Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update: Creating Add-in Templates  The Editorium
 Jun 20, 2001 13:01 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
June 20, 2001

The company that hosts our Web site is having serious trouble, which
means that our Web site is currently unavailable and that email sent to
edi-@editorium.com will not be delivered. We're working hard to get
the problem fixed and apologize for the inconvenience. For now, if you
need to contact us, please send email to jack-@uswest.net. Thanks for
your patience.

CREATING ADD-IN TEMPLATES
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:jack-@uswest.net)

If you've been recording your own macros, as explained in our past
several newsletters, you've probably been saving them in your Normal
template, where they'll be available to use with any document. The
Normal template may not be the best place to save them, however. Since
it's used a lot, it can become corrupt. (You should back up your Normal
template frequently.) Also, saving macros in your Normal template makes
it hard to keep them organized.

What's the alternative? Create your own add-in templates as a place to
keep your macros. Doing so has several advantages:

1. It makes organizing your macros easy. You can keep all the macros for
a particular project or task in a single add-in template.
2. It makes backing up your macros easy. Just keep copies of your
templates in several locations.
3. It makes sharing your macros easy. Just give a copy of a template to
a colleague or friend.

For information on how to use add-in templates, please see the past two
issues of Editorium Update:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1707012536
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1707100224

So how do you create an add-in template? Here's the way I like to do it:

1. Create a new document in Microsoft Word.
2. Save the document as a Microsoft Word template, which has a ".dot"
extension. Be sure to give it a name that describes the purpose of the
macros you're going to store in the template (for example, Cleanup.dot
or MyProject.dot).
3. Click the "Tools" menu.
4. Click "Macro" and (in Word 97 or later) "Macros."
5. Click the "Organizer" button.

On the "Macro Project Items" tab, you'll see two windows. The name of
the template you just created should be displayed above the left window,
which should be empty since the template doesn't contain any macros yet.
If the name of your template isn't displayed, click the drop-down list
under the window and select it.

The window on the right should show the macros available in Normal.dot
(as indicated above the window). If the window isn't displaying
Normal.dot, click the drop-down list under the window and select it.
Then, do this:

1. Select the macros in Normal.dot that you want to copy to your new
template. (To select several at once, hold down the CTRL key while
clicking the macro names.)
2. Click the "Copy" button. The macros should now be displayed in the
left window as being in your new template. (You can also delete or
rename macros if you like.)
3. Click the "Close" button.
4. Save your new template, which now contains the macros you copied to
it.

You've just created your own add-in template containing your own macros.

READERS WRITE

If you have helpful hints or other comments you'd like to share in
Editorium Update, we'd be happy to consider them for publication. Please
email them here: mailto:jack-@uswest.net

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Actually, we're not taking advertising yet, but at some point we will
be. I just thought you should know.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:jack-@uswest.net.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm/.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2001 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.