Welcome Guest!
 Times
THE FLAMINGO TIMES  Wildduck Publishing
 Oct 09, 2008 11:48 PDT

THE FLAMINGO TIMES

Welcome to THE FLAMINGO TIMES a Weekly Newsletter!
Thursday October 9th, 2008
Published weekly on Thursdays, give or take a day.
Mailed by request to anyone who loves good cooking, fun,
and a laugh here and there.
This is an opt in mailing list, you must join in order
to receive it. Subscribe/Unsubscribe directions are in
the signature of this newsletter.
Or Email to:
TheFlamingoTi-@yahoogroups.com
Or add from your current yahoo mail account.
Recipes, Humor, Cooking Tips, Links,
4 Great Recipes!
Fried Okra
Southern Okra
Bayou Gumbo
Crispy Fried Okra
Southern Word of the Week..and you might be a Redneck..
More Humor
Trivia Bytes
News From Possum Waller
Support America, Support our troops!
DAV site for phone cards for our troops.
http://www.operationuplink.org/
Laptops for the Wounded
http://www.laptopsforthewounded.com/
I urge you to boycott Citgo, why support terroism.
Fried Okra

1 pound okra pods, stem ends cut off -- sliced 1/4" thick
salt
cold water
cornmeal
salt and pepper -- to taste
Put sliced okra in a bowl, sprinkle with salt (liberally),
and cover with very cold water. Refrigerate for at least 1
hour. Drain; roll slices in cornmeal seasoned with salt and
pepper until well-coated. Fry in hot oil about 1/2-inch deep
until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
2 to 4 servings.
Southern Okra

1 cup okra -- sliced
1 small onion -- chopped
1/2 green bell pepper -- chopped
1/4 cup oil
1 cup thick tomato juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Cook okra in boiling salted water 10 minutes. Drain. Brown
onion and green pepper in salad oil. Add tomato juice, cook
slowly 5 minutes. Add okra and remaining ingredients. Cook
over low heat 5 minutes longer. Serves 4.
Bayou Gumbo

3 tablespoons Pillsbury Best All Purpose Flour
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 cups frozen cut okra
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (12-ounce) package frozen shelled deveined cooked medium
shrimp, rinsed
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
3 cups water
In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook,
stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about
10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place
flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Slow Cooker. Stir
in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water.
Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. When ready to serve,
cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, add
shrimp to gumbo mixture in slow cooker/Crock Pot; mix well.
Cover; cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes. Serve
gumbo over rice. Makes 6 servings.
Crispy Fried Okra

1 pound fresh okra
2 eggs, beaten
5 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
oil for deep frying
Wash okra and drain well; cut off both ends and discard.
Cut okra crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. In a bowl, combine
eggs and Tabasco; add okra and stir to coat. In a shallow dish,
combine cornmeal, salt and cayenne. Dip okra pieces into
cornmeal mixture to coat well. Heat oil in the deep fryer to
375 degrees. Fry okra in batches for 5 minutes or until
browned. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
Serves 4.
Sorry can't be responsible if you don't like it or doesn't
taste good ... can't test everything and I would weigh about
400 lb.. if I did!
Send us your recipe or kitchen tip:
flaming-@yahoo.com
Kitchen and Household Tips for this week:

BAKING

To prevent cakes from cracking while they cool, add one
envelope of unflavored gelatine to the dry ingredients of
any cake batter. This will prevent cracking, and will also
make the cake fuller. The gelatin does not change the flavor
or moistness of the cake.

Use unflavored dental floss to slice evenly and cleanly
through a cake or torte. Simply stretch a length of the
floss taut and press down through the cake.

If you have kitchen or household tips that you would like
to share with fellow readers, please jot them down and and
email them to:
flaming-@yahoo.com
Womens Revenge
What's the difference between a man and a catfish?
One is a bottom-feeding scum-sucker, and the other is a fish.
Dogs are Better than Men"
You can train a dog.
News from Possum Waller

I tell ya it is getting harder to find some humor in life that's for
sure. I
keep looking for it and some days I do find some. Seems I have to walk a

line and not tick somebody off, (not that I care). So the good news is
the
new outhouse is installed, the bad is that it is getting cold and it's a
long
walk out there, good news is the new catalogs are arriving, bad news
that there way to slick this year. Good news is that someone is printing
the zero dollar, maybe I can use that. But Fall is here and the woods
are
turning pretty shades colors. Good news is I took down the old sheet I
was using for curtains and put up some new sheets. Holidays are coming
so start shopping now.

              "Y'all have fun now, ya heah"
Take my wife...please
My wife drives the wrong way on a one way street. The cop pulled her
over and asked, "Where are you going?" My wife said, "I must be late,
everyone is all coming back!"
A little more humor ...

Ponderings
You know that little indestructible black box that is used on planes,
why
can't they make the whole plane out of the same substance?

Oneliners

You can't take it with you... and with high taxes, lawyer's fees, and
funeral
expenses, you can't leave it behind either.

Sign Your Cat is Overweight...
Rosanne fits through your kitty door without the aid of lubricants.

Things Women Would Like To Hear
You know, that Pam Anderson just doesn't seem to have the brain power
that I find so attractive in a woman.

Real Ads
Our experienced Mom will care for your child. Fenced yard, meals
and smacks included.
Now support our sponsors ... OK ... I mean I promised them you
would ... so go now, tell them I sent you ...
And if you would like to sponsor this newsletter email me:
flaming-@yahoo.com
Sugar Magnolias Antiques, Collectables Vintage Clothing, Purses, Shoes
Scarfs, Dresses and more!
http://sugmag.com
Avon, now you can order it at home no matter where you are!
http://dworden.avonrepresentative.com/
OK boring legal stuff ... but have to do it.
DISCLAIMER......C.1995-08
OK, we are copy written ... all original content that is.
Have fun with it, use the recipes ... laugh at the humor,
most content is contributed, don't have a clue where some
of it comes from, so, sorry not responsible for it ... send
it, print it, fax it, take it to work and use the Xerox
subsidy your company provides ... just mention our name in
a loving sensitive way OK?
...................Wildduck Publishing......................
           http://wildduckpublishing.com/
Support this newsletter by donating at the web site or going to Paypal
and making your donation to: flaming-@yahoo.com
Well that's it for this week ... if you missed a copy let me
know and I will forward it to you.
If you wish to personally communicate with me, send email to:
flaming-@yahoo.com
       Thanks for all your support! Keep reading OK!
                       Publishers Note:
Let us be thankful for fools. But for them the rest of us could not
succeed.
                       Mark Twain

.................Y'all have fun now ya heah!................