Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update 2005/03/23: Line Numbers  The Editorium
 Mar 24, 2005 10:30 PST

Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
March 23, 2005

CONTENTS

Feature Article: Line Numbers

Readers Write: InCopy

Resources: NoteBox Disorganizer, again.

Spring is here! Or fall, if you live in Australia (thanks, Ros!).
Wouldn't you like to get out of the office and enjoy it? Try our add-in
programs for Microsoft Word. If you're editing, typesetting, or indexing
in Word, our programs will give you time to smell the daffodils--or
shuffle through the autumn leaves.

http://www.editorium.com/

LINE NUMBERS
By Jack M. Lyon

I recently needed to use line numbers in a Word document to be reviewed
by an author so we could discuss editing changes over the phone without
saying things like "Page 289, second full paragraph, fourth line down."
Using line numbers, we could say, "Page 289, line 23." Much easier.

If you'd like to do the same, here's how:

1. In Word, click File > Page Setup.

2. Click the Layout tab.

3. Click the Line Numbers button. Didn't know that was there, eh?

4. Put a check in the box labeled "Add line numbering."

5. Set "Start at" to 1, "From text" to "Auto," and "Count by" to 1.

6. Under "Numbering" select "Restart each page."

7. Click OK.

8. Click OK.

9. Make sure you're looking at Print Layout (View > Print Layout).

Line numbers!

Now you and your authors can be on the same page. Er, line. Enjoy!

Next week: How to number paragraphs.

READERS WRITE

Brad Hurley wrote:

Regarding plugins for InDesign, Adobe also offers its own InCopy
plug-in, which is aimed at facilitating workflow within small teams of
writers, editors, and designers. Some of the plug-ins mentioned in the
March 16, 2005 Editorium, are based on InCopy. The designer exports
stories to InCopy, and an editor can then edit text directly in the
layout using InCopy on his or her own computer. This is great for
copyfitting or when you have to make a lot of edits to text that has
already been laid out in InDesign.

Two caveats:

1. The InCopy workflow does not work well for situations in which you
have designers in one location and editors or writers in another. It is
extremely slow over remote networks (e.g., it took InCopy seven minutes
to switch from galley view to layout view over my company's VPN, and
that was just for a one-page story).

2. Adobe's documentation for InCopy is next to useless, and there are no
clear step-by-step instructions. Adobe has a couple of white papers
available that are helpful, but it's still not easy to figure out how to
get everything to work.

---------------------------

Thanks, Brad! If you have questions, hints, or comments you'd like to
share, please send an email message here:

mailto:hin-@editorium.com

RESOURCES

No, seriously, you should check out NoteBox Disorganizer:

http://www.geocities.com/goosnargh37/

It's an amazingly useful program.

NoteBox Disorganizer is tailor-made for quickly jotting down notes and
ideas, organizing those notes and ideas, combining selected notes into a
document, and exporting that document for publication. It's truly my
favorite writing program, and I've tried pretty much everything out
there. Here are some of the things that make NoteBox Disorganizer so
outstanding:

* Notes are kept in a spreadsheet-like grid that is easy to understand
and navigate. And that means all your notes are spread out in plain
sight; nothing is hidden away in a database or lost in an outline
"tree."

* It's possible to name each column, so you can easily categorize your
notes under the columns where they belong. Have a note that belongs
under more than one category? Clone it! Change a clone, and that change
is reflected in all of the others.

* It's also possible to name each *row,* so you can lay out a book's
structure before you even start writing. Consider:

               Chapter 1     Chapter 2     Chapter 3 . . .

Title
Quotation
Story
Discussion
Point A
Point B
Point C
Summary
Conclusion

I routinely use NoteBox Disorganizer to write this newsletter:

                 2005/03/24 2005/03/17 2005/03/10

Masthead
Feature article
Readers Write
Resources
Fine print

If I wanted to export just the feature articles to create a book, I
could select them (as a horizontal row), add them to the program's
"Outbox," and export them as text or an RTF file.

* Use named columns and rows for just *thinking* about things. For
example:

                 NoteBox     MS Word Literary Machine

Easy to use?     Yes         No       No
Bounded find?    Yes         No       Yes
Notes in grid?   Yes         No       Limited
Clones?          Yes         No       No

I love the side-by-sideness of all this, which gives me a sense of
overview, organization, and control that I don't get in any other
program.

* If you need finer "granularity" in categorizing notes, you can include
note ~keywords in the text (and keep an alphabetical list of those
~keywords) and then do a "bounded" search for them. In Boolean terms,
that's an "And" search, which finds notes that include all of the
specified ~keywords. Don't want to fuss with ~keywords? You can still
use a bounded search to find notes that contain several terms.

* NoteBox Disorganizer keeps a *running word count* of the text you
type, in a single note, in all notes under a category, or in a complete
NoteBox file. Fabulous!

* NoteBox Disorganizer can import existing text files, save notes as
text files, and even *link to* existing text files (amazing!), so you
can use it to organize all those files spread all over your hard drive.
Oh, and this works with RTF files, too. That also means you can use the
program with files synchronized to your Pocket PC or Palm device! If
this interests you, you'll also want to check out the program's "NoteBox
Exploded" file-saving ability.

* You can use reStructuredText markup (discussed in the previous
newsletter), so after you export a document assembled from your notes,
you can typeset it with LaTeX or turn it into an HTML document.

The program has much, much more--far too much to cover here--and yet
it's surprisingly easy to use. Just download it and play with it for an
hour. You'll immediately begin to see what it can do for you. I highly
recommend it.

If you'd like to tell us about a resource that others might find useful,
please email us here: mailto:resou-@editorium.com

I *love* SpamArrest. After unsuccessfully trying to fight the battle
against junk email with a couple of top-notch programs, I decided to try
SpamArrest, and I'm thrilled to say it's actually won the war. Boy, has
my email been quiet! When people send me an email message, they receive
a message in return asking them to click a link to register themselves
(a one-time operation) as someone who can send me email. Spammers, of
course, won't bother to do this, which basically means no more spam!
It's easy to preregister family, friends, associates, and email
newsletters. The online program (no software installed on your computer)
provides complete control over how spam is handled, and it's very easy
to use. You can try SpamArrest for 30 days at no charge. To learn more,
click here:

http://spamarrest.com/affl?1403707

And if you decide to sign up, please do so through that affiliate link.
Your support will help keep Editorium Update alive and kicking. Thanks!

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter here:
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2005 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and print or store it for your own use. Any other
broadcast, publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without
written permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited. If you're
interested in reprinting one of our articles, please send an email
message here: mailto:repr-@editorium.com

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.