Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update: Macros in Add-in Templates  The Editorium
 Jun 06, 2001 10:47 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
June 6, 2001

MACROS IN ADD-IN TEMPLATES
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:edi-@editorium.com)

Last week I explained how to put the text of a "found macro" into
Microsoft Word on your computer. You can read last week's newsletter
here:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1706922855

Often, however, when you find a macro on the Internet, it won't be lines
of text. Instead, the macro will be stored in a Word template (usually
along with other macros) that you can "add" to Word. You'll find some
useful examples at the Electric Editors Web site, here:

http://www.electriceditors.net/macros/index.htm

And at one of my favorite sites, the WORDinfoWEBindex from Alki
Software:

http://www.wordinfo.com/links/ailist.htm

And at About.com:

http://microsoftsoft.about.com/compute/businesssoft/cs/addons1/index.htm

And at Microsoft:

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/supmacros.aspx

And, of course, at the Editorium:

http://www.editorium.com

Microsoft calls such templates "global templates and add-ins" or "add-in
templates." They work kind of like an electric screwdriver, which comes
with all kinds of little tools that make it do different things. For
example, you can insert a screwdriver blade if you want to turn a screw.
You can insert a drill bit if you want to drill a hole. Or you can
insert a sausage grinder if you want to make sausage (just kidding).

Think of Microsoft Word as the electric screwdriver. And think of add-in
templates (with their macros) as the tools that fit into the screwdriver
to make it do different things. (Thanks to Hilary Powers for this
analogy.) If you've used QuarkXPress, you're familiar with XTensions. If
you've used PageMaker, you've seen Plug-ins. Global templates and
add-ins are the same kind of thing.

Once you've found an add-in template (and its macros) that you want to
use, here's how to add it to your system:

1. Put the template into Word's Templates folder. (If you don't know
where that is, you can find out by clicking the "Tools" menu, then
"Options," and then "File Locations." You'll find the location of the
folder on the line labeled "User templates." If you can't see the full
path to the folder, click the "Modify" button.)
2. Click the "Tools" menu (the "File" menu in earlier versions of Word).
3. Click "Templates and Add-ins" ("Templates" in earlier versions of
Word).
4. Click the "Add" button.
5. Click the template you want to add.
6. Click the "OK" button.
7. Click the next "OK" button to finish up.

(Note: If your macro security level is set to high, you may need to
change it to medium or low before you can use the template and its
macros. You can do this by clicking "Tools," then "Macro," and then
"Security." You may want to read more about this in Word's Help file or
check with your system administrator before proceeding.)

Once you've added the template, you may see new menu items or toolbars
on your Word screen that run the macros included with the template (be
sure to read any accompanying documentation). Or, you may need to run
the macros like this:

1. Click the "Tools" menu.
2. Click "Macro."
3. In Word 97 or later, click "Macros."
4. Click the name of your macro to select it.
5. Click the "Run" button.

Before using any add-in template and its macros, please heed these
cautions:

* Make sure the template comes from a reliable source.

* Make sure the macros you want to use were created for the version of
Word you are using. Macros created for Word 97 and later versions will
not run in earlier versions, and macros created for earlier versions may
not work in later versions. Also, later versions of Word have certain
features that earlier versions don't, so a macro that uses features
specific to Word 2000 won't run in Word 97.

* Before using a macro on a real document, test it on a backup copy of
the document to *make sure* it does what you need it to do.

READERS WRITE

If you have helpful hints or other comments you'd like to share in
Editorium Update, we'd be happy to consider them for publication. Please
email them here: mailto:hin-@editorium.com

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Actually, we're not taking advertising yet, but at some point we will
be. I just thought you should know.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm/.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2001 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.