Welcome Guest!
 explore
Robert Stanek September 2004 Post  Thomas Green
 Oct 14, 2004 11:10 PDT

Dear Readers,

Many thanks to the fans who overwhelmed my publisher with email, letters
and faxes… Over 1,500 emails, letters and faxes in the past month! The
devil in me wants to say keep the emails, letters and faxes (FAXES???)
coming until my publisher cries uncle. Because Wow! that’s the most
correspondence I’ve ever received. I feel truly appreciated as a writer.
Sigh…

Okay, okay... Before things get out of hand, the angel in me wants to
set the record straight. So here goes…

Several film production companies, including Dream Works and Valhalla
Motion Pictures, have “expressed interest” in the Ruin Mist books and
other books I’ve written. There is, however, no definitive deal or
agreement, and I likely wouldn’t have signed an agreement at this time
either. Since the Ruin Mist books were first published, I have turned
down two major publishers who wanted to purchase Worldwide Rights to the
Ruin Mist books. The timing of those early deals wasn’t right.

In contrast to Stephen King who has said “Grab the money and run” with
regards to movie rights and the popular “Take the money and run” song by
the Steve Miller Band I believe it is more important to make the right
deals for the right reasons than to take the money and run. So I’m still
looking for the right deals and when they come, I will let fans know as
soon as possible right here on this web site.

Okay, so where is the world of Ruin Mist going next? In good old indie
style, my publisher is still doing the solo chicken dance. The next Ruin
Mist book for adults is Fields of Honor, due out in May 2005. The next
Ruin Mist book for children is In the Service of Dragons (Keeper
Martin’s Tales #5), also due out in May 2005. Work is also starting on:

Ruin Mist: The Roleplaying Game Guide
Ruin Mist: Peoples and Creatures Compendium
Battle for Ruin Mist™: The Trading Card Game

There are opportunities for writers, players, and readers who are
interested in helping out as freelancers. Sales of the books in the
United States, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom continue to be
strong. Translation news hasn’t changed much since last month, with
translations in the works or in discussion for Chinese, Korean, Russian,
Turkish, Japanese, Finnish, Danish, Spanish, German, Greek, and Italian.
The publisher has decided to do the audio edition of the Ruin Mist books
in-house and is contacting several well-known voice actors/narrators
including Jim Dale, the popular reader for the Harry Potter books. My
choice would be my good friend John Goodman (nope not that one), but
we’ll see how it goes.

Robert Stanek