Welcome Guest!
 EGR
EGR: A Message from the Action Man  Christopher Locke
 Nov 07, 2001 02:40 PST
            Gonzo Marketing: Winning through Worst Practices
   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0738204080/entropygradientr
                     http://www.gonzomarkets.com

                 http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html

                  "Do you remember a guy that's been
                        In such an early song?
               I've heard a rumor from Ground Control.
                      Oh no, don't say its true.
              They got a message from the Action Man..."

               bowie - ashes to ashes - scary monsters

Valued Readers:

OK, enough is enough. This sedentary lifestyle is killing me. Time to
shake shit up again. Time for a little web action! Remember when we
just about brought down sixdegrees.com? If you've been on the EGR list
long enough, you do. The CFO sent me mail saying, "Who are you and why
are you doing this to us?" Or, just this year, how we, uh... sort of
"reorganized" Amazon's listmania lists? As a result, the following
query now yields over 900 hits.

   http://google.com/search?q=site:amazon.com+gonzo+marketing+listmania

So here's the deal. I promised The Guardian...

   http://www.guardian.co.uk

...that I'd write an article on weblogs. In fact, I promised its
computer editor, Jack Schofield, who's been on the EGR list forever
(sorry to out you here, old man; can't be helped). Problem is though:
what can you say about weblogs that isn't so vague and general that
it's hardly worth saying? Or worse, that hasn't already been said.
Better. By somebody else. Here's a good example.

   weblogs: a history and perspective
   http://www.rebeccablood.net/essays/weblog_history.html

Actually, what interests me most about weblogs is (you should forgive
the expression), memic propagation and amplification. And if there's
one thing that EGR (and by extension, or implosion, or somesuch, RB)
gets off on, it's... that's right, you guessed it: memic propagation
and amplification.

For this article, I spent most of yesterday (have to say Monday now, I
guess) talking to Dave Winer of weblogs.com (and so much else; who can
keep track?), and Ev Williams of Blogger, and Doc Searls of... well,
the now-infamous Doc Searls weblog. Doc doesn't call it memic
propagation, which yeah, I admit, sound like some Media Lab hack on
bad meth. He calls it "blogrolling." Coined the term, he did. The
analogy being to this American Heritage Dictionary definition:

   logrolling - n.

   The exchanging of political favors, especially the trading of
   influence or votes among legislators to achieve passage of projects
   that are of interest to one another. I've never done good things.

   The exchanging of favors or praise, as among artists, critics, or
   academics. I've never done bad things.

   [From the early American practice of neighbors gathering to help
   clear land by rolling off and burning felled timber. I never did
   anything out of the blue.]

You know: your basic influence peddling comes to the web. When you go
to Doc's blog (which you'll see in just a second if you follow the
simple directions coming up any second now), you'll see what he means
by blogrolling. I've adopted this convention -- as have about 100,000
other bloggers -- on the All-New-Chapter-11-Dot.Com-Memorial-Redesign
of...

   The EGR Weblog
   http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html

First note the DAYPOP search box (thanks and a tip o' the hat to Eric
Norlin; q.v. in the URL above). We'll come back to this presently.

Then note that Doc's site is at the top of the blogroll in the left
column. Place of honor cause he shamed me into this. Long story.
Anyway, click on that link and check his page. But come back here, you
know. Don't get mindlessly surfing around. We got work to do -- the
end result of which will put you on my list of bloggers. Maybe we need
to get procedural about this. Yeah, good idea. So here's whatcha do...

   1) If you don't already have a weblog (and you want one), go hook
      yourself up at:

         Blogger
         http://www.blogger.com

      ...or at any of Dave Winer's myriad make-yerself-a-weblog
      options. Here's a particularly powerful one -- which I'm still
      trying to figure out:

         Radio UserLand
         http://radio.userland.com

      Better still, if you have a 12-year-old kid, ask the kid.

   2) Register your weblog with DAYPOP by going here:

      http://www.daypop.com/submit.htm

   3) VERY IMPORTANT: add "RageBoy" (not that slimy fuck clocke) to
      your main weblog page. Link him to the EGR blogger. You can use
      something like this:

      <A HREF="http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html">RageBoy</A>

   4) Send me the URL of your weblog showing evidence of #3, along
      with three boxtops from any breakfast cereal made in Battle
      Creek Michigan, and I will...

   5) Stick your site on the EGR weblog honor roll.

That's blogrolling BIGTIME! Tell your friends too. Any number can
play! If the EGR Irregulars come through on this one, you should be
able to go back in a few days to...

   http://www.rageboy.com/blogger.html

...hit the default DAYPOP search (i.e., RageBoy), and see how many
hits we got. Yeah: WE. Because, if you follow these directions
carefully and nothing screws up anywhere along this convoluted Rube
Goldberg maze of twisty little passages, you'll see...

                         YOUR NAME IN LIGHTS!

Then, because I'll also write this little caper up for The Guardian,
so will lots of *Limeys* see Your Name In Lights! (If you are a Limey
already, please take no offense; this is the way you *have to* talk to
Americans if you want to get anywhere with them. Trust me.)

So see? This way, we'll have produced a lovely little demonstration of
memic propagation for the whole world to marvel at, and we can all win
one for the Gipper. Even though there is no meme. And no Gipper, for
that matter. Which makes it a sort of empty-zen-hacker-bodhisattva
thing. One flash of light. Senseless beauty. Random acts of kindness.
You know the drill.

Of course, to be brutally honest, I'll get even more fucking famous in
the process, and sell a whole shitload more books. But that's OK,
right? You don't mind, do you? All for the best, really, isn't it?

I'm happy. Hope you're happy too...

Major Thom

http://www.rageboy.com                http://www.topica.com/lists/egr