Welcome Guest!
 Editorium Update
Editorium Update: Go2Text Macro  The Editorium
 Oct 10, 2001 07:17 PDT
Thanks for reading Editorium Update! The Editorium does not send
unsolicited email messages. You've received this newsletter because you
subscribed to it or a friend has forwarded it to you. To subscribe or
unsubscribe, see the instructions at the end of this message.

Editorium Update is published by the Editorium, which provides Microsoft
Word macros and other resources for publishing professionals. For more
information, visit us at http://www.editorium.com or send a blank email
message here: mailto:in-@editorium.com.

EDITORIUM UPDATE
Tips for Publishing Professionals Using Microsoft Word
October 10, 2001

Check out our first book: Total Word Domination: Secrets from the
Editorium to Help you Master Microsoft Word. If you like the Editorium
Update newsletter, please show your support by purchasing Total Word
Domination (only $7.95), an ebook that features the first year of
Editorium Update articles all in one place, formatted nicely for
Microsoft Reader, with a table of contents and searchable text.

Doug Clapp, proprietor of PocketPCPress says, "A marvelous guide that
will teach you to take Microsoft Word to its limit. How to use macros,
templates, shortcuts, special characters, customization features, and
much more. Full of specific, step-by-step examples that will take you
far beyond the basics. A rich and detailed guide for anyone who wants to
truly master Microsoft Word."

You can download Microsoft Reader (free!) here:

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/default.asp

You can review (and buy!) Total Word Domination here (right on the front
page!):

http://pocketpcpress.com

Thanks for your support!

GO2TEXT MACRO
By Jack M. Lyon (mailto:edi-@editorium.com)

When I'm editing in Word and see something I want to correct, I usually
have to use the cursor keys (repeatedly) to get to it, or I have to
reach for the mouse to select it. I finally got tired of both
alternatives and created a macro called Go2Text, which instantly takes
you to the character, word, or phrase you specify.

I'm giving away this macro! Subscribers to Editorium Update will be the
first to have it, but please feel free to share it with friends and
colleagues who might find it useful. After you've used it a few times,
you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

To download Go2Text for Word 6 or 7 (95), click here:

http://www.editorium.com/ftp/Go2Text6.zip

To download Go2Text for Word 8 (97) or above, click here:

http://www.editorium.com/ftp/Go2Text8.zip

The macro will work on both PC and Macintosh.

Once you've downloaded and unzipped (or unstuffed) the proper version of
the program, you'll see the documentation, which is named GO2TEXT.doc.
(Open it in Word to read it.) You'll also see the Go2Text template,
which is named GO2TEXT.DOT. (If you need software to unzip or unstuff
the program, you can download it from http://www.winzip.com or
http://www.aladdinsys.com.) To use the template, follow this procedure:

1. Open it in Microsoft Word.
2. Double-click the large button that says "Double-Click here to
Install."
3. Follow the prompts on your screen.

To use Go2Text to go to some text:

1. On your keyboard, press CTRL + SHIFT + G (which stands for
"Go2Text").
2. In the box labeled "Enter Text," type the text you want to go to. It
doesn't have to be far away. For example, if you see an error a few
paragraphs down from your cursor, just type the first few characters of
the error into the box.
3. Put a check in the boxes for any options you want to use.
4. Press Enter or click the OK button.

Go2Text will take you to the text you specified. It will also remember
your entry and options for the next time you use the program.

To repeat the last action of Go2Text without having to retype the text,
press CTRL + SHIFT + R (which stands for "Repeat"). The Go2Text dialog
will not appear, but Go2Text will take you to the next occurrence of the
text you specified earlier. You can keep repeating the action as many
times as you like.

Please see the program documentation for other options and niceties. I
hope you enjoy Go2Text!

READERS WRITE

Karen Slaney (ks-@earthlink.net) sent some terrific additions to the
automatic (or semiautomatic) corrections list, which you can learn more
about by reading these past issues of Editorium Update:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708048908
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708127357
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708293844
http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708382808

Thanks, Karen! Here are her additions:

period of time|period
made a decision|decided
OK|okay
O.K.|okay
email|e-mail
towards|toward
for awhile|for a while
literally|[nothing]
alot|a lot
each others'|each other's
one anothers'|one another's
he/she|he or she
him/her|him or her
my Mom|my mom
my Dad|my dad
someone that|someone who
,|,
.|.
reason why|reason
!!|!
!!!|!

Neil Hymans (ne-@techspeak.com.au) sent this excellent tip for using
Hidden formatting as a writing tool. Thanks, Neil!

Like all writers, my working copy is littered with half-finished
sentences and gems-to-be that I want to retain until I'm absolutely sure
I won't need them . . . but they are a real distraction when I'm trying
to read back clean text. My solution is to make them disappear and
reappear at will.

I have a global *character style* called "Hidden" (it is a character
style so it won't overwrite the existing paragraph style). It only has
two attributes: the text is hidden, and plum coloured for higher
visibility. I apply it using a simple hotkey combo (ALT+D works for me),
but it is easy enough to create a toolbar button or menu command to
apply the style to a selection, to suit personal preferences.

By default, Word doesn't display hidden text. I recorded two simple
macros: one to display hidden text, another to hide it. Once again,
these can also be configured to work from hotkeys, menu commands or
toolbar buttons according to preference.

When I despatch one of my creative gems to the literary boneyard, I
apply the "Hidden" style with ALT+D. In Word's default mode, it vanishes
instantly from the screen. When I get desperate for inspiration, I click
the button to display the boneyard again, and there it is. Should I
decide to reclaim the text, I simply select it and reapply the
appropriate paragraph style.

Best of all: it takes about two minutes to create this facility on any
version of Word.

Finally, there is an important caveat on this tip: don't rely on hidden
text if trashed text is potentially sensitive. Turn the hidden text
display on, then copy the public text to a new file for review (or
better still use the amazing "Editioning" template--thanks for that tip,
by the way!).

You can learn more about the "Editioning" template here:

http://www.topica.com/lists/editorium/read/message.html?mid=1708466498

If you have helpful hints, questions, or comments you'd like to share in
Editorium Update, we'd be happy to consider them for publication. Please
email them here: mailto:hin-@editorium.com

A WORD FROM OUR SPONSOR

Actually, we're not taking advertising yet, but at some point we will
be. I just thought you should know.

TELL A FRIEND ABOUT EDITORIUM UPDATE

Thanks for subscribing to Editorium Update. We publish the newsletter
free of charge, asking only that you forward it to friends and
associates who might find it useful. (Please get their approval before
you send it.) We'd also appreciate your suggestions for newsletter
articles and improvements. Please email your comments here:
mailto:edi-@editorium.com.

You can read past issues of the newsletter at
http://www.editorium.com/euindex.htm/.

THE FINE PRINT

Editorium Update (ISSN 1534-1283) is published by:

The EDITORIUM
Microsoft Word Add-Ins for Publishing Professionals
http://www.editorium.com

Copyright 2001 by the Editorium. All rights reserved. Editorium Update
and Editorium are trademarks of the Editorium.

You may manually forward Editorium Update in its entirety to others (but
not charge for it) and store it for your own use. Any other broadcast,
publication, retransmission, copying, or storage, without written
permission from the Editorium, is strictly prohibited.

Editorium Update is provided for informational purposes only and without
a warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not
limited to implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose, and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the
entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this document.

The Editorium is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.

We do not sell, rent, or give our subscriber list to anyone.