Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update: Adding a Template Automatically  The Editorium
 Jun 13, 2001 08:28 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
June 13, 2001

In upcoming issues of Editorium Update, I'll explain how to run macros
by adding your own toolbar buttons, menu items, and keyboard
combinations to Microsoft Word. If you want to get a head start,
however, be sure to read today's Readers Write column, where subscriber
David M Varner explains the importance of using keyboard combinations
("hot keys") and how to create them. Thanks, David!

ADDING A TEMPLATE AUTOMATICALLY
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:edi-@editorium.com)

Last week I explained how to add macros to Microsoft Word in a "global
template" or "add-in." You can read last week's newsletter here:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1707012536

The problem is, every time you start Word, you'll have to reactivate the
global template before you can use its macros. Here's the procedure:

1. Click the "Tools" menu (the "File" menu in earlier versions of Word).
2. Click "Templates and Add-ins" ("Templates" in earlier versions of
Word).
3. In the list of global templates and add-ins, put a checkmark in the
checkbox for the template you want to use.
4. Click the "OK" button.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if you could have Word add the template
automatically? You can. Just follow this procedure:

1. Close Microsoft Word.
2. Copy the template you want to add automatically.
3. Navigate to Word's Startup folder.
4. Paste the template into the Startup folder.
5. Restart Microsoft Word.

The macros in the template should now be available for you to use, and
they'll be available automatically every time you start Word.

If you don't know where the Startup folder is, here's how to find out:

1. Click the "Tools" menu (in any version of Word).
2. Click the "Options" menu item.
3. Click the "File Locations" tab.

You'll see the location of the Startup folder on the line labeled
"Startup." (If you can't see the full path to the folder, click the
"Modify" button.)

READERS WRITE

David M Varner (dmva-@switch.com) wrote:

Thank you for your recent information on macros. They are a big key to
saving critical time on editorial tasks. I know that my assignments
frequently incur midstream revisions; more accurately, frequent
revisions (to subject matter as well as format) are the rule. So while
macros may take a little time to create, you can zoom through those
revisions so quickly that it is well worth knowing this function well.
Glad to see your focus on macros.

I disagree, however, with your implicit vote for using Word's menu to
implement macros. Sorting through menu items is generally somewhat
awkward, especially with time constraints always looming. A pretty good
short circuit for this snare is to use hot keys. Even if you prefer
mousing in the menu, hot keys are a wonderful snap by comparison when
considering time, and possibly crucial when a deadline is close. Having
a stable of custom macros is not a bad idea either, if not inevitable.

Not only can you choose to assign hot keys while you are creating a
macro, but you can also create hot keys for existing macros. I
discovered the latter a couple of years ago while trying to remember the
hot keys I had assigned to a certain macro. To my dismay, the answer was
not to be found in the Macros dialog box--a strange oversight.

This oversight was so strange, in fact, I was convinced that macro
hot-key assignments still must exist somewhere. Well, they do, and their
location was not obvious, but not too far away. In short, I found them
in the "Customize" dialog box. So, to find the forgotten hot keys you
assigned to a macro:

1. Click "Tools" on the menu, then select "Customize" to access the
"Customize" dialog box.
2. Click the "Keyboard" button to access the "Customize Keyboard" dialog
box.
3. In the "Categories" field, scroll down to and select "Macros."
4. In the "Macros" field, scroll, if necessary, down to the macro you
want and select it. Your assigned hot keys now appear in the "Current
keys" field.

You can probably now figure out how to assign (or modify) hot keys to
existing macros using the "Customize Keyboard" dialog box: Using the
"Press new shortcut key" field, select "Ctrl," "Alt," and/or "Shift"
keys in combination with other keyboard characters to make that hot-key
assignment.

If you have helpful hints or other comments you'd like to share in
Editorium Update, we'd be happy to consider them for publication. Please
email them here: mailto:hin-@editorium.com

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Actually, we're not taking advertising yet, but at some point we will
be. I just thought you should know.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm/.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2001 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.