Welcome Guest!
 e-drum
INFO: funds for writers - may 13, 2007  KAL-@aol.com
 May 14, 2007 09:31 PDT

 INFO: funds for writers - may 13, 2007
=====================================

Volume 7, Issue 19        -       May 13, 2007

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

                   FUNDS FOR WRITERS
     FundsforWriters - Ranked one of
    Writer's Digest's 101 Best Websites for Writers
       2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
          THE ULTIMATE SOURCE OF FUNDS FOR WRITERS

Editor:  C. Hope Clark
Mailto:    Hope-@aol.com -or-
  -@fundsforwriters.com
Website: http://www.fundsforwriters.com
Newsletter: ISSN: 1533-1326
Our subscriber list is NOT made available to others.
Use information listed at your own risk. FundsforWriters
gives no warranty to completeness, accuracy, or fitness
of the markets, contests and grants although research is
done to the best of our ability.

              IN THIS ISSUE
  1. Editor's Thoughts
  2. Article of the Week
  3. Competitions
  4. Grants
  5. Freelance Markets
  6. Jobs
  7. Publishers/Agents
  9. The Business Stuff

1.  EDITOR'S THOUGHTS
IMPORTANT NOTE:
You can read FundsforWriters online at:
http://www.fundsforwriters.com/FFW.htm
=====
SPONSOR OF THE WEEK...
ATTENTION POETS!
Looking for poetry markets or poetry contests?  Then subscribe
to the free monthly newsletter, The Poetry Market Ezine.  Each
issue includes 4 featured poetry markets, several poetry contests
and poetry news such as readings, publishings, etc.  All email
addresses are kept confidential.  Also includes a review of
a current book of poetry in each issue.  For more information,
email  tp-@thepoetrymarket.com
or visit http://www.thepoetrymarket.com

=====
HOPE'S DOPE...
This week I'm inundated with family. The thing is...I'm
fairly reclusive and like my privacy. While I love family
to visit, it throws me out of sync. It's harder to write,
harder to keep a routine, harder to remember what needs
doing.
Been rushing around trying to make the yard look nice,
stock the refrigerator, sift through recipe books for the
best dinners and iron the sheets. On the day the first
round of company arrived, I raked fifteen wheelbarrow
loads of dirt to make a flower bed, planted a half dozen
bushes, vacuumed, mopped, washed five loads of clothes,
cleaned bathrooms and cooked dinner from scratch. When
I finally sat down, I realized I'd missed an online chat
I wanted to attend. I marveled at how I used to work 8 to 5
and raise three boys, two dogs, two cats and a hedgehog.
So if this issue is addled, it's because I'm stealing
time away from guests to work in the middle of the night.
But there are lots of pros with having people come visit,
and if you can handle the craziness for a few days, it's
well worth it.
1. You spend concentrated time with people you love.
When they lived around you all the time, both you and
they didn't take as much time to chat and share life
as you do now seated on the porch sipping a drink,
sharing catch-up stories.
2. You clean the place until it shines. The best way
to spit-shine your home is to have an event and invite
guests. Suddenly the cobwebs and dust bunnies you usually
ignore become more important to dispose of. You won't
have to clean for a while...giving you more time to
write once the visitors are gone.
3. You get to count your blessings. These people come
to see you...to spend time with you. You see your work,
your home, your landscaping, your whatever through their
fresh eyes. Suddenly you realize you have it pretty darn
good.
4. You miss your writing. You note the weird way your
cousin eats his breakfast; you listen to folk tales from
your grandmother's day; you learn about the shenanigans
your children did behind your back years ago; you hear
your favorite nephew curse for the first time.  In other
words, your writing talents are still taking notes.
And oh what fodder you have raining all around you with
all that dialog, quirky behavior and stories you can
insert into future writing. Take the time to jot ideas
down before you drop dead into bed each night.
What's neat for me, is the fact I heard from one agent
who wants to read more chapters of my novel manuscript.
That's a one-week response. And I got to share that
fabulous news with extended family seated in the car as
I opened the mail and read it aloud. They weren't exactly
sure what was exciting about an agent wanting to read
my chapters, but hey...they acted excited for me.
Life can be so full...if you allow it to be.

    Hope

Advertise with FundsforWriters !!! Reach 11,800 members!
Advertise with FFW Small Markets! Reach 3,800 members!
ADS FOR $9 AND UP!
$ 9 - one week in FFW Small Markets
$30 - four weeks in FFW Small Markets
$20 - one week in FundsforWriters
$60 - four weeks in FundsforWriters
$25 - one week in both FundsforWriters & FFW Small Markets
$75 - four weeks in FundsforWriters & FFW Small Markets
http://www.fundsforwriters.com/adrates.htm
=====
EBOOK COMBOS
The best deal on the FundsforWriters web site.
www.fundsforwriters.com/ebooks.htm
=====
TOTAL FundsforWriters
90+ grants, contests, jobs, markets and publishers.
A fantastic bargain for $12.
www.fundsforwriters.com/total.htm

  ~~~~~~****~~~~~~
                WORDS OF SUCCESS
Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

2.  ARTICLE -
The Expatriate Writer
"Never have I seen my homeland and the true life of my homeland
so fully, so clearly, and at such close range, as I did in my
absence when I was far away from it."
--Henrik Ibsen
Ibsen was a self-imposed exile from his native Norway for nearly
thirty years, and wrote all of his most important plays from
abroad. The list of famous expatriate writers goes on and on:
Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, Samuel Beckett, Tennessee
Williams, William S. Burroughs, and even that peripatetic and
quintessentially American author, Mark Twain.
Why did they leave to go abroad? Why would you even consider it?
First, poverty. Simply staying afloat these days in America can
keep you busy 24/7; where and when there's time for creative
inspiration is anyone's guess.
Me, I live and live well in South America on around $500/month.
I eat well, I have a nice, if not luxurious, apartment, and a
decent high-speed Internet connection. And most importantly? I
can focus my entire energy on my work.
Second, for a clearer view of the world. I myself have been an
expatriate for nearly eight years, and I must concur with Ibsen:
I never truly understood America until I left America.
Third, there's something to write about. Your daily routine of
office day job, dry cleaners, and fish fingers dinner ain't all
that exciting, people. Me? I live in Colombia. I love it. You
never know when a bomb might go off and tear off a limb or two.
Of course, Colombia is probably not for most people. But there
are many countries in the world where you can live quite cheaply
to give yourself the time to write. All of Latin America comes
to mind. South Africa, especially Cape Town, is  hip right now.
Southeast Asia is a popular spot, and for the rock bottom
budget novelist with a trilogy on his to-do list, India heads
the pack as one of the cheapest places in the world to
be an expat.
There are practicalities to consider when moving abroad. Unless
you're planning to travel and write at the same time (which I
personally find difficult to do) you're going to want to settle
down somewhere, a place your laptop can call home.
Are you prepared to learn a foreign language, or will you only
live in an English-speaking country? Do you want to live among
ex-pats? Or do you prefer the challenge of living with the locals?
If recent rises in the cost of health insurance are scaring
you off freelancing, be aware that cash-up-front medical care
in most parts of the world is a tiny fraction of what it costs
in the U.S. I recently saw a doctor here in Cali who charged me
45,000 pesos ($20) for a 45-minute, unhurried consultation.
Need drugs? Laughably cheap. Surgery? Equal or better to
American health care, and for a fraction of the cost.
Moving abroad can also save you a great deal of money in taxes.
If you spend less than 30 days per year in the United States,
you receive a tax exemption on income up to $82,400. The only
downside is that, as a self-employed writer running a freelance
business, you are still required to pay the 15% self-employment
tax. The only way to avoid the 15% tax is if you establish tax
residency in a country that has a social security
("totalization") treaty with the U.S.
Here are some resources to get your started:
Escape From America Magazine
www.escapefromamerica.com
Bootsnall Travel Stories
www.bootsnall.com
Lonely Planet
www.lonelyplanet.com
IRS topics for overseas residents
www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international
Social Security (Self-Employment) Tax Treaty Information
www.ssa.gov/international
MediBroker offers expatriate health insurance
www.medibroker.com
Going abroad can save you heaps of money and give you time
to write. It will also most certainly make you a more
interesting person and give you something exciting to write
about.
BIO
Jens Porup (www.jensporup.com) is a freelance writer, playwright,
essayist, and short story writer. He recently co-authored Lonely
Planet's guidebook to Venezuela, and is currently at work on his
first novel. He lives in Cali, Colombia.

3.  COMPETITIONS
WHISPER FROM THE HEART POETRY CLUB
http://www.whisperpoetry.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&
Itemid=32
---
£5 ENTRY FEE FOR ADULTS
Whisper from the Heart Poetry Club membership is free and
competitions are open to adults and scholars who wish to
participate. No membership fee is required but a charge of
£5 per entry is payable for the open competition and £1 for
scholars. Poems of up to 32 lines in English and Afrikaans
(for South Africa entries) can be entered. Scholars are
requested to enter through their respective schools. Deadline
September 30, 2007. Poetry and short stories.
Adults
1st Prize £3000.
2nd Prize £1000.
3rd Prize £ 500.
4th Prize The latest Anthology (For Ten Poets)
Schools
1st Prize £ 250.
2nd Prize £ 80.
3rd Prize £ 35.
4th Prize 15 Anthologies (for 15 poets) plus £100 pounds for
the four junior and senior top schools.
=====
FAMILY CIRCLE FICTION CONTEST
http://www.familycircle.com/fc/story.jhtml
---
NO ENTRY FEE
Deadline August 31, 2007. Submit an original, fiction short
story of no more than 2,500 words. Amateur writers who are
legal residents of the 50 United States, and the District of
Columbia, 21 years of age or older are eligible to enter.
One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a grand prize package
including $750, a gift certificate to a mediabistro.com course
of his or her choice retail value (“RV”) $610, a one year
mediabistro.com AvantGuild membership RV $49 and possible
publication in Family Circle magazine.  Two (2) runners-up
will each receive a runners-up prize package including $250,
a one year mediabistro.com AvantGuild membership RV $49, and
stories may appear on familycircle.com .
=====
MIDDLE GRADE ADVENTURE CONTEST
http://www.childrenswriter.com/
---
$10 ENTRY FEE
Entry period is August 1 to October 31, 2007.  Winners are
announced in the March, 2008 issue of Children’s Writer.
Prize structure is $500 for first place plus publication in
Children’s Writer, $250 for 2nd place, and $100 for 3rd, 4th,
and 5th places. The contest is for a story about an adventure,
 small or large, to 1,200 words, for ages 8 to 12. The adventure
may take place in another genre, such as historical fiction, or
fantasy, or may be contemporary. The antagonist or conflict may
stem from other characters, from internal goals, from nature,
society, or technology, but the story should balance plot and
characterization. Stories will also be judged on age-targeting,
originality, style, and the overall quality of writing.
Publishability is the ultimate criterion.

4. GRANTS
LOWER MANHATTAN CULTURAL COUNCIL RESIDENCY GRANTS
http://lmcc.net/art/residencies/workspace/writer/index.html
---
The Council’s writer's residency for 2007-2008 has been created
in partnership with GSA as part of the celebration of the
centennial anniversary of the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom
House at Bowling Green. While in residence, writers will be
exposed to the vast and rich history of the surrounding
neighborhood, architecture, and artwork, as well as, the
Custom House itself. Note: Due to the high security in the
building, the studio workspace is NOT open to the public or
to visitors of writers while in residence. Residency Dates:
Tuesday, September 4, 2007 – Friday, May 23, 2008. Deadline
June 27, 2007.
=====
COLORADO ART RANCH
http://www.coloradoartranch.org/
---
Colorado Art Ranch is a nonprofit nomadic artist and writer's
residency and Artposium. The program travels to two Colorado
towns each year and adopts themes that reflect the area's
heritage, natural resources, topography and people. The
program is composed of two parts: a two-day Artposium open
to the public and a one-month residency for contemporary
artists and writers. Deadline July 1, 2007.
=====
BEMIS CENTER
http://www.bemiscenter.org/
---
Location Omaha, NE. Few programs exist either on the national
or international level where the sole mission is to support
the creativity of artists. From the beginning, the art-making
process has been the highest priority at the Bemis Center for
Contemporary Arts, where both the atmosphere and environment
offer ideal situations for creative growth and experimentation.
We address the practical aspects of this mission by providing
well-equipped studio spaces, living accommodations and monthly
stipends. Located in two urban warehouses totaling 110,000
square feet, our facilities are designed to foster creativity
and the productive exchange of ideas. Artists from around the
world come to the Bemis Center to work in this supportive
community and confront new challenges.

5.  FREELANCE
TAI CHI
http://www.tai-chi.com/mag_guidelines.php
---
Payment can range from $75 to $500, depending on the length
and quality of the article. This includes payment for photos.
Articles may be a feature or interview about a style, self-
defense techniques, principles and philosophy, training methods,
weapons, case histories of benefits, or new or unusual uses for
T'ai Chi Ch'uan. Try to avoid profiles of teachers that focus
just on their many skills and accomplishments.
=====
FIERY FOOD AND BARBECUE MAGAZINE
http://www.fiery-foods.com/guidelines.htm
---
Fiery-Foods & Barbecue Magazine and www.fiery-foods.com cover
the entire realm of fiery-foods and barbecue, including gardening,
spicy products, cooking, barbecuing, and travel. Presents the most
interesting information, articles, photos and recipes about these
fascinating subjects. Payment rates range from $250 (web site only)
to $350 (web site plus magazine). The fee will be paid within
thirty days of publication.
=====
MOTHERING MAGAZINE

http://www.mothering.com/sections/submission_guidelines/submission_guidelines.html
---
Pays between $200 and $500 for a magazine article. Addresses
contemporary health, personal, environmental, medical, and
lifestyle issues in an upbeat, intelligent, compassionate, and
courageous way. Each issue contains philosophical inspiration
and practical advice about family living. Topics are as diverse
as circumcision, vaccinations, organic foods, childhood illnesses,
home birth, ear infections, parenting teens, web site information,
midwifery, and homeopathy.

6.  JOBS
CHARLESTON REGIONAL BUSINESS JOURNAL - FREELANCE WRITERS
Location Mt. Pleasant, SC
http://www.northcarolinajobnetwork.com/jobs.asp?pagemode=15&jid=736337&
job_code=%2D1&job_type_id=3&category_id=%2D1&keywords=&city_id=%2D1&domain_id=%2D1&
kt=Freelance+Writers%2FPhotographers&kc=Charleston+Regional+Business+Journal&
kl=Mount+Pleasant%2C+SC
---
Setcom Media, Inc. is seeking freelance writers and photographers
from around the state to cover the South Carolina business
community for SCBIZ, a quarterly magazine and a sister
publication to the Charleston Regional Business Journal.
Applicants should be self-starters, have excellent writing/
photography skills, possess a high standard of accuracy and
attention to detail, and a drive to learn and be part of a
publication designed to be the ultimate source of news and
information for the South Carolina business community.
Previous experience covering South Carolina county or state
government is preferred.
=====
COPYWRITER
Location Akron, OH

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?sc_extcmp=JS_JobAlert_Title&ipath=PSSK04&psa=1&Job_DID=J3I3GY67X1W9SHL1LFT
---
Compensation: $20 to $25 per hour. Primary assignment will
be a 12-20 page monthly newsletter. May also support other
initiatives as needed. Approximately 20 hours per week.
May not be required to be in Akron.
=====
COPYEDITOR
Location Washington DC
http://www.careerbuilder.com/Job
Seeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?sc_extcmp=JS_JobAlert_Title&ipath=PSSK04&psa=1&Job_DID=J3G5SJ66PP9L1PJZ85N
---
We are an online business and consumer news publication
firm and in need of a fast and accurate Copy Editor.
$50,000.00 - $65,000.00 /Year. BA degree in Media,
Communications, English or the equivalent. At least three
years of experience as a journalist, copy editor or proven
writing and editing skills. Knowledge of AP style. Facility
for using online publishing tools. Ability to edit quickly
and accurately on deadline.

7.  PUBLISHERS / AGENTS
MIRRORSTONE
http://ww2.wizards.com/books/mirrorstone/Submissions.aspx
---
Mirrorstone is interested in considering proposals for chapter
books, standalone novels, and series fiction, aimed at children
and young adults ages 6-9, 8-12, or 12 and up. We will consider
most forms of speculative fiction: high fantasy, low fantasy,
horror, science fiction, or mystery. We are not interested in
realistic fiction. We are currently not interested in picture
books or picture book series.
=====
SHANNON ROAD PRESS
http://www.shannonroadpress.com/index.php
---
Publishes only Mystery Fiction. We publish quality short stories
and novels with special emphasis given to talented new writers.
We do not require authors to have an agent.  If you have one
already, fine, but we prefer dealing direct.
=====
MANIC D PRESS
http://www.manicdpress.com/
---
An award-winning literary press based in San Francisco,
California publishing fiction, poetry, pop culture, music,
art, narrative-oriented comix, and alternative travel books,
we represent a diverse group of unique writers and artists,
with emphasis on those who have been shunned by the traditional
publishing establishment for lacking commercial viability,
regardless of their talent or future promise.

WELL SPOKEN IS HALF SUNG
The Vocabula Review
The principal web destination for anyone interested in
words and language.
www.vocabula.com
The Vocabula Review battles nonstandard, careless English
and embraces clear, expressive English. "Read The Vocabula
Review, and you will be convinced that the battle ought to
be yours, too." — Joseph Epstein in The Wall Street Journal
=====

17th ANNUAL SOUTH CAROLINA WRITERS WORKSHOP CONFERENCE
October 26 - 28, 2007
The Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort, Myrtle Beach, SC
70+ Workshops - Critiques - Carrie McCray Literary Contest
9 Literary Agents - 9 Editors - Many Poets & Authors
Website: www.myscww.org  email: confe-@myscww.org

C. Hope Clark is a workshop presenter. She'd love to see you there.
Tell her you are a FundsforWriters reader, and she'll send you
the ebook of your choice.
=====

Advertise with FundsforWriters !!! Reach 11,800 members!
Advertise with FFW Small Markets! Reach 3,800 members!
ADS FOR $9 AND UP!
$ 9 - one week in FFW Small Markets
$30 - four weeks in FFW Small Markets
$20 - one week in FundsforWriters
$60 - four weeks in FundsforWriters
$25 - one week in both FundsforWriters & FFW Small Markets
$75 - four weeks in FundsforWriters & FFW Small Markets
http://www.fundsforwriters.com/adrates.htm

C. Hope Clark
ho-@fundsforwriters.com
HopeC-@aol.com