Welcome Guest!
 DESSERT DU JOUR
DDJ-- Old Maid Cake, 04-11-12  DDJ
 Apr 11, 2012 18:31 PDT

_______________________________________

Dessert du Jour      04-11-12
US Library of Congress ISSN: 1533-0966

Encourage your friends and family to subscribe!
_______________________________________

Old Maid Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons stick margarine, melted
2 tablespoons stick margarine
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 medium pears(about 1 pound)
Cinnamon sticks (optional)
Pear slices (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F.

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Combine buttermilk,
egg substitute, molasses, and 2 tablespoons melted margarine in a bowl;
stir well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

Melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Stir in 1/3
cup brown sugar; cook over medium heat 1 minute. Remove from heat;
sprinkle with walnuts.

Peel and core pears. Cut each in half lengthwise. Cut each half into
thin slices, cutting to, but not through, stem end. Fan pear halves;
place, core sides up, on top of brown sugar mixture in skillet. Pour
batter over pears; bake at 375F for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick
inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire
rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert
onto a cake plate. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and pear slices, if
desired. Makes 8 servings.

Nutritional Information
Amount per serving
    Calories: 250
    Calories from fat: 28%
    Fat: 8g
    Saturated fat: 1.4g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
    Protein: 3.9g
    Carbohydrate: 42.5g
    Fiber: 1.8g
    Cholesterol: 0.0mg
    Iron: 2mg
    Sodium: 248mg
    Calcium: 105mg
_______________________________________
_______________________________________

Dessert du Jour is made possible only by donations from subscribers like
you. If you enjoy receiving DDJ, please support us by sending a check
payable to "Richard Rowand" for any amount to: Richard Rowand, PO Box
3385, Leesburg, VA 20177. Or use PAYPAL ( http://www.paypal.com ) and
donate (via your account or their secure credit card site) directly thru
Rich's email address ( ri-@recipedujour.com ). Thank you.
_______________________________________

If you mysteriously stop receiving Dessert du Jour, remember to visit
our website http://www.recipedujour.com because your ISP provider may be
blocking our ezines thinking they are (heaven forbid!) junk mail.
And check our archives at www.topica.com/lists/dessert/read to see the
latest issue.
_______________________________________

Good Neighbor Desserts appears every Friday. To submit your recipe to
Dessert du Jour’s Good Neighbor Desserts, simply send it via email to
ri-@recipedujour.com   Use “GND” and the title of your recipe as the
everything we receive. By submitting to Good Neighbor Desserts, you give
be able to use your recipe!

Dessert du Jour is a proud member of the Recipe du Jour family.
To subscribe to Recipe du Jour, daily recipes, columns, and nostalgia,

Nutritional analysis is intended as a guide only.

To unsubscribe from Dessert du Jour, address a blank email to
dessert-un-@topica.com

The simplest way to change your subscription address is to unsub from
your old address and resubscribe from your new address.

.