Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update, October 3, 2000  The Editorium
 Oct 04, 2000 09:06 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
October 3, 2000

CONDITIONAL TEXT
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:edi-@editorium.com)

Conditional text is text that you want to appear only in a certain
situation. For example, let's say you're using Microsoft Word to write
two brochures for the new WidgetMaster 2000. One brochure is a sales
piece; the other explains the product's technical specifications.
However, certain sections of both brochures contain exactly the same
information.

The brochures are going to go through several rounds of client approval,
and you're not excited about having to make the same corrections in
both. Of course, you could make the corrections in one and then copy the
corrected sections into the other. But if you're like me, you'd start to
wonder if you'd been consistent about it, and at some point you'd get
confused about which version was really correct. Fussing around with
different versions is a pain.

Instead of working with two versions, consider using conditional
text--courtesy of our old friend, Hidden formatting. (See our past two
newsletters for other ways to use this feature.)

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1702656525
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1702836319

Using conditional text, you can write and correct just one document,
hiding or revealing the conditional sections as needed. Here's how:

1. Create the styles for the sections that are the same in both
brochures: CommonHeading, CommonBody, and so on. (Or just use your usual
styles.)

2. Create the styles for the sales section: SalesHeading, SalesBody, and
so on.

3. Create the styles for the technical section: TechHeading, TechBody,
and so on.

4. Base all of the styles *for each kind of section* on one main style.
For example, you might base the SalesHeading style on the SalesBody
style, and the TechHeading style on the TechBody style.

Now write the brochure, using the styles to format the common, sales,
and technical sections.

When you're ready to print one of the brochure versions (the sales
version, for example), set the main style for the technical section
(TechBody) to Hidden, as explained in last week's newsletter:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1702836319

All of the text for the technical section will disappear, leaving
visible only the common and sales sections. There's your sales brochure!

When you're ready to print the technical brochure, remove the Hidden
formatting from the main technical style (TechBody) and set it for the
main sales style (SalesBody). All of the text for the sales section will
disappear, leaving visible only the common and technical sections.
There's your technical brochure!

This may not be as sophisticated as the conditional text feature in
dedicated composition programs, such as FrameMaker. But somewhere,
sometime, maybe it will help you get the job done.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2000 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.