was able to enjoy. And if you enjoy being pampered
at spas with all the luxurious treatments, oils, herbs and essential
oils, you will be traveling to the country of origin. I took complete
advantage of this while there.

*******************
Restaurant Reviews
*******************
Rates among our top
restaurants in the world
We absolutely love and
would go back every time we could, well worth a journey
We would return if there
was time in our schedule, worth a detour
Okay, but we would not
make an effort to return
We would never return.

******************
Recipe of the Month
******************
Sweden is a country of beautiful produce, especially in Skane with its
mild climate. There is an abundance of sea food, delightful cheeses and
fruit orchards. I was the lucky recipient of a brand new cookbook hot
off the press: A taste of Skane, The sea, the fields, the forest and
the food. It was compiled by Maria Grynge and is composed of recipes
and text from the chefs and restaurateurs of Culinary Skane. I have
chosen a few of the recipes from this book for you to enjoy during the
holiday season and throughout the rest of the year.

Onion Herring
Serves 6

6 herring fillets, soaked and drained

Pickling Liquid
½ cup distilled vinegar
1 ½ cups water
1/8 cup sugar

Flavoring
1 onion
2 tsp. whole allspice

Day 1
Soak the fillets for 24 hours in plenty of cold water. Change the water
once.

Day 2
Bring the pickling liquid to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave
to cool. Cut up the fillets diagonally. Mix half the liquid with the
pieces and store cold for 24 hours.

Day 3.
Strain off the liquid. Peel and slice the onion and mix with the
herring, allspice and the other half of the liquid. Leave to stand for
4-6 days.

And now I know where my love of herring came from! It is especially
found on the tables at Christmastime.

Sesame Glazed Wild Duck Dinner
Serves 6

3 wild ducks
Cooking oil for frying
Salt & pepper

Glaze
2 tbs. sesame seeds
3 tbs. honey
1 tbs. soy
Juice and zest of 1 orange

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and dry the duck. Season with salt
and pepper and brown the breast sides in oil in frying pan for 5
minutes. Turn them over and finish off in the oven for about 14
minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes and then cut away the breasts and
thighs. Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees. Mix all the glaze
ingredients in a small saucepan and boil for 15 minutes over a very low
flame. Brush the breasts and thighs with the glaze and put in the oven
for 2 to minutes until they are a nice color. They are best served rare
or medium rare for full flavor.

Serve immediately with the Cabbage and Mashed Potato and Apples.

Soured Savoy cabbage
1 Savoy cabbage
1 tbs. butter
2 tsp. sugar
Juice of 1 lemon

Divide and wash the cabbage. Cut into strips and sauté in butter over a
low flame until tender. Add sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper to
taste.

Mashed potato and apple
6 potatoes
3 onions
3 apples
1 cup milk
4 ounces butter
Grated nutmeg to taste

Peel the potatoes and boil in salt water until tender. Rice or mash and
whisk in the milk, butter and onion-apple mixture to make a fluffy
mousse. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.

All of us at Cuisine International wish for you a wonderful and blessed
Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Season and our best wishes for the
New Year. We will visit with you again in 2006, our 20th year of
business.

Judy, Dick, Amy and Craig