Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update: Semiautomatic Corrections  The Editorium
 Sep 26, 2001 11:34 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
September 26, 2001

SEMIAUTOMATIC CORRECTIONS
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:edi-@editorium.com)

Over the past few weeks we've discussed corrections that editors can
make automatically with Microsoft Word's Find and Replace feature. For
more information, see these three issues of Editorium Update:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708048908
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708127357
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708293844

In addition, editors can save time by making "semiautomatic"
corrections--in other words, by using Word's Find feature to locate
"indicators" of possible problems and then fixing those problems as
needed. For example, the word "are" is such an indicator. If you use
Word's Find feature to locate occurrences of the word "are," you'll run
into sentences like this one:

"The editors are making corrections in the manuscript."

This can be edited to this:

"The editors are correcting the manuscript."

Or maybe even to this:

"The editors correct the manuscript."

In fact, any form of the verb "to be" ("be," "are," "was," "were") may
indicate other problems (wordiness, passive voice, lack of a strong
verb, unnecessary use of the present participle, and so on).

(Before I edited it, the previous sentence read, " In fact, any forms of
the verb 'to be' are possible indicators of other problems . . . " See
what I mean?)

Another indicator is the suffix "ly," which can be used to find
sentences like this one:

"He ran quickly down the street."

Weak, weak, weak. How about "He bolted down the street" or "He charged
down the street" or "He blasted down the street"? If you're a writer,
you'll find this trick particularly useful.

Other indicators are the phrases "there is" and "there are,"
particularly at the start of sentences. "There are three writers working
on the project" can be edited to "Three writers work on the project."

Next week I'll try to provide more semiautomatic corrections. (If you
already have your own list, *please* send it to me so I can share it
with other subscribers: mailto:edi-@editorium.com.) In the meantime,
here's a list (slightly edited by me) provided by Microsoft Word expert
Steve Hudson (ste-@wright.com.au). Thanks, Steve! Some of the items are
for technical editing ("check," "tick," "up," "down"). Most, though, can
be used in any situation.

ATTEMPT TO KILL:
aforementioned
empowerment
take
make
were
was
has been
will
would
should
could
be
that
used/use/using
follow
get/got
put
way
did
*ly

CAREFULLY AND MANUALLY CHECK:
details (replace with "information")
check (replace with "set")
tick (replace with "set")
up (replace with "up arrow")
down (replace with "down arrow")
system (replace with something else if not being used generically)
say (replace with "show")
description (replace with "information")
explanation (replace with "information")
communicate (replace with "say," "tell," or "talk")
exponential (replace with "rapid")
feedback (does it mean anything?)
fortuitous (replace with "lucky")
input (does it mean anything?)
interface (replace with "connect)
paradigm (archetypal method? point of view? mindset?)
irony / ironic / ironically (implies the opposite of the literal sense)
linear (mathematical?)
synergy(increased energy through cooperative side-effects?)
and/or (rewrite to: ... and ... or ... or both)
that (restrictive & defining)
which (if nonrestrictive explanatory, set off in commas)
who (must be used with people)

READERS WRITE

Several subscribers provided useful tips this week. Many thanks to them
all!

Anne K. Bailey (an-@anne-bailey.com) wrote about automatically
replacing "%" with "percent":

"I would suggest that it is preferable to have the replacement be
'^spercent' (putting a nonbreaking space bfore the word 'percent'). This
would ensure that nowhere in the text would '75' (or whatever number) be
dangling at the end of one line with the word "percent" at the beginning
of the next.

"In my opinion, the nonbreaking space is extremely underutilized."

Where do *you* use nonbreaking spaces? Please let me know here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

Neil Hymans (ne-@techspeak.com.au) provided more information about the
Window and Popup Menu keys on Microsoft-compatible keyboards:

"The two extra keys discussed recently can do much more than open the
Start menu or simulate a right mouse click. When used in conjunction
with a 'key combination manager' (such as the amazing--and
*free*--Winkey from http://www.copernic.com/winkey/), they open up a
world of possibilities for new hotkey combinations.

"Some examples: I use WIN+W to start Word, WIN+X to start Excel, and
many others that suit my needs, secure in the knowledge that they aren't
conflicting with default key combinations of any other application.

Mike Brown (me_b-@excite.com) wrote:

"You can use the Windows key for shortcut key combinations, but I find
it most useful as OS shortcuts to useful functions.

"My favorite functions are Windows + M to minimize all open windows to
the Taskbar, Windows + R to display the Run dialog box (I like to run
batch files from the Run dialog box), Windows + F to open the Find
dialog, and Windows + E to open an Explorer window.

"I use Macro Express (a program to create macros throughout the system
or for any program), and I find the Windows key to be a great mnemonic
aid for system-level macros.

"If you have the Microsoft Natural keyboard or Intellitype software
installed, there are tons of other combos:

"http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q126/4/49.asp"

If you have helpful hints, questions, or comments you'd like to share in
Editorium Update, we'd be happy to consider them for publication. Please
email them here: mailto:hin-@editorium.com

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Actually, we're not taking advertising yet, but at some point we will
be. I just thought you should know.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm/.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2001 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.