Welcome Guest!
 EGR
EGR/MB: white on rice  clo-@panix.com
 Oct 18, 2005 12:51 PDT

Valued Readers,

I've been posting little trivialities at <a
href="http://mysticbourgeoisie.blogspot.com/">Mystic Bourgeoisie
and EGR. Some of you
will doubtless ask: what's new about that? I you are among those
asking, for your penance say three rosaries and make a firm act of
contrition -- even though you may be right.

RB<font
face="courier">
style="font-size: 10pt; line-height: 0.8em;">mystic bourgeoisie

<a
href="http://mysticbourgeoisie.blogspot.com/2005/10/taste-of-volunteer-slavery-like-white.html"
title="permanent link">a taste of volunteer slavery - like white on
rice
Here's an interesting piece
from today's <a
href="http://www.ajc.com/news/content/living/food/1005/13rice.html"
target="_blank">Atlanta Constitution...
Campbell Coxe, a tall, sunburnt farmer, stepped up to the
microphone.
"This isn't whiiiite rice," he said, drawing out the
"white" with an exaggerated accent. "This is a gourmet rice."

Carolina Gold rice is that, and more. It's a grain with a past
gilded in wealth and shadowed by slavery.

Further down, the article mentions that
...the same boggy fields that aided rice cultivation helped
doom it
after the Civil War. Without slaves to work fields too soft for
mechanical harvesting, the rice industry dwindled. A hurricane finished
it off.
Those hurricanes, huh? They seem to finish off all sorts of things. Is
it just me, or does this revival of interest in Carolina Gold signal a
larger nostalgia for those halcyon days of white mastery? I guess it's
probably just me -- and a healthy market demand for pure and natural
organic products. OK, sorry I said anything. I'll be quiet now.