Welcome Guest!
 Doyletics
Introduction to Alan in Australia  Bobby Matherne
 Mar 27, 2001 18:13 PST
Dear List Members,

We have a new member of the list. His name is Alan and he lives in
Australia. He has given me permission to post some information about him
and the work he is doing with doyletics. Let me allow him to introduce
himself to you in his own words. These are from several posts from him
and me combined into one post:

1] Hi Bobby,

I love the concept of 'doyles'. I have attempted using it with myself on a
food dislike, I dislike creamed rice, however, I get to age 8 and then when
I ask myself about age 5 or below I come up with a 'I don't know' answer,
what am I doing wrong?

Help!

Alan

2] My answer to Alan:
Since you've already begun the trace process, let me help you over this
stumbling block.

A doyle is a physical body state, not a thought. Think of yourself as
having normal memory and doylic memory. Normal memory is when you ask
yourself where you lived when you were 7 or 10 and you get an answer. With
doylic memory, it doesn't happen that way. What happens is that something
in your environment triggers a doylic memory and your bodily states change
in some way. You feel different. Muscles tighten. Heart rate may change.
Respiration speeds up or slows down. That's a sign of a doylic memory in
action.

Something happens in your body as the result of something you think about,
you smell, taste, hear, or touch. If you smell creamed rice and your nose
wrinkles up or your face grimaces in some way, that's a doyle, a physical
body state stored before you were five and re-triggered by the smell of
creamed rice in the present.

Best thing is make or have someone make creamed rice just the way you had
it when you were a child. Arrange to be alone while you do this, especially
for the first time. If your mom makes this for you, tell her you want to
take some home with you to try it again as an adult -- something like that.
Not knowing your age, I have to guess at things like how old you are and
whether you may have a mom, etc.

Take it home, Get a mirror, heat up creamed rice in microwave or on stove
so it has a smell (I assume you ate it hot.) Holding the mirror in front of
your face, smell the aroma up close. Watch what your face does in response
to the smell. That's the doyle. Now take the rice away and relax your face.
Close your eyes and take a deep smell again paying attention inside
yourself what muscles tense up. Now you've felt the doyles.

Do a speed trace exactly as described on the page:

http://www.doyletics.com/training.htm

Note that you are to keep going -- no answers are required because you're
only making statements. When you get below four and switch to asking a
question -- the answer you're waiting for is in the release of tension of
the muscles in your body (not an auditory answer, if you get an auditory
internal response, that's okay, but never wait for one, use the mirror if
you're not sure whether your facial muscles have changed) Using someone to
assist you is a viable option, but they would have to learn to do it alone
first to really understand the process of tracing and doyles, so you may as
well learn it yourself first.

Make a note of the two time marks between which your doyles go away. Ask
yourself what's a plausible thing that could have happened to you at that
age. Then ask your mother or father or older siblings what they remember
about you and creamed rice at that age. Sometimes they'll know immediately
or your question will trigger a normal memory in them as they were older
than five when it happened [if they were around when it happened, etc.]

Then eat some of that creamed rice. One spoonful first, using the mirror
for calibration purposes. Swallow it. Does it go down easy? If not, you may
want to initiate another trace of the swallowing discomfort. After all
this, when you are able to eat creamed rice without gagging or grimacing or
whatever, you'll know that you have successfully completed your speed
trace. You may never want to eat creamed rice after that -- but you could
eat it comfortably if you wished to. Removing a food dislike doesn't make
you like a food -- only repetitive eatings without the doyles will lead to
liking it. I hated liver before my traces and now I love pate' but probably
won't ever order liver and onions.

good luck and happy tracings,

most cordially,

Bobby

3] Alan's next post:

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for replying so fast, a trait which I encounter rarely these days.
I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. The Gold Coast is just
south of Brisbane. I have a few miles [kilometers] on the clock, I am 52.
I am married, I have two adult children, a girl and a boy. My mother is
passed away.

I have had a recent career change, moving from construction to therapy.
The change is not so dramatic as first may seem, I was involved as a
professional Athletic coach for many years, the construction work provided
me with convenient income when necessary. The transition to therapist came
as a result of my curiosity about how 'people' could perform particularly
well on the training track and so poorly on a competition day. This
evolved into how people could become depressed, obsessed, or whatever and
remain that way despite the best efforts of health professionals.

I went back to university and completed a degree in the Social Sciences,
psychology bored me stiff. I worked as a volunteer counselor at Life Line,
and a drug and alcohol centre for a while. My passion has become eating
disorders. Many of my clients are financially embarrassed and so I offer
my services on a sliding scale, sliding down to nothing. I believe that
emotional health should not be denied to another human being just because
they are financially limited, it could happen to any of us.

Eating disorders have a tragic reputation, that is: 'recovery is difficult,
painful, and takes years'. I am seeing one lady [suffering anorexia] at
the moment who has been in and out of therapy for 18 years. I find that
these clients usually have a 'feeling' that tells them when it is time to
binge or restrict themselves. These messages are out of their conscious
awareness, so the trigger goes unidentified and so the behaviour becomes
habituated and continues unabated. Cognitive behavioural therapies do not
address the trigger at an emotional level, that is the 'feeling' signal.
New strategies are put in place over the trigger and so the behaviour
continues. Some of my clients are quite young, as young as 12 or 13
going up to................

The concept of the doyles is favourable to me, as I stated in an earlier
email. I would like to become proficient at using the technique so as to
be able to pass on the knowledge to others. First I need to be able to use
it
on myself.

"give a man a fish and you satisfy his hunger, teach a man to fish and he
is able to satisfy his own hunger a lot more often".

Thanks,
Alan.

[[ from Bobby: to be continued . . .]

--