Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update 2003/08/27: Quote, Unquote  The Editorium
 Aug 28, 2003 12:29 PDT

Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
August 27, 2003

CONTENTS

Feature Article: Quote, Unquote

Readers Write: Style by Microsoft

Resources: Garbl's Writing Center

Still working the hard way? Try Editor's ToolKit Plus, our premier
add-in program for Microsoft Word. Automatically clean up common
editorial and typographical problems, convert automatically numbering
notes to text (or vice versa), convert files for QuarkXPress, and make
editing a snap (well, snappier than usual). You can try the program at
no charge for 45 days:

http://www.editorium.com/14857.htm

You can buy our book, Total Word Domination, in PDF form here:
http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/product.html?100473467117

Or, you can buy it for Microsoft Reader here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005R1ZO/

QUOTE, UNQUOTE
By Jack M. Lyon

If you've read many past issues of this newsletter, you know that I
loathe Word's AutoFormat options, although I do use one of
them--"Replace straight quotes with smart quotes." But sometimes, no
matter how hard I try, I can't insert a quotation mark going the right
direction. If I want a closing quotation mark, Word insists on giving me
an opening one--or vice versa. If you've run into this problem, you
know how maddening it can be. Wouldn't it be nice to type precisely the
kind of "smart" quotation marks you need without having Word
second-guess what you're doing? It turns out there's a built-in way to
do that. Here are the key commands you need:

OPENING DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK

To get an opening double quotation mark, press this key combination:
CTRL + `

(That little character on the end there is the single quotation mark on
the key to the left of the "1" key on your keyboard.)

Next, press this:
SHIFT + '

(That little character on the end is an apostrophe. In other words, just
type a quotation mark as you usually would.)

There's your opening double quotation mark.

CLOSING DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK

To get a closing double quotation mark, press this:
CTRL + '

Then press this:
SHIFT + '

OPENING SINGLE QUOTATION MARK

To get an opening single quotation mark, press this:
CTRL + `

Then press this:
`

CLOSING SINGLE QUOTATION MARK

To get an closing single quotation mark, press this:
CTRL + '

Then press this:
'

Now that I've told you all of that, I've got to say that I don't much
like those key combinations. They're hard to type, and they seem
inconsistent. Luckily, Word allows us to create our own key
combinations, so let's try setting up a more natural and consistent
system:

1. Click Insert > Symbol > Symbols tab.

2. Make sure the "Font" list shows "(normal text)."

3. Make sure the "Subset" list shows "General Punctuation."

On the bottom row in the fifth column, you'll see an opening single
quotation mark.

In the sixth column, you'll see a closing single quotation mark.

In the ninth column, you'll see an opening double quotation mark

And in the tenth column, you'll see a closing double quotation mark.

Now let's assign some keys:

1. Click the opening single quotation mark.

2. Click the "Shortcut Key" button.

3. Press the new key combination you want to use. I'm thinking this one:

CTRL + '

4. Click the "Assign" button.

5. Click the "Close" button.

While we're still in there, let's assign the rest of the quotation
marks. To do so, repeat steps 1 through 5 for each quotation mark. Here
are the other key combinations I'm going to use:

For the closing single quotation mark: ALT + '

For the opening double quotation mark: SHIFT + CTRL + '

For the closing double quotation mark: SHIFT + ALT + '

When you're finished, press that final "Close" button to put away the
"Symbol" dialog.

That should do it. Note that you can continue to use Word’s AutoFormat
quotation marks if you want. But when you need to, you can easily
specify exactly the kind of quotation marks you need to use.

READERS WRITE

After reading last week's article "Style by Microsoft," quite a few
readers sent additional Microsoft "style" nominations for our "hall of
shame." Many thanks to all of them!

Kenneth Sutton wrote:

Here's my nomination of the "replace internet paths with hyperlinks".
Bah!

In a similar vein, India Amos noted:

How about this classic: e-mail addresses underlined (not to mention blue
and hotlinked). Yecch! Have you ever _deliberately_ clicked a linked
e-mail address in a Word file? Me neither.

Finally, Andrea Balinson wrote:

The "style by Microsoft" example that drives me crazy is "Internet and
network paths with hyperlinks," which makes Web addresses appear
underlined in blue. It's one thing if the document you're writing is
designed to be read on a computer; in that case, having URLs as
hyperlinks can actually be useful. Most of the time, though, I see
printed letters, memos, and other paper materials in which the URLs are
underlined -- obviously because whoever created the documents didn't
know or care enough to stop Word from formatting them as links.

LeAnne Baird wrote:

Here's my pet grammar-spelling peeve:

If you don't know that 'til is a contraction of until, Microsoft spell
checker only gives you till as an option, not till and 'til. What would
it cost them to fix this? .00000000000001 per licensed copy.

Caryl Wenzel wrote:

I have complained many a time of "style" imposed by Microsoft that is
not accepted in an editorial style manual. Yet, someone at Microsoft
thinks he or she is doing someone a favor by providing all these
so-called helpful ideas.

I routinely omit such formatting and follow traditional editorial
guidelines. I just wish Microsoft would learn the same. In fact, even
Microsoft publishes it own style manuals for the books its publishing
arm produces, and many of these imposed styles are not allowed.

Peg Hausman wrote:

My pet peeve about Word's "help" is its default enforcement of the
alleged rule against using "which" to introduce a restrictive
(essential) clause in a sentence. I've appended a longish e-mail (below)
that I sent to a local electronic discussion group a while back
explaining why the rule doesn't hold water. But the short version is
that it was originally simply a mild preference expressed by H. W.
Fowler in his famous _Modern English Usage_ (1926). The preference got
picked up by AP and was soon presented as grammatical gospel,
reproducing itself via journalism teachers all over the United States,
in spite of the fact that it fails to reflect most normal educated
usage.

Redmond has picked up this fiction and incorporated it into its Grammar
function. Type a sentence like "The only document which really mattered
was the one they neglected to send" into Word, and it will put the
well-known wavy green underline under the fourth through the sixth
words. A couple of investigative clicks will get you this message:

"If the marked group of words is essential to the meaning of your
sentence, use 'that' to introduce the group of words. Do not use a
comma. If the words are not essential to the meaning of your sentence,
use "which" and separate them with a comma."

I have two problems with this. One is that it is too dogmatic: If MS
wants to help people abide by AP (and AP-influenced) rules, that's fine,
but it should be noted as a matter of AP house style and not as law.

The other problem is that a lot of people won't get as far as the second
click, so won't know what the wavy green line is about. They may,
however, discover through experiment that adding a couple of commas will
make the wavy green line go away. I've seen quite a number of
restrictive clauses incorrectly garnished with commas for this reason,
and the effect can be most confusing. If you add commas to the sentence
above--"The only document, which really mattered, was the one they
neglected to send"--it promptly sounds witless and absurd.

As noted below, there's a longer discussion at this URL:

<http://www.electriceditors.net/edline/vol7/7-82.txt>

I'm afraid even the abbreviated polemic in this e-mail may be too long
for you to use [Editor's note: Not at all. It's fascinating!], but in
any case, thanks for the chance to cast my vote against a really
annoying Wordism!