Welcome Guest!
 Family Life
Break Out the Soapbox!  Topica Editorial
 Dec 15, 2000 17:40 PST
========================
Family Life Newsletter
========================

by Jenny Baker (jen-@get.topica.com)

Two of your primary concerns for your loved ones must surely be their
health and safety. You may be doing a good job, safety-wise, but
yesterday's report from the Center for Disease Control indicates that
Americans as a nation aren't doing so well on the health front. The
problem? We're fat. A larger percentage than ever of us overweight -- a
shocking 61 percent. And the number of Americans who aren't just
overweight, but are actually obese, has risen too: 26 percent of us are
grossly overweight.

So what's the problem here? Well, there are a couple of them. First,
despite our insuperable obsession with thinness, fewer Americans than
ever are doing the kind of regular exercise that would keep us fit. To
compensate, we turn to diet foods (have you noticed the prevalence of
"Lite" and "Reduced Fat" items on your grocery store shelves over the
past couple of years? That's no coincidence!). The trouble with that is
that while those foods may be lower in fat, they are not necessarily
lower in calories. Additionally, people tend to eat more of foods
considered "diet foods," and so they double their caloric intake. Too
many calories are also helping us to pack on the weight.

So what's this got to do with you (especially if you aren't overweight)?
Well, first of all, forewarned is forearmed. Second of all, it's an
epidemic whose repercussions will affect us all, especially with regard
to our health and the health of those we love. So, taking this minute to
get informed on the issue will turn out to be a minute well spent.

Head to the CDC to check out their report:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/pubs/pubd/hestats/obese/obse99.htm

Related Info at Topica

Women & Family Channel
http://www.topica.com/channels/women/