Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update, 2007/06/22: Effective Onscreen Editing  The Editorium
 Jun 22, 2007 11:42 PDT

Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
June 22, 2007

CONTENTS

Feature Article: Effective Onscreen Editing

Readers Write: Bill Rubidge on "The Need for Speed"

Resources: Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill

Still working the hard way? Try Editor's ToolKit Plus, our premier
add-in for Microsoft Word. The program automatically cleans up common
editorial and typographical problems, converts automatically numbered
notes to text (or vice versa), converts files for QuarkXPress, and makes
editing a snap (well, snappier than usual). Why not try it today?

http://www.editorium.com/14857.htm

EFFECTIVE ONSCREEN EDITING

If you've spent much time in user groups related to Microsoft Word,
Macintosh computers, or technical writing, you've probably seen postings
and articles by Geoff Hart, one of the most prolific, respected, and
helpful writers and Word experts I know. And now for the big news: Geoff
has released his long-awaited book Effective Onscreen Editing! You can
learn more about the book here:

http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm

Effective Onscreen Editing is yet to be released in print form, but the
PDF version is well worth acquiring--723 pages, exquisitely designed for
on-screen reading. I'm going to want the printed version so I can study
on my patio with a lemonade in hand, but the PDF offers some real
advantages, not the least of which are the clickable hyperlinks to
online resources and the ability to search the text (CTRL + F in Adobe
Reader).

The book is extremely well organized and amazingly thorough, covering
everything from determining your pay rate to preventing repetitive
stress injury, from personalizing your software to implementing a
practical backup strategy. I've included the basic table of contents
below, but you can download the complete table here:

http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/EOE-detailed-TOC.pdf

If you're editing onscreen, you can't afford *not* to buy this book. I
give it my strongest recommendation--and besides, Geoff deserves your
support. You can purchase the book here:

http://www.geoff-hart.com/ccart/

Many thanks to Geoff for creating this wonderful resource.

Contents of Effective Onscreen Editing

I. Overview and introduction

    Chapter 1. My goal and approach in this book
    Chapter 2. Advantages of onscreen editing
    Chapter 3. Writing and editing are human endeavors

II. Mastering the tools

    Chapter 4. Personalizing how your software works
    Chapter 5. Moving around the document and selecting text
    Chapter 6. Using revision tracking
    Chapter 7. Inserting and deleting text
    Chapter 8. Using the search tools (find and replace) to improve
consistency
    Chapter 9. Developing style sheets: a tool for consistency
    Chapter 10. Using spelling and grammar checkers
    Chapter 11. Automating your edits
    Chapter 12. Editing in special situations
    Chapter 13. Using the Internet to improve your editing

III. Identifying and overcoming barriers

    Chapter 14. Coping when revision tracking isnít available
    Chapter 15. Developing safeguards
    Chapter 16. Solving the proofreading problem
    Chapter 17. Coping with the human factor
    Chapter 18: Putting the theory to work: a four-step implementation
process

Appendix I. Developing a sound backup strategy

    Elements of a backup strategy
    Recovering the current version of your work
    Recovering previous versions of your work
    Protecting yourself against viruses and other malware
    Protecting yourself against theft and damage

Appendix II: Protecting yourself from injury while using the computer

    Aches and pains
    Hand problems
    Eye strain
    Solutions

Appendix III: Changes made in Word XP, Word 2003, and Word 2004

    Adapting the tips in the main text to work with these versions of
Word

Further reading

    Useful references
    Helpful Internet resources

You'll find more information about Geoff himself at his website:

www.geoff-hart.com

And again, you can purchase the book here:

http://www.geoff-hart.com/ccart/

READERS WRITE

After reading the last newsletter on "The Need for Speed," Bill Rubidge
wrote:

One suggestion I would add, since it is so basic, is: Learn to use the
keyboard whenever possible, rather than the mouse. And I'm not
necessarily suggesting learning and memorizing the keyboard
commands--I'm just suggesting using the keyboard Alt keys to access the
Word menus and move through them to the command you want and would
otherwise access via numerous mouse moves and clicks. Once you display
the keyboard commands (use the options to do this), learning to use the
keyboard instead of the mouse is pretty quick.

Many thanks to Bill. If you have questions, hints, or comments you'd
like to share, please send an email message here:

mailto:edi-@editorium.com

RESOURCES

Jonathan's Tool Bar & Grill reviews many free or cheap utilities and Web
sites, both of general interest and of special interest to writers and
editors. Among the writer's productivity tools recommended are:

* ToDoList (free task list manager)
* Smart Type Assistant (shareware abbreviation expander)
* Phrase Express (free abbreviation expander)
* WordWeb (free dictionary)
* Documeron (free quick access to recently used files)
* TinySpell (free text spell-checker)
* FileBox Extender (free quick access to recently used folders)
* TraxTime (shareware punch clock)
* Copernic Desktop Search (free)
* Screenshot Captor, FastStone Capture, and MW Snap (free screen capture
tools)

For more information, visit the blog here:

http://jonathanstoolbar.blogspot.com

If you'd like to share a resource that others might find useful:

mailto:resou-@editorium.com

HELP WANTED

If you need help with Word, there are actually lots of places to go.
Some of the best include:

The Word-PC List:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/word-pc.html

The McEdit list:

Microsoft's Word discussion groups:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx#13
(Look in the lower right of the page.)

The Word MVP site:
http://word.mvps.org/

Woody's Lounge:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd

But if you can't find what you need in those places, send your question
here:

mailto:he-@editorium.com

I'll put your question in the newsletter to see if some astute reader
knows the answer.

Got books? Get even more at Waking Lion Press:

http://www.wakinglionpress.com

I *love* SpamArrest. After unsuccessfully trying to fight the battle
against junk email with a couple of top-notch programs, I decided to try
SpamArrest, and I'm thrilled to say it's actually won the war. Boy, has
my email been quiet! When people send me an email message, they receive
a message in return asking them to click a link to register themselves
(a one-time operation) as someone who can send me email. Spammers, of
course, won't bother to do this, which basically means no more spam!
It's easy to preregister family, friends, associates, and email
newsletters. The online program (no software installed on your computer)
provides complete control over how spam is handled, and it's very easy
to use. You can try SpamArrest for 30 days at no charge. To learn more,
click here:

http://spamarrest.com/affl?1403707

And if you decide to sign up, please do so through that affiliate link.
Your support will help keep Editorium Update alive and kicking. Thanks!

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter here:
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM, LLC
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright © 2007 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and print or store it for your own use. Any other
broadcast, publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without
written permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited. If you're
interested in reprinting one of our articles, please send an email
message here: mailto:repr-@editorium.com

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.